Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling - 101 faq

Every day I sell something:

a product, an idea, a way of thinking, if my life was one word it would be “SELL” and if I was to add another it would be “Buy”
    So I basically I buy and sell every day as my Full time job along with my part time job along with my private life, we all do it some just don’t realise they do it?

Now what I have struggled with over the past decade is those that sell things privately at a price and have no interest in their product for months and months to only drop the price to a more reasonable price in order to get some interest?

Please help me understand why people do it this way and not putting a sharp realistic price and moving it on in a week or two at the max?

Examples I have seen right now

-A bike for 10k drops down to 9 k but has taken 2 months to get to this point and price? why waste 2 months of your life?? Life is short??

-A rental for $560 that has no interest at all?? And will need to go down to $530??? But Agents know better??

Make me understand what the masses are thinking, as right now I think you are “all” nuts?? Or maybe it’s the fact I have had 6 espresso’s?

RR
    http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Scenario the first:
    (simple ignorance + wishful thinking)

I paid $14,000 five years ago for that bike and I've added new oggies and levers, it must worth $14,500...

Oh, there's one in the shop for $13,500, oh well, I'll take the hit to move it fast.

No bites this week? Hmm, just a quiet week.

No bites THIS week? Hmm, just a quiet month?

HAI GUYS REALLY NEED TO SELL, (this will make it move) $13,499 now!

Few more weeks pass...

SHIT. NEED MUNNIEZ, WAI U STILL HEAR, BIEK!? >:-{

:looks at redbook, gumtree, quokka, etc:

OK, price drop to $8,900.

Scenario the second:
    No rush, some sucker out there.

Want to do well out of this and I can afford to wait. Pretty it up, add a bit of bling, get some decent photos and put it on for $17,500 ONO. Even if it takes 6 months, some muppet will eventually fall in love with it.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

It depends I suppose...

I have things fro sale that I don't care if they don't sell. So I set my price, and that's my price...

If I want to really sell something I set a sensible price and it's gone in no time...

I sold my Gixxer and never even advertised it...

Told some mates I was thinking about selling it and a price I wanted...

Bike was gone to the first person who heard about it and contacted me...

Comment

Originally posted by RRossi View Post
        Every day I sell something:

a product, an idea, a way of thinking, if my life was one word it would be “SELL” and if I was to add another it would be “Buy”
        So I basically I buy and sell every day as my Full time job along with my part time job along with my private life, we all do it some just don’t realise they do it?

Now what I have struggled with over the past decade is those that sell things privately at a price and have no interest in their product for months and months to only drop the price to a more reasonable price in order to get some interest?

Please help me understand why people do it this way and not putting a sharp realistic price and moving it on in a week or two at the max?

Examples I have seen right now

-A bike for 10k drops down to 9 k but has taken 2 months to get to this point and price? why waste 2 months of your life?? Life is short??

-A rental for $560 that has no interest at all?? And will need to go down to $530??? But Agents know better??

Make me understand what the masses are thinking, as right now I think you are “all” nuts?? Or maybe it’s the fact I have had 6 espresso’s?

RR
        i'd really like you to describe your life as "dropping a torque wrench of to me"
        B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by RRossi View Post
          RR
          I think part of it is the emergence of free to advertise sites. People have nothing to lose by advertising and trying their luck, there's a sucker born every day after all. When you were paying for an advert every week or two there's a bit more incentive to be realistic and move it on.

Comment

Scenario the third
            Any less and I'd rather keep it.

When I sold my last Busa, well its carcass anyway, that sale was one of a few options including replacing the motor. Any less than the sale price and I would have been better off keeping it so there'd be a resounding "No, thanks, that's the price" to anyone making offers below.
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

"people don't buy what you do they buy why you do it"
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0H...e_gdata_player
              -

Comment

In fairness if someone saw the $10k bike and liked it, they would have probably tried offering $8k-$9k anyway... it could just be that no one wants that bike... or people on Gumtree might actually get away with shit like offering $5k for a $7k car that is already $1k below redbook (yes... my car...) so they might know that they can get that same $10k bike for $7k off some desperate bastard on Gumtree who needs the cash...

I do agree the 'game' is a bit annoying where people advertise things for sale for more than they expect to get, and people offer to buy them for far below that obviously hiked up price...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                  i'd really like you to describe your life as "dropping a torque wrench of to me"

get off my fat ass and pick it up tomorrow - should be yours tubby

RR
                  http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                    Scenario the third
                    Any less and I'd rather keep it.

When I sold my last Busa, well its carcass anyway, that sale was one of a few options including replacing the motor. Any less than the sale price and I would have been better off keeping it so there'd be a resounding "No, thanks, that's the price" to anyone making offers below.
                    what about the fourth scenario?

my wife wants me to sell it, as long as it looks like i'm trying to sell it then the heat is off

i don't really want to sell it....
                    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Its the Tell him he's dreaming clowns that make selling things hard , shit you could post a $4000 bike on gumtree for $10,000 and some clown will offer you $5000

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                        Got 2 here if ya desperate
                        yes, i am ignorant
                        yes, i am a prick
                        no, i don't care
                        you make me sick

Comment

Originally posted by rharris View Post
                          Its the Tell him he's dreaming clowns that make selling things hard , shit you could post a $4000 bike on gumtree for $10,000 and some clown will offer you $5000
                          And you could put a $10,000 bike up for $4,000 and some muppet will still try and lowball you for $2,000.

Comment

*fish basically covered it.

Anything less than $xyz and this is worth more to me than parting with it is.

Buy my fireblade.
                            Originally posted by Ferris
                            I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Had my clean '99 ZRX for sale @ $2K US. No takers. It was worth keeping. Tried to sell my (Working) 26' twin engine boat for $6K US. Several lookers, they felt it was a good deal, could not pull the trigger so I'm storing it until I return.

Sometimes the demand side is out of $.

Comment

Working...
                              X