Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karijni National Park

Hey all,

Currently planning at camping trip to Karijini in back at the end of May/start of June. Have about 2 - 3 weeks to play with. Most likely two, maybe three fourbies driving up together. Our cars are mostly set up already with camping/lighting/cooking/water ect so we will be camping the whole time and will be self-sufficient.

Any advice for the trip there and back? Places I should definitely visit? I head to Kalbarri about twice a year but haven't been past there since I was a young boy.
    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
    1985 - 2009

bit out of the way but Corral bay or Exmouth could be worth a detour.

Karijini is great though in itself.
    Voltron-Evo. https://www.facebook.com/?_rdr=p#!/voltronmotorcycles

Comment

Should have mentioned other spots I had tentatively pencilled in were Shark bay, Exmouth, Coral bay (Ningaloo reef), maybe monkey mia, indee station? broome..
      1985 - 2009

Comment

Be prepared for a lot of corrugated dirt roads. That shit messes with vehicles!

Karijini is great, I remember camping there on the way to Broome and waking up at about 3am to a chorus of dingo howling from every direction. Was like nothing I've ever experienced.

The Nanaturra-Wittenoom road going north from Karijini is awesome, just keep your windows up when you go through Wittenoom, unless you're keen on mesothelioma.

Comment

took a korean film crew up there about 18 months ago 7 days perth to broome inland hwy

great trip as they paided for everything

biggest hassle was the wandering cows on the road didnt see a roo the whole trip but a few dingos

Karijini gorges are breath taking

good luck

what 4wd you taking?

Comment

Dales gorge is worth a visit, awesome pool at the base well worth a dip
            Originally posted by CBRsairz
            assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

We were up there a bit over a year ago.

Straight up Gt Northern to get there, drove through the night coz it's shit boring anyway and all the oversized stuff has to get off the road at night. Got there the next evening, stayed in the campsites near the eco "lodge".

Three days of walking gorges had us through most of them and it was a blast, after that the flies and red dust through /everything/ got a bit stale and it was time to move on. But what a fantastic three days it was.

Easy to forget but getting to Exmouth via Tom Price and Nanutarra is pretty much a full day's driving. Say g'day to [MENTION=7104]Desmo[/MENTION] and buy him a red can and a bottle of Ant-Rid whilst you're there. Go have a look at the ULF array and a swim down at Turquoise Bay. Hell, if there's a few of you and you're kitted up to tackle dunes, check in at the Ranger's station and take the coast <cough> "road" down to Coral Bay for some snorkelling and backpackers before moving on south.

I seriously wouldn't bother with Monkey Mia, it's a Jap tourist shit hole. Steep Point is worth a look just for the hell of it, as are the blowholes north of Carnarvon. Kalbarri is a sad old holiday destination for Perth people that has been left behind since we discovered Bali and is kinda lame and try-hard. Red Bluff on the coast is worth a walk, the coast cliffs are worth a walk, take a day and do the loop walk if you can be arsed with any more gorges after Karijini.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I used to spend alot of time there
                Dessert dulers are not for hot stone desserts , they are a shit tyre.
                the side walls stick out to far and cop a flogging.

I have on one trip there (not running shit tyres ) copped 6 flats is a 200 K run, very hot and unhappy camper.

As for the gorges, I like my long walks and used to take a back pack , water , some food , an iner tube and a pump, some parts i would strip down , get everything floating and swim sections that could not be walked.

Another great day out in
                Back pack with about 4 innertubes, a pump , Robe river in flood .
                Start at the old diggings , float your way down to perminant pool near pannawonica. Beers with the waiting crew and a BBQ.
                Awsome day.

Millstraem
                Innertube each (there is a theam here ) and one for the easky, easky lid has smokes , lighter , pack of cards , pot and bong. Gaffer tape for the emptys .
                play arshole
                The arsehole paddels back stroke whilst the winners drink beer untill the KING needs a new beer.
                Then its a freash beer Another round of arsehole and repeet.

+1 for exmouth , coral bay ,
                The fortesque river track is a belta also, a great revine the acts as a natral amplitheater , guns sound awsome with the echos slamming back at ya.

Yep I am a west aussi red neck .
                REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                (anarchy in english )

Comment

Make sure you visit weino (weano)? Gorge. Touch the walls on both sides as you walk in .
                  Millstream is a great spot.
                  Last edited by crimsondawn; 20-12-2013, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks heaps for all the advice guys really appreciate it.

AAA I'll be taking this:

Pretty capable and doesn't get stuck much .

Has a canopy on now and getting setup for engel and everything In the back.

The 35's are big tyres but I still get reasonable fuel figures and have 35" spare.

Mate has a wrangler which should be well set up by then.
                    1985 - 2009

Comment

My advice if you're taking Nanutarra Road and doing a bit of off road adventuring around Tom Price, would be to take 2 spares if you aren't running tubes.

Not 100% neccesary, but the high-iron rock around Tom Price and surrounds is nice and sharp and very hard, many days working there saw regularly me bust two tyres in the space of 50km when messing about doing construction work... personally I wouldn't be comfortable with just one... that said, they were rubbish all terrain tyres so if you've got some decent quality rubber you should get by okay (there are a couple of tyre shops in Tom Price though)

Karijini is great, there is a 4wd track to the top of Mount Nameless in Tom Price which claims to be the highest road in WA - either way, it is a fairly good view from the top. You can get a tour of the Rio Tom Price mine if you haven't seen much mining before - but if you have then it will be incredibly boring aha. Gnaraloo station is okay although getting a bit busy these days, Wittenoom is worth a look too. I would avoid heading inland til you have to, follow the coast most of the way - the scenery becomes monotonous fairly quickly.

Comment

Thanks Stevo. About the spares was actually on my mind.
                        Getting roof racks put on so maybe I could fit 2 up there, or I have been considering getting a rear bar with a dual tyre carrier.

Have seen plenty of mining stuff before haha so will probably stick to the coast
                        1985 - 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Yagadan View Post
                          Thanks heaps for all the advice guys really appreciate it.

AAA I'll be taking this:

Pretty capable and doesn't get stuck much .

Has a canopy on now and getting setup for engel and everything In the back.

The 35's are big tyres but I still get reasonable fuel figures and have 35" spare.

Mate has a wrangler which should be well set up by then.
                          I'll be honest leave you muddies at home you won't need them a heavy duty tyre is about all you need the rocks are sharp and do tear into stuff the difficult terrain will be soft sand/red dust holes and again muddies are unhelpful (9 year pilbra exploration work), it gets cold overnight up there in winter keep that in mind. A lot of flat running and if you have space see if you can fit another tyre even if it isn't mounted, some of the remote roadhouses have a 100% mark up on tyres (Auski been chief offender) they will have mounting facilities though.

Expect buckets and buckets of flat running.
                          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

+ 1 for swapping those muddies out. also +1 for Indee station. Stopped there in 1998 for one night that turned into 3. Awesome fresh water springs.
                            euphoric, ZRX1200R, XSR900, XR400

Comment

Yeah now I've been thinking it over properly you guys have a good point. Will definately save me on fuel too.

Might try find some second hand 33 ATs which are in good nick for the trip.
                              1985 - 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X