Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Nye debating Evolution vs Creationism Live (7.55am)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Nye debating Evolution vs Creationism Live (7.55am)

Hi All,

Bill Nye is debating the question "Is creation a viable model of origins in today's modern, scientific era?" Live against Ken Ham on youtube in about 15 minutes.

Should be interesting overall although (IMO) giving the creationist theory a sense of legitimacy by accepting the debate is not a good thing.

Have a watch if you're interested.

Bill Nye vs Ken Ham
    Originally posted by CBRsairz
    assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Cool- should be good for the lols.

Isn't the other guy a literal, 6000 year old earth creationist. Bring on the polar opposites.

Comment

Yeah he's one of the new earth scientists. Basically they take the bible as a literal history of the world and taking into account the events described within decided that the entire history of the earth (according to the bible) was carried out in the last 7000 years. As a Biologist myself (particularly phylogenetic studies) this should be interesting; having said that the debate is being hosted by the creation museum and all the proceeds from the ticket sales are going to them constructed a new exhibit about Noah; which i think comes off as self serving. I would rather have seen this debate be carried out in a neutral location with proceeds going towards the education budget but that's just me.

I'm hoping it will be a well reasoned debate without too much hyperbole thrown in, CNN is moderating though...

Comment

Off to a good start with an ad for the museum

Comment

i'm not watching the stream at the moment, but i suspect this debate is like all the others - more about who can speak and look better on stage (something churchies are very good at because 'the sell' is all part of their job) and rather than who has facts and reason on their side.

Comment

Hmmm... I'll give it a few minutes...

Comment

So far it's ok, they've just finished the opening statements. The basis of the creationism argument at the moment seems to be there are creationists that are great scientists (which is true) and that evolutionary scientists are hijacking the word science and indoctrinating children that creationists can't do real science. So at the moment I feel that his argument is not strong and is more of an opinionated attack on traditional science rather than evidence based reasoning.

He also continually attacks scientists for as he sees it saying creationists can't do real science.

Comment

Why would you even dignify that religious nut job with a debate? Isn't it just adding legitimacy to his viewpoint?

Comment

Half way through Bill Nye's argument, has yet to state creationists can't be good scientists as raised by Ken Ham.

Comment

Bill Nye; not the best public speaker, is he?

Comment

I was only half paying attention while reading other shit... but I couldn't figure out who was arguing what side of the debate... was the Australian guy the one who believes the world is only 4000 years old?

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                        Bill Nye; not the best public speaker, is he?
                        He really isn't.

Comment

Generally skeptical scientists know not to debate religious nut jobs because the former are at a major disadvantage in that they are obliged to stick to facts while the latter just make stuff up.
                          -

Comment

Ken Ham: "The bible says all animals were vegetarians and got sick when they began eating meat" (Summarised)

The appearance i'm getting is that Ken is getting flustered by scientific evidence presently logically; his manner has gone from calm at the beginning to significantly faster speech, he also appears to be hunching his shoulders.

Comment

Took almost 2 hours but we have the statement "God made the stars and the planets and the universe to show us how great he is"

- - - Updated - - -

Took almost 2 hours but we have the statement "God made the stars and the planets and the universe to show us how great he is"

Comment

Working...
                              X