Need family law advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need family law advice

Can anyone help me out with some family law advice? Have you had a child custody battle with an ex? Can you recomend a good lawyer? What did it cost you?

Will I have to sell my bike to pay for a lawyer to get my 3yo back from my ex?
    Only dead fish go with the flow

My son is going through this atm, just to get part custody.

I will ask him who his lawyer is, seems pretty good so far, he seems to pay a few thousand every court appearance, will end up costing him around $20k

This is only for part access, currently has access every weekend, one weekend for one day, the next for both, hoping to progress to full weekend and later on weeks when she starts scool, she is only 2 atm

From my son

My lawyer is Carrie Smith and she has been good for me. She was recommended to me by a friend who works for the Office of the Public Advocate.
    Last edited by Stoneville; 06-01-2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Need family law advice

Is your ex an unfit mother in any way you can prove?

Is access to the child a problem?

If neither of these scenarios apply, I think you may be wasting your time.

The only advice I would give is not to take any advice on here as gospel unless is it pro bono from somebody working in that field, or should I say minefield.

Good luck.

Comment

Represent yourself, paperwork is the hardest thing. Assuming she has already filed all you have to do is respond.

I use to have my kids every wednesday and every second weekend, she wanted them more so took me to court. I filed the paperwork asking for 50/50 and walked away with every second friday to wednesday and 50/50 on holidays. $100 for legal advice, simples ^_^ She shelled out over $16k to lose custody. Kids were 2 and 4 at the time.

Go in, tell the truth, state what you want, dont waste thousands for a mouth piece. Be proactive and have a plan for things like drop off points, holidays, school event, family events, christmas, easter and the like. Be nice, shit can go against you in court, like it did for my ex.

Not my first experience with the court system, need a hand with rentals i can help too.

Just my experience anyway.

Feel free to PM for more details.

Comment

I have not been through this. But its my understanding the system is weighted way towards the mother and you have to work from there..
          Good luck...

Comment

Avoid the courts, if your ex won't play nicely CSA will help out as long as your child support is in order.
            The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

Dads in Distress
              Mensline
              Mens Shed

Good luck with Lawyers and the Femmonazi playground that is the Family court Industry.

*Apologies for the Jaded response, many of us have been thru it, not many have survived

Comment

Originally posted by spud027 View Post
                I have not been through this. But its my understanding the system is weighted way towards the mother and you have to work from there..
                Good luck...
                Not taking sides, but from my experience its not a male/female situation, its who ever is the primary care giver gets most of the time. Kinda makes sence since they would be with the child most of the time and not have them in care. Providing they are stable that is.

Comment

Any parent who restricts custody of a child to the other parent without there being a damned good reason is a selfish cunt.
                  I hope it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Blade View Post
                    Not taking sides, but from my experience its not a male/female situation, its who ever is the primary care giver gets most of the time. Kinda makes sence since they would be with the child most of the time and not have them in care. Providing they are stable that is.
                    ^^^ This is exactly the case; not gender biased but very primary care biased; my Mum experienced this when she left my stepdad.

Comment

Paid 18k to local upper price law firm.
                      lost.
                      If she has the child chances are thats where its staying, continuity of parenting or some shit.
                      My best wishes and sympathy, this will be one of the shittest parts of your life, just remember it isnt the little ones fault, you are not the first or the last to be viciously f.cked over by our sexist draconian joke of a family law system.
                      Maintain your temper through the barrel of lying stupid garbage you hear.
                      No matter what, once it starts do not speak to your ex other than through solicitors or keepable email or text.
                      Get ready to hate women the government and court system.
                      Remember it isnt the little ones fault.
                      Maintain your sanity.
                      Best of luck and all the sympathy I can muster.
                      Ask not what your country can for do you,
                      But what is your country going to do to you next?

Comment

Remember to tell your little one it's not her fault and that Mummy and Daddy love her very much.

Comment

Also in Perth is a thing called the Mens Confraternity.
                          didnt deal with them myself but they are about helping chaps in this situation.
                          Maybe try a call?
                          Ask not what your country can for do you,
                          But what is your country going to do to you next?

Comment

Need family law advice

Originally posted by Rips View Post
                            Paid 18k to local upper price law firm.
                            lost.
                            If she has the child chances are thats where its staying, continuity of parenting or some shit.
                            My best wishes and sympathy, this will be one of the shittest parts of your life, just remember it isnt the little ones fault, you are not the first or the last to be viciously f.cked over by our sexist draconian joke of a family law system.
                            Maintain your temper through the barrel of lying stupid garbage you hear.
                            No matter what, once it starts do not speak to your ex other than through solicitors or keepable email or text.
                            Get ready to hate women the government and court system.
                            Maintain your sanity.
                            Best of luck and all the sympathy I can muster.
                            Every word of This + a million. Couldnt have said it better.

Spent 40k of my own in the last 2 1/2 yrs, and got absolutely nothing that the evil cow didn't want to give. Once you get the court involved it goes back to the 1970's theory that the mum always knows best. If there is no danger to the kids, or no reason to go against the mums wishes your fucked and the court will pump you out quickly so they can deal with the cases involving the kids safety. I was the primary carer, i am a very good dad, yet it doesn't mean shit when the mum lies to create her own little world where she is mother of the year. I fought an argument that was based entirely around the words "i'm the mother", no evidence, no justification, no danger or affidavits or ARO's or anything and guess what, i lost.
                            Write everything down, and i mean everything, dates and times if every conversation and handover and arrival and departure. If you dont it will get used against you later.

Bitter, yeah just a little. The family court system is a complete fucking lie and the only winners are the lawyers. Do everything you can to stay the fuck out of it!

Also, primary carer doesn't just mean the one who spends more time with the kids,
                            Last edited by Geeman; 06-01-2014, 02:34 PM.
                            Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

I can recommend Hearty & Tam family lawyers, mid range price wise, great to deal with and are not afraid to tell you to pull your head in or the reality you are facing.
                              My tip is try to get a female lawyer for anything involving kids, just my own experience having used both.
                              Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

Working...
                              X