Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass alternatives for verge

Hi folks,

We have just built a limestone wall out the front and now need to do something to cover the land to the verge. Don't want grass (maintenance, retic, shitheads parking with hot tyres etc...). Don't want round pebbles cos they litter the road and shit ya when in your tyres. Not wanting to spend shitloads as it is on the gumnut section and don't want to spend every weekends pulling weeds out of pavers, we learnt our mistake by paving the backyard. I was aiming towards the larger stones (half fist size) but haven't seen anything that takes my fancy.

Pics, links or suggestion appreciTed,

Cheers,

BJ
    Originally posted by Rocket
    Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

road base, water it and compact it down hard and wont be an issue.
    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

You can get stuff to put under your pavers - a layer of black plastic-y stuff that'll stop weeds coming up (not sure how long it lasts for though). If you don't necessarily want it for parking purposes, have you considered groundcover plants that won't grow too high so as to impede the view of the road?

Comment

When we went to pave we discovered the council requires a certain % to be left as lawn or garden or there may be drainage issues. Never found out what exactly but they may want to charge you extra on your rates or put an drain in.

We just got small gravel which matched the earthy colours of the house and they were happy with that. It has gone quite hard so any weeds that pop up around the edges get rounded up every six months or so.
        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Australia's #1 rubber mulch supplier

Comment

I think your best bet is recycled asphalt. Basically crushed asphalt which gets rolled in and compacted that way. Not as expensive as new asphalt and even cheaper than roadbase. Less messy too when it gets wet...
            SP RACINGis supported by:
            MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
            Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
            Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Our verge looks like shit and The Dragon is telling me we should put wood chips or gravel or both out there. People sometimes park on it so I'm going to have to think about it some more. Hopefully she will forget.
              -

Comment

They call it once a year path weeder but it's more like every six months. Salts the earth so nothing grows and makes paver maintenance a hell of a lot easier.

Just get the DIY pack rather than premix. That way you can apply it faster with a watering can and make it an industrial strength mix.

Comment

This would look nice:

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

There's a guy on Barnes st in Innaloo, near The Saint, who has grown a front yard full of corn. Might be an option...

Comment

Pig Face
                      REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                      (anarchy in english )

Comment

Are you aloud to concrete the front bit that belongs to the council?

I want concrete as far as the eye can see....beutiful concrete and I will water it once a month to keep it looking good :-)

RR
                        http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

You gonna tie a hanky on your head and water it when it's hot?
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by RRossi View Post
                            Are you aloud to concrete the front bit that belongs to the council?

I want concrete as far as the eye can see....beutiful concrete and I will water it once a month to keep it looking good :-)

RR
                            Depends on what the shire regs are.

We have a quarter acre block but at the bottom of a cul de sac so not a great deal of street frontage.

Rang the shire and they sent a guy out to have a squizz.

As long as water runs off to the road it's not a problem.

Only drama is painting it every couple of years.

Comment

Mulch net.com if you want free mulch although you might have to share with the whole street as they will drop whatever is in the truck,could be 2 cubic metres or 20!
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X