Can a phone company transfer you to a new plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a phone company transfer you to a new plan

I have been with Live Connected for 2 years now. I am on a BYO post paid plan for $17.00 per month. With out going into all the details I was getting $650 worth of calls, 2gb of data and free sms. They have just emailed me and said they are no longer offering that plan and they will be automatically be moving me to a new plan that will cost me $22.00 a month, $500 worth of calls, 0.5gb of data and free sms.

Clearly this plan is more expensive and not as good. Can they legally swap me over? I was not locked into a contact.
    Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Interesting - when I was doing a job for a phone company a large chunk of the work was supporting old plans which were no longer offered but which people still had hanging on because the telco wasn't allowed to bump them off.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Where can I get that plan for $17 a month that sounds awesome.
      My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

You are not locked in a contract, so they are not locked in a contract either...

Comment

Most Telco's will leave old plans running for customers already on them, and just not sign any new customers to those plans. The trick is the plan can be withdrawn in writing, which is what your Telco is doing here.

What they can't do without your permission is sign you to a contract, that plan they have offered might be a casual 'holding' plan, which will be very expensive. It's best to call/contact them and see what they can offer as an alternative, and as you aren't in a contract (or shouldn't be) you can just move if you don't like what they are offering.

Comment

My brother-in-law is on a plan that costs him $0 nearly every bill, he doesn't use his phone much and hardly gets any calls in, but he's hanging onto his plan, been on it for 10 years now, the biggest bill he got was $5, his days are numbered.

I'd say it's time to shop around, Telstra's $29 bring your own phone isn't too bad with all the extra's

Comment

Originally posted by Mart View Post
              Most Telco's will leave old plans running for customers already on them, and just not sign any new customers to those plans. The trick is the plan can be withdrawn in writing, which is what your Telco is doing here.

What they can't do without your permission is sign you to a contract, that plan they have offered might be a casual 'holding' plan, which will be very expensive. It's best to call/contact them and see what they can offer as an alternative, and as you aren't in a contract (or shouldn't be) you can just move if you don't like what they are offering.
              Thats it - They can notify you that they are removing the old offer and you've got the choice to migrate to the new plan or choose something that is more suitable for your needs before that date.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                You are not locked in a contract, so they are not locked in a contract either...
                As Rich says, if you're not on a contract with the company what makes you feel you're entitled to an indefinitely fixed price phone service?

Comment

Now that everyone is addicted to their phones, watch the upward price pressure start to kick in.
                  They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

I have a very similar plan to you with LC. Haven't received that email yet :S
                    ​You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
                      I have been with Live Connected for 2 years now. I am on a BYO post paid plan for $17.00 per month. With out going into all the details I was getting $650 worth of calls, 2gb of data and free sms. They have just emailed me and said they are no longer offering that plan and they will be automatically be moving me to a new plan that will cost me $22.00 a month, $500 worth of calls, 0.5gb of data and free sms.

Clearly this plan is more expensive and not as good. Can they legally swap me over? I was not locked into a contact.
                      No contract = yes.
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                        This. Thunderbird answered his own question.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                          No contract = yes.
                          It has nothing to do with a contract actually, it's part of the terms and conditions of service.

You probably didn't read it, but in just about every ISP/mobile/landline provider's T's & C's there is a proviso that says they can move you onto a new plan where you would be 'worse off' if you're given 21 days notice prior - if you want to leave during this time, you can do so without ANY penalty (contract break fees etc).
                          Last edited by crowtribe; 03-02-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Cheers for all the advice, The problem was I couldnt find any contract or terms of service for the plan I signed up for. Was hoping I could just stay on that one for ever. I guess I will be looking for a new provider.
                            Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by crowtribe View Post
                              It has nothing to do with a contract actually, it's part of the terms and conditions of service.
                              Well of course - but you only even get to THAT if you have a contract. No contract = bend over.
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X