Selling a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a car

Time's come to trade in my car for an upgrade, obviously plenty of threads on selling bikes, but I wondered with selling a car what's the go? The value will probably be too high for people to want to lug around cash, but then on the other hand I can't see someone wanting to handover a chunk of money by bank transfer before taking it.

So just wondered what the go usually is, do people just insist on cash? or is there some other way? Paypal fees would be high and far from secure in themselves.

Have thought about seeing if a few dealers would sell it through the forecourt on commission, but guessing the fees would be extortionate. Anyone done that before and can advise what sort of markup they'd take? I'd be guessing 10-15% which is a bit more than I'd like.

Any other suggestions would be awesome - the last time I tried to sell a car via carsales I ended up part exchanging purely for the hassle factor involved with people calling wanting to turn up give a cheque and take the car away on the spot or turning up mob handed and wanting almost 50% off the price.. argh.

Cheers
    Last edited by Jaw; 14-12-2013, 08:24 AM.

When buying privately I usually leave cash deposit followed by bank cheque, its as good as cash.

With the lowballers you will always get them so up to you if you think its worth the effort.

Comment

true say guess they're never far off..

Is there anyway to verify a bank cheque's real? Just thinking out loud but what's to stop a try hard from printing a fake and racing off into the distance?

Comment

Bank cheque is usually the norm , or electronic transfer can be used.

Last bike I sold , one of our PSB'ers deposited a reasonable deposit in electronically and then paid the balance in cash on pick up. No worries either end and I met a pretty decent bloke out of it as well.

Have paid for a bike as well via D/D , and showed the owner the transfer going over , provided the authority number and off we went on our separate ways.

Sell it privately unless you are happy to get a kicking on trade in prices or consignment fees . Yes it can be a pain in the arse , but it is really not that horrible.

Too many people seem to want everything put in their laps and do nothing. This isn't the reality in a competitive market place. You are selling your vehicle against possibly thousands of others , so be friendly , be accommodating , and sell yourself as well.

This makes the car bit quite a bit easier and smoother , plus you might even make a new friend.

Once made an enquiry about a bike that had been stored for years. Was supposed to have been serviced but the owner was a bit less than onerous with the details of the service by the mechanic.

I emailed back and enquired if he could give me a plate or vin , or some identifying thing about the bike in order to find out what had been done to it in said service.

He was just non compliant with any info at all and abused me about wasting his time and that belts lasted for years as he was an automotive mechanic and knew that they were fine [?]. I promptly told him to get fucked as the bike had rubber belts and needed to make sure that they were checked or replaced as they are know to get unhappy very quickly after drying out for extended periods.

His arrogance resulted in no sale and the bike was still for sale at a heavily discounted price months later.
        Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaw View Post
          true say guess they're never far off..

Is there anyway to verify a bank cheque's real? Just thinking out loud but what's to stop a try hard from printing a fake and racing off into the distance?
          To get a bank cheque, someone will have had to give the bank the cash first.
          You cant really detect a forged bank cheque by looking at it, but I imagine they would be quite difficult to forge.
          If you really wanted to check, you could call the issuing bank with the number on the cheque before handing over the keys.
          If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.

Comment

expect to be dicked around a bit but you will get heaps more than a trade in.
            sigpic

Comment

i think you'll find a dealer will want more than that

what recon said about being helpful, a deal will only happen if both people are happy with the outcome.

price it properly against the others for sale privately and for people who turn up and want to offer you 50 % less, just look them straight in the eye and politely say "why" "or what reasons do did you have come to that figure" put the ball in their court

most of the time theres finance involved so 2 cheques, 1 to finance and one to you, but that should be the last thing on the deal, not part of it.
              I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by ReCon View Post
                Bank cheque is usually the norm , or electronic transfer can be used.

Last bike I sold , one of our PSB'ers deposited a reasonable deposit in electronically and then paid the balance in cash on pick up. No worries either end and I met a pretty decent bloke out of it as well.

Have paid for a bike as well via D/D , and showed the owner the transfer going over , provided the authority number and off we went on our separate ways.

Sell it privately unless you are happy to get a kicking on trade in prices or consignment fees . Yes it can be a pain in the arse , but it is really not that horrible.

Too many people seem to want everything put in their laps and do nothing. This isn't the reality in a competitive market place. You are selling your vehicle against possibly thousands of others , so be friendly , be accommodating , and sell yourself as well.

This makes the car bit quite a bit easier and smoother , plus you might even make a new friend.

Once made an enquiry about a bike that had been stored for years. Was supposed to have been serviced but the owner was a bit less than onerous with the details of the service by the mechanic.

I emailed back and enquired if he could give me a plate or vin , or some identifying thing about the bike in order to find out what had been done to it in said service.

He was just non compliant with any info at all and abused me about wasting his time and that belts lasted for years as he was an automotive mechanic and knew that they were fine [?]. I promptly told him to get fucked as the bike had rubber belts and needed to make sure that they were checked or replaced as they are know to get unhappy very quickly after drying out for extended periods.

His arrogance resulted in no sale and the bike was still for sale at a heavily discounted price months later.
                All valid info cheers I think it's dealing with the 'tards and bending over backwards that makes me want to think about a trade in to be honest, Selling m R1, priced about well under similar ones but had so much time wasted accomodating tyre kickers.. what can you do eh, I guess like you say just gotta keep smiling and helping as you never know when you might be turning away a potential sale.

Originally posted by stromrider View Post
                To get a bank cheque, someone will have had to give the bank the cash first.
                You cant really detect a forged bank cheque by looking at it, but I imagine they would be quite difficult to forge.
                If you really wanted to check, you could call the issuing bank with the number on the cheque before handing over the keys.
                Ah cool so bank cheques here are like pre-paid drafts? cheers, I might call around a few banks just to check they can verify them if I were to call up

Originally posted by Heretic View Post

what recon said about being helpful, a deal will only happen if both people are happy with the outcome.

price it properly against the others for sale privately and for people who turn up and want to offer you 50 % less, just look them straight in the eye and politely say "why" "or what reasons do did you have come to that figure" put the ball in their court

most of the time theres finance involved so 2 cheques, 1 to finance and one to you, but that should be the last thing on the deal, not part of it.
                More? ouch! guess that's that ruled out then! Ah fair point will have to think about price, difficult as I've never seen one the same for sale in aus, and only similar ones over east, haven't seen one in WA for the last two years - I wonder if it's worth over-egging the price by a decent margin to allow space for knockdowns, or if to just play hard-ball with whatever price I go for.. I guess putting it up people feel like they're getting a deal, but I Guess it puts off just as many people in the first place..

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post

Never thought of that one! Think I might keep it for a rainy day…
                  Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X