The future for Australia's economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future for Australia's economy?

Well, it seems manufacturing mass-market product is borked - Ford, Holden, Toyota etc - and even our vaunted resources sector is taking some hits (beyond the GFC fallout)

What are folks' views on a stable future for the nation?

I personally hope there is a reinvestment in things we once apon a time excelled at - science, education, medicine, financial, and service industries (things that have been sadly neglected - our human and intellectual resources) You can't punch above your weight in the globalisation race for cheap labour (one day industry WILL run out of labour markets to exploit) and digging stuff up will only last so long.
    Last edited by Skut; 12-02-2014, 11:16 PM.

Originally posted by Skut View Post
    Well, it seems manufacturing mass-market product is borked - Ford, Holden, Toyota etc - and even our vaunted resources sector is taking some hits (beyond the GFC fallout)

I personally hope there is a reinvestment in things we once apon a time excelled at - science, education, medicine, financial, and service industries (things that have been sadly neglected - our human and intellectual resources)
    I thought before mining we excelled at wheat and sheep.
    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

We're going to continue to be a resource driven economy for a good while yet. Wages and house prices will just come down, or the government will inflate the currency to cheapen labor here.

We simply do not have the population to do much else - setting up manufacturing plant for things like cars here is just not going to be cost effective - the local market is far too small. Apparently holden are doing design for GM here, and we do have an environment good for testing.

And yes, human resources (the industries you mention) is where we will live or die.

edit:
      I considered farming to be 'resources' above. But yeah.... farming in addition to mining. We've got a fuckload of space and nothing else to do with it.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Other countries have caught up or surpassed us in education, so it is difficult to see how we could get back our dominance in the fields you mentioned. I think we could possibly become a food bowl, but apart from that we're finished, just like the country we are still further economically modelling ourselves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Skut View Post
          We're ok for the rest of this decade.

2020s... *if* mining really backs off...

Then we're fucked. Absolutely fucked.
          One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

We could set up as a penal colony for others' dregs.
            Oh. Wait.

S.
            Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

I'd love more money invested into science, but given that's my field there's a bit of bias. Realistically i think that innovative agriculture could be the future, for example the vertical farming experiments in Holland. They're fantastic, each floor is dedicated to a different product, for example pig farming. The best bit is each floor is designed to complement and improve the efficiency of each other; the waste from pigs and cattle are used as fertilizer for the crops and the left overs from the crops are used to augment the feed for the animals.

Given the number of fantastic ideas that have come out of Australia (WiFi is one of the most commonly mentioned) I really hope that the science phobia/dismissiveness that is prevalent in this country gets pushed aside, but given how reluctant politicians are to adopt (or even acknowledge) new technologies that could open up new employment opportunities that most likely don't exist yet I can't see this happening.
              Originally posted by CBRsairz
              assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

Yep, after mining its all doom and gloom.

Plus side, properties on the northern coastal strip will be bargains when all the POMs go home.....
                Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Been thinking of buying in Iluka, I just may wait a little while longer.

Comment

We will be propped up over the next 10-25 years by LNG, oil and coal exports/construction. The amount of revenue this will generate will keep our shit together for a long time yet.

After that, who knows...
                    Originally posted by Rich...
                    You got me in trouble...

Comment

Call me a pessimist but all that will happen is the federal/state governments will push through the environmental assessments to allow shale oil deposits to be fracked.

Comment

We also have shale oil sands in SA that are almost viable to mine, enough to supply 25% of the worlds fuel needs for 20 years or something like that. just have to wait for the Aussie dollar to drop a bit more or / and the fuel price to go up a bit more apparently.

Comment

Liberals are and will run this country into oblivion

They have killed of vehicle manufacturing in this country
                          responsible for what will end up being hundreds of thousands of job loss's
                          They are cutting back on anything and everything usually that which will benefit the poorest and weakest.
                          They are selling of any asset they can get their hands on for a once off windfall so they can pretend th ebudget is not as screwed as it really is.

the economic future of Australia ?

Depression ?
                          Recession at best.

owned for raping and pillaging by the rest of the world highly likely.
                          National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

I think the last assessment i read mentioned that the field under coober pedy is potentially worth more than the Saudi oil fields

Comment

I'll post the latest employment stats soon when they get released by the ABS today.

Personally I think we need to spend more on infrastructure now for the future. It will create jobs and help our growing economy in 10+ years.

Dubs

Comment

Working...
                              X