Slow computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow computer

Are there any tech guys in the Southern River area who could take a look at our PC? For the past few weeks it has been slowing down - it's now at the point where it takes up to a minute to open the web browser. I have tried everything I know, including a system restore, uninstalling all unwanted programs, disk defrag, full system scan with Norton but all to no avail. It's turned into a real PITA. Having a 5 year old & a teenager who use it for everything has no doubt added a whole pile of junk behind the scenes perhaps a reformat is in order (computer is about 3 years old now I think)? Would happily supply a bottle of whatever or carton to anyone who could help.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

How to use MSCONFIG: NetSquirrel.com
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Do you still have your Windows and drivers CD's?

Comment

Run out of disk (swap file) space?!?

S.
        Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

PM sent.
          The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

I could do the reformat

BTW using norton I found to be resource hungry and slow compared to other av software.
            "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Download and run both Spybot Search & Destroy and also Malwarebytes and see how they go.

Comment

Get rid of Norton for a start...

Should be miles faster then.

Comment

Turn off Flash etc. and enable it for pages as you want it, not for every page and it's bloody ads.
                  If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.

Comment

Wont hurt to run CCleaner either, the clean on yr registry is fairly harmless, plus it gets rid of $hit you didn't know you had

Comment

Originally posted by robp69 View Post
                      Wont hurt to run CCleaner either, the clean on yr registry is fairly harmless, plus it gets rid of $hit you didn't know you had
                      2nd downloading and running crapcleaner

If still runs like shit, your teen has been a naughty boy/girl.

Thats all I'm gonna say ;-)

If you really think its not software/malware related, Ctrl alt del and view running programs, see what's chewing up your pcs resources. Then google those programs, see what the general concensus is about their credibility

Comment

Norton sucks so hard it blows... try this popular cleaner... keeps mine runnin' fast as it can

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
                        faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I've run all the suggested programs & turned off all the surplus start up applications. Task manager is showing 80 processes running when I have nothing open but Explorer, with a CPU usage running between 3-7% with a Physical Memory of 47% if that means anything to anyone. The browser still takes a bit of time to load but seems to have improved. I still think a re-format is in order to remove all the junk that has accumulated over the past couple of years - I'll try to find the Windows & driver CD's & get back to you all.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

you may not need your disks.

What kind of computer is it? (it may have a recovery partition which is quicker than using a CD).

Also may pay to check the smart status of the hard drive. (some of us who are more knowledgeable can do this for you if needed.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sumfun4me View Post
                              Thanks for all the help guys. I've run all the suggested programs & turned off all the surplus start up applications. Task manager is showing 80 processes running when I have nothing open but Explorer, with a CPU usage running between 3-7% with a Physical Memory of 47% if that means anything to anyone. The browser still takes a bit of time to load but seems to have improved. I still think a re-format is in order to remove all the junk that has accumulated over the past couple of years - I'll try to find the Windows & driver CD's & get back to you all.
                              80 processes is exactly the same as me. my system idles around 4%.

are you running vista? my vista install takes a loooong time to boot up i come back to after 10 minutes when cold booting, but its only ever cold booted when required for updating. otherwise its slept.

a fresh install probably would make it run the way it used to, but once you have downloaded and installed the last 7 years worth of patches and stuff (that you must because most are security related) i think it will slow down.

for me slow cold boot is not a problem my machine has enough CPU and mem to run it, my vista tower is still by far compared to tablets phones and laptops the fastest zero wait personal computer i own for execution.

also let it finish booting up before trying to use it. if you try to execute runtimes before its finished booting up then it will just bog worse because of the way the HDD efficiency is reduced when multitasking.
                              Originally posted by Bendito
                              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X