Is there any hope for the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any hope for the USA?

I wonder sometimes. Mind you, I don't think that Oz would be far behind.

1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun: poll

Americans are enthusiastic about the promise of science but lack basic knowledge of it, with one in four unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun, said a poll out Friday.

The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Nine questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score - 6.5 correct - was barely a passing grade.

Just 74 per cent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

Fewer than half (48 per cent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.

The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.

Nearly 90 per cent said the benefits of science outweigh any dangers, and about the same number expressed interest in learning about medical discoveries.
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Bit bias asking if they "knew" humans evolved from animals when there are religious beliefs at play

Comment

Asking about the truth isn't being biased.
      "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

I wonder what Alfred Adler would have made of you.
        Your threads are so very often a completely transparent slur of those that you deem to be inferior.
        Interesting, only because of your vocation.

S.
        Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Not at all. I wasn't casting a slur on anyone - unlike you just did to me. I was lamenting the decline of the USA because of an apparent failure of the education system, and disagreeing that asking about the truth is being biased in any way.

Comment

The education system isn't failing over there.

It is working exactly as desired.

Does anyone seriously think that the USA could not educate their population properly if there was any political will to do so? They're getting exactly the situation they're paying for.

As far as their future goes:

those who are well off will continue to be well off
            those who are not, will become/continue to be modern day slaves
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Whom do you think desires that?

Comment

Their government. Clever people are more difficult to control, mislead, etc.
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I think they may have gone too far, if that's true.

Comment

How is the average score of 72% barely a passing grade?

What's a C in the USA?
                    This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

How can it not be true?

This is the nation that has been to the moon, launches satellites, and has maintained pretty much a constant war footing (hence, military spending) since the end of WW2.

They've had plenty of capacity to spend money to fix the problems. They have simply chosen not to.

I mean, B2 stealth bombers are $2bn each. Would they really miss one? Would $2 bn spent on eduction help, perhaps?

Comment

Yes, but I think they suffer from the same plight that we do - dumb politicians.

Comment

I don't think they're necessarily dumb. I suspect they are differently motivated.

They're definitely all about submission and control - hence the spending on the military and surveillance.

Comment

Yes, but not by seeking to improve their respective nations and the lives of the people they're supposed to serve.

Comment

Of course not. They're about serving those who paid for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X