Not bothering to vote - consequences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not bothering to vote - consequences?

I really can't be bothered voting again seeing as they couldn't get it right the first time. The info website says that a fine will be sent if you are enrolled but don't bother voting or don't have a legitimate reason for not voting.

Has anyway been sent a fine before? How do they enforce it?

If your name isn't ticked off at a polling station then you didn't vote. Yes they sometimes enforce it, it usually isn't a big issue. It is only a 50 dollar fine, so it isn't a huge issue if you don't.
    You should go vote, stop being lazy.

Comment

I heard them say that approximately 150,000 people will opt out of voting this election...which makes the whole thing seem like a waste of time and effort.
      “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

From the AEC website :

What happens if I do not vote?

After each election, the AEC will send a letter to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a valid and sufficient reason for failing to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within the time period specified on the notice, you fail to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or decline to pay the $20 penalty, then the matter may be referred to a court. If the matter is dealt with in court and you are found guilty, you may be fined up to $170 plus court costs and a criminal conviction may be recorded against you.
        You might as well vote (what is 5 -10 minutes of your time), it is supposed to be your voice in parliament, in matter of fact it more along the lines of you choosing the person (in the case of the lower house) and the people (in the senate) you choose to represent you. If you have a concern about something the government is doing contact your representatives in both houses, the best way is to send a written letter, they have to respond to it.

I have always thought of the election campaign as a very long job interview. Look for the party (or independant) that has the same values as yourself. The other side of the equation is look at where they direct their preferences, it is just as important if you vote above or below the line. If you find that there is a party high up in the preference distribution that you don't like, you're better off voting below the line and putting your choice of preferences in.
        DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

The consequences of not voting are muppets like Buswell in Parliament.

Comment

I have just filled in my form to say I am overseas and cannot participate in replacement of various West Australian senators, as required thanks to some African style election shenanigans (I have heard that “we lost the ballot papers” excuse so many times now, just never in my own country…).

The saves me from having to choose between the Labor/hang-on-I’ve-got-both-feet-lined-up-with-this-shotgun party and the Liberal/militant-puritanical-republican-wannabe party. The second string is even worse. The National party (I miss the 1950’s) or Clive Palmer (who I just strongly suspect should be in jail for something). No wonder the Australian Motorist Party got a seat in the last round.

You all have my sympathies.

Comment

Turn up, get your name ticked off and draw dicks on the ballot paper. We'll that's my plan at least.
              I'm torn between nuking the whole thing, and preserving it as an example of the sandiest vagina I've seen in a long while
              Me: " some cop would take a photo of you the first chance you go over the limit and no one would let you merge and someone would have thrown a stubbie through your window and chased you the rest of your journey for being in pole position. "

Comment

"can't be bothered to vote" is why we have the current cheap and cynical politics.

You can start a thread but not vote? Is it too hard to turn up on one day?

That's democracy for you
                Last edited by Skut; 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RubY View Post
                  Turn up, get your name ticked off and draw dicks on the ballot paper. We'll that's my plan at least.
                  Pretty sure that's classified as an informal ballot and goes to Liberal as they are current Government? Not entirely sure. Best option is to leave it blank.
                  Also there are already dicks on the Ballot...
                  PSN- DOOOM666

Comment

You want to be able to work in minning and all the other associated industries that depend on the minning/oil & Gas industries here in WA?
                    You want to be able to lower your energy costs including fuels?
                    You want to live in a secure economical/political country?
                    Then let the current government do it's job and vote liberal.
                    Not voting is being a retarded DICK with clumsy fingers and a brain like an ant!
                    Lots of previous generations have fought and laid down their life for this right!
                    Not bothering to place a valid vote means you are retarded and should shut up & suck it up on what ever happens in your life coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
                      Pretty sure that's classified as an informal ballot and goes to Liberal as they are current Government? Not entirely sure. Best option is to leave it blank.
                      What?
                      A blank ballot is also an informal ballot. Your vote doesn't go to anyone, they don't just decide you voted for the bloke in charge because he is a bit of a dick.

Comment

I can't remember any new policies that any government has done that was actually beneficial to myself or immediate family.

Remind me what's the point of voting?

I don't want either of em in power, as none of them seem genuine about providing a better country for the future.
                        Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
                          What?
                          A blank ballot is also an informal ballot. Your vote doesn't go to anyone, they don't just decide you voted for the bloke in charge because he is a bit of a dick.
                          Well there you go... I was told otherwise. Thanks for clearing that up...
                          PSN- DOOOM666

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
                            WOT Stinky???????? Did you make that up or did someone tell you that when you were a kid?

Comment

Originally posted by henrys View Post
                              WOT Stinky???????? Did you make that up or did someone tell you that when you were a kid?
                              Look up
                              PSN- DOOOM666

Comment

Working...
                              X