LED LCD Or Plasma? Whattaya reckon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED LCD Or Plasma? Whattaya reckon?

Im gonna get a new TV in the Boxing day sales. My wife, bless her, decided we needed a new one so I didnt argue.

Budget is around $1500 I dont see the point in going over this, I want at least 55" but preferably 60" I dont care about 3d but I do want the smart shit in order to future proof it. 4K ones cost way too much so Im not going to go down that path.

Having read a few reviews it seems like LED is the future but all the tech head reviewers still prefer Plasma for picture quality, they only negative that ever comes out is not quite as bright in daylight.

But should I be seriously considering LED for any other reasons? Does anyone have opinions on the current models? Samsung and LG seem to have good smart Tv Systems,is anyone in the TV sales game?
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

I bought a 60" LED tv last week for $1800 I'm happy with it picture is good has all the smart tv stuff that I'm pretty impressed with. Wifi, in built recorder, linked up to my PC straight away meaning all d/l movies I can watch on the big screen without transferring them to thumb drives or external hd's.
    Sound is a but sketchy but I only have this screen for watching tv in the evening etc movies, sport and gaming I have a dedicated room
    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
      I bought a 60" LED tv last week for $1800 I'm happy with it picture is good has all the smart tv stuff that I'm pretty impressed with. Wifi, in built recorder, linked up to my PC straight away meaning all d/l movies I can watch on the big screen without transferring them to thumb drives or external hd's.
      Sound is a but sketchy but I only have this screen for watching tv in the evening etc movies, sport and gaming I have a dedicated room
      What brand?
      My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

I got a 60" LG Plasma and a 55" LG led. You can definitely tell the difference in picture quality but i'm not a fan of how the LED make movies and American Sitcoms look,It's So clear its like your standing behind the camera which is not necessarily a good thing just looks weird, Plus I cant get the LED smart shit to work without a hard Ethernet connection which I don't have in the bedroom(wont connect WIFI on this model) Both TVs are about 3 years old and given price I'd go Plasma, you can go bigger cheaper last I looked...3 years ago haha and if you can get smartTV hooked via wifi on a 60" plasma then I'd go that. Knowing what I know now anyway

Comment

I know its not in your budget but if you could get them to knock a bit off this looks a winner
          Samsung 64" Full HD 3D Capable Smart Plasma TV - TVs - TVs - TV & Home Theatre | Harvey Norman Australia

Comment

Originally posted by MJP View Post
            I know its not in your budget but if you could get them to knock a bit off this looks a winner
            Samsung 64" Full HD 3D Capable Smart Plasma TV - TVs - TVs - TV & Home Theatre | Harvey Norman Australia
            Yeah Cheers I was actually just reading a review on that one and it could be good I reckon at sale time a discount of down to 1500 or so could be do able. Its gets a good write up.

Comment

Keep in mind the power consumption if you care. Big plasma's used to ( and I assume still do ) use considerably more power than LCD.

Probably doesn't matter if you only use it a couple of hours a day but if you have a habit of falling asleep on the couch with the tv on as some of us do it could be worth considering.
              The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Plasma is better for picture quality as long as you don't have too much direct light, as they tend to reflect a bit more.
                We have an LG pm6700 60in plasma, and pretty happy with it for general telly. We use a projector for big movies but the LG certainly elicits no complaints.

Now that those panasonic muppets have foolishly decided to stop making plasmas, there might be some nice bargains to be had there?

Comment

Be warned post xmas sales are bullshit.

Good Guys show a marked up price and a false discount.
                  I took pics o a fridge they wante 2500 for that was now 3200 reduced from 4500. The first price was 3 days before xmas, we wen back because we thought we would take advantage of the HUGE discounts. Bunch of theiving bastards.

So in short, Runout stocks are far better deals than bogus psot xmas sales.

Oh and i saw some really nice LCD 3D Smart TV's in JB HiFi for about that money last week.
                  Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

We bought a 55" LG LED LCD earlier this year, with wifi, 3d capability and the Smart shit. Only just got internet installed, so we haven't used it to it's full, but quality's great, definitely beat out the plasmas at the same price range. Plus, even though we don't use it all that much, the energy efficiency is probably quite a bit better in comparison (although you might want to confirm that).

Comment

Originally posted by crowtribe View Post
                      We bought a 55" LG LED LCD earlier this year, with wifi, 3d capability and the Smart shit. Only just got internet installed, so we haven't used it to it's full, but quality's great, definitely beat out the plasmas at the same price range. Plus, even though we don't use it all that much, the energy efficiency is probably quite a bit better in comparison (although you might want to confirm that).
                      How did it beat out the plasmas?

Comment

I've got a 60" full hd 3d plasma smart samsung tv with wifi etc. I find the picture quality excellent but the tv gets quite hot throughout the day and they do use more energy.

Also when you transport them the must remain vertical.

I've had mine for 2 years and not had a problem.

The only bad thing about it is the shit sound. But I bought a home theatre system at the same time. Definitely worth it.

Comment

I picked up a Series 5 or Series 6 Samsung plasma last year with 3D and Smart TV features for < $900 from JB... picture quality is pretty good; 3D function while fun at the beginning, is now left unused. The best feature I enjoy is the PLEX App you can download, which I think Sony and LG doesnt have that feature yet... It does have the gloss screen so reflection is an issue, but it all depends on how you position your TV....

Comparing to the Sony LEDs I have, the picture is not as "sharp" as the Sony... granted that Sony does make shows looks like a handy cam video but its great for sports and games, while the Plasma can play console games on them, it is still not as sharp and smooth as the LEDs in my opinion... The samsung does give a more realistic picture when watching movies

Maybe it is an older plasma, but it did have a 4 star energy rating, though it does get pretty warm if you have it on long enough... the usual issues I have is having to put up with my cats plonking themselves in front of the TV for the heat.

have a look on Ozbargain... they sometime bring up some decent specials...
                          "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Redfern View Post
                            How did it beat out the plasmas?
                            Not sure how to put it, but there was a comparably priced Plasma in the same size (I think it was the Samsung Series 5 or 6) and side by side at Harvey Norman the LG was the forerunner for the overall quality of picture. It wasn't as good for fast motion sports, but we don't watch sports, so not a huge issue for us.

Maybe take a read of this frst to get an idea of what to compare between models - LCD vs plasma vs LED TV buyer's guide, but in general, your best bet is to duck into a HN or Good Guys and look at them in person to get an idea of what will work best for your requirements, even if you end up buying online.

Comment

Originally posted by crowtribe View Post
                              Not sure how to put it, but there was a comparably priced Plasma in the same size (I think it was the Samsung Series 5 or 6) and side by side at Harvey Norman the LG was the forerunner for the overall quality of picture. It wasn't as good for fast motion sports, but we don't watch sports, so not a huge issue for us.

Maybe take a read of this frst to get an idea of what to compare between models - LCD vs plasma vs LED TV buyer's guide, but in general, your best bet is to duck into a HN or Good Guys and look at them in person to get an idea of what will work best for your requirements, even if you end up buying online.

Yeah Im going to have a look at lunch as we have a HN across the road. I have read reports though that Plasmas always look worse due to the natural Brightness of LED making plasma look washed out, and becuase the usual Pixar stuff they show is more suited to LED as it is usually all colour and so you dont see that Black looks better on Plasma.

Who knows though, at the end of the day you dont go home and set up TVs side by side to compare them. My Plasma is 5 years old and I cant fault it for quality. For me it usually comes down to who has the best remote as that is what you have to deal with everyday, not if one TV has a slightly brighter or better black ratio.

Comment

Working...
                              X