ICE - In Case of Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICE - In Case of Emergency

Does anyone use this in their phone? I was thinking about this - what happens if we are injured at the side of the road, unconscious even, someone pulls your phone from your jacket (although if it's an iPhone it'll probably be smashed!) and goes to call your next of kin (obviously after the ambulance has arrived). Scrolling through your hundreds of contacts it's hard to tell who is related. If you put an ICE entry in, this makes it easy to identify who you want to be notified. However, this is only possible if you don't have a security pin code set!

What do you do to make it easier for your rescuer in this unfortunate event?
    RR#55.

On my Android phone I had "ICE - <phone number>" scrolling across the login screen. Not sure how to go about that on iPhone tho.

Comment

I would prefer they call the ambulance.

I always have my wallet on me, containing my drivers licence, which is sufficient so I presume emergency services can do whatever to contact my family.

Also, I have "PTO (please turn over) " tattoo'ed on my arse.

I spend more time in the ocean than my bike, so should I be found floating face down, I am hoping someone can decipher the code to save me.

Comment

Brilliant. On iPhone, went to contacts to edit ICE entry. Moved info down with thumb whilst taking screen shot. Then I saved this as my 'Lock Screen' wallpaper. Cheers
        RR#55.

Comment

Might work in the Nokia 3210 days, but now that Smartphones are essentially the gateway to some peoples lives (banking, work email, personal email, photo albums, other various services accessible via apps) I would hope that they have a security code on their phone which doesn't let anyone log into it with ease - which would be required if you have 'ICE' in your address book. I've seen Dr's promote 'ICE' a few times and it never makes sense to me because in my mind all phones are locked.

Oh, unless you have an iPhone 5 - I guess you could mash the critically injured persons thumb on the home button - aren't they fingerprint accessible now?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Delirious View Post
          Brilliant. On iPhone, went to contacts to edit ICE entry. Moved info down with thumb whilst taking screen shot. Then I saved this as my 'Lock Screen' wallpaper. Cheers
          This makes more sense.

Comment

Should seriously think about creating some kind of app that calls the ICE number if home button is pressed twice or something...

Could appeal to an enormous range of people.

Comment

Unless you don't trust the smartphone's lock and keep info locked within individual apps.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Pressy - The almighty Android button

Maybe use this and standardize a sequence in the programming.

In fact im going to email the Pressy guys and ask.

edit: changed the link
                A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

Few people i ride with have printed ICE info on a piece of paper and put it in rego disk holders attached to their number plate.

Only downside is that sometimes it jimmys itself up to cover the plate ^_^

Comment

I have a ICE contact on my phone and also on a card in my wallett.

Comment

I am amazed how many people think just of phones as means of getting information nowadays. Why not do it like Blazon and just have something in the format of a business card in your wallet next to your drivers license? You could even laminate it and it will work, even when the phone battery is flat, or the phone is broken or the phone is lost!

Comment

I keep emergency contacts on a card in my purse...which I never take with me on the bike

If I am involved in an incident, technically my next of kin is my legal husband...who I have been separated from for almost 3 years. Let's hope if he gets the call, I haven't pissed him off too much that week

You are right though, it is worth a bit of thought just to make the process a little bit faster and easier

Thinking further about that, on the bike I take money, my phone, lip gloss and hair ties...not a lot there to help me if I have an issue. Maybe ICE, DL and blood donor ID would be a better choice of items.
                        Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a unicorn.

Comment

I used to have ICE but thanks to the lock screen, it was kind of pointless.
                          Now, Android allows users to list phone contacts as emergency priority numbers, so would-be 'rescuers' only need to press on 'Emergency call' on the lock screen, and the bottom left icon (of 2 busts) to access the names and numbers.
                          To do this, you just have to edit the person's contact details and add them to the group called 'Priority Contact List'.

Comment

Originally posted by robbo85 View Post
                            I am amazed how many people think just of phones as means of getting information nowadays. Why not do it like Blazon and just have something in the format of a business card in your wallet next to your drivers license? You could even laminate it and it will work, even when the phone battery is flat, or the phone is broken or the phone is lost!
                            how many cards can you fit in your wallet though!? I am forever clearing them out!
                            RR#55.

Comment

Originally posted by Delirious View Post
                              how many cards can you fit in your wallet though!? I am forever clearing them out!
                              Well, just have one credit card instead of 10 and you'll be fine ^_^ - nah, seriously I have a lot of cards in my wallet, mainly my own business cards... so a thin laminated thing would not change anything for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X