A little detail on PSB’s Server, what makes it go "bing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little detail on PSB’s Server, what makes it go "bing"

Some general info on the server that runs PSB and why it costs so much for your general information if of interest.

This info is from Nath, our most awesome technical admin, a bloke this Board cant live without.

The primary reasons for moving to Amazon Web Services (AWS) was to be running on the leader in cloud services having experienced many issues with other smaller outfits, no other provider can match AWS for scale and flexibility. This also allowed us to move the hosting to Australia getting the content closer to the users and improving response times in the process.

The infrastructure consists of a load balancer typically front-ending two web application servers which run the forum software, this can be scaled up or down depending on load meaning we can add or remove web servers for maintenance or to address load requirements on the fly. The web servers are located in different availability zones (AZ) ( aka. data centres) providing resiliency should one AZ suffer an outage.

The web application servers talk to a Mult-AZ MySQL cluster meaning the primary database is replicated to a standby database located in another datacenter in realtime, in the event of a failure the standby database will take over the master roll and service will continue. The database is automatically backed up from the standby database (to reduce backup load) and can be cloned or restored within minutes.

Nerd.

Deej

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

WOW, I didn't understand any of that ....... Is it in a good looking box cover thing ? What colour is it ?
    It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Its a black box.
      All secret, arcane technology, indistinguishable from magic, is in a black box.

Comment

Using RDS, Route53 and AMI's with performance IOP EBSs I hope

**Disclaimer - AWS certified tech and seller of AWS services

Comment

For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Why is she touching the internet!
            Originally posted by CBRsairz
            assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

Because the Elders of the Internet permitted her to
              __________________________________________________ ____________
              "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                Who the bloody hell let a woman touch the internet?!?!?!?!?!?
                One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

That's pretty cool.
                  I didn't realise PSB was so big it needs load balancing.

R Class Since 18-09-2014

Comment

no heferlumps , no turtles but still you speak of white men magic , i call bullshit .
                    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                    (anarchy in english )

Comment

He called Nath

Comment

Originally posted by Electr0 View Post
                        That's pretty cool.

Have a look at the number of logged in users some time. I suspect the most impressive part is something PSB's admin staff are not exposed to directly as it is all virtualized: the storage system.

For an idea how important this is try and open say, 3-4 reasonably sized files on your PC at the same time and notice how much slower it goes vs. opening them one at a time (assuming you're not on SSD). Disks suck at multi-tasking.

Right now there are 588 users online, and peak we've hit has been over 1000 online at once. Every one of those users will be clicking "new posts" on a regular basis, writing new posts, etc. Sure, you can cache a lot of it in RAM, but eventually it needs to hit the disk.

Building a storage system to handle 1000 concurrent users is not cheap (I haven't seen the IOPs figures, but presumably they're significant). In PSB's case, amazon will provide a virtual disk hosted on some massive storage array, but if you were to try and build that with your own hardware you'd be looking at several tens of thousands of dollars - once every 3-5 years as it goes end-of-life (and thus, Amazon will charge $x,000 per year to rent it to you along with the network, processing, etc.).

edit:
                        And now you get an idea why image hosting was turned off - having half the internet linked to the babes thread would do bad things to performance
                        Last edited by thro; 31-01-2014, 02:47 PM.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Electr0 View Post
                          That's pretty cool.
                          Doesn't just provide load balancing but redundancy should one of their web servers go down. Decent load balancers can be purchased for well under $20k these days.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                            Using RDS, Route53 and AMI's with performance IOP EBSs I hope

**Disclaimer - AWS certified tech and seller of AWS services
                            Good to know!.

Please apply within to Nath. He needs some help!

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

I can also perhaps help out on weekends/evenings... will send nath a pm
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X