Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by somebodyelse View Post
    personally I don't think the fine is high enough
    non voters should have all their assets nationalised, their citizenship revoked and be sent off to a off shore refugee camp
    any complaints to be met with
    "go and complain to your local member, oh, You don't have one, stiff."

too extreme?
    Sounds like you want to be president of the world...

Comment

• Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
      I would actually disagree with that one, The less people that vote / give a f**k, the less people that they have to try to convince that they should vote for them and 'buying' votes becomes much more prolific and much more affordable. It also means that they only end up representing those people they may have targeted during their campaign.

For example, chances are the greens voters are much more politically motivated than the labor / Liberal voters, if we went to non- mandatory voting, I would expect the libs and labor votes would drop significantly, yet the greens would not see the same scale of a drop in votes, end result they get more percentage of the vote (and most likely more seats), even though less people actually voted for them. And the proportion of the country that would rather Liberal or labor to be in those seats has not changed.
      Even if that is the case, your second paragraph semi-confirmed what I am saying.... It is for their own benefit

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
      Do postal vote with blank ballot?
      Again Uncle, you must cast the vote regardless....
      Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
      remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
      Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
      Who died while defending his right of way;
      He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
      But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

• You don't have to vote in Australia...

There are ways around it and they do not fine you...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich... View Post
          You don't have to vote in Australia...

There are ways around it and they do not fine you...
          Especially if you are in the military. I was always 'absent on deployment' come voting time. Now I am older and can understand the policies a bit more (I like to think so anyway) I take the time to vote, but when I was younger I just couldn't give a shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
            Even if that is the case, your second paragraph semi-confirmed what I am saying.... It is for their own benefit
            What I am saying is that if voting was not mandatory, they would be less accountable to the general population, rather only a part of it, so it would be much more beneficial for the Politicians to have non-mandatory voting.

Comment

• Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
              I would actually disagree with that one, The less people that vote / give a f**k, the less people that they have to try to convince that they should vote for them and 'buying' votes becomes much more prolific and much more affordable. It also means that they only end up representing those people they may have targeted during their campaign.

For example, chances are the greens voters are much more politically motivated than the labor / Liberal voters, if we went to non- mandatory voting, I would expect the libs and labor votes would drop significantly, yet the greens would not see the same scale of a drop in votes, end result they get more percentage of the vote (and most likely more seats), even though less people actually voted for them. And the proportion of the country that would rather Liberal or labor to be in those seats has not changed.
              ^^^This is is pretty much how it goes. The only thing to add is that the parties are state funded by how many votes they get. That's more to do with advertising budget than vote buying.
              People don't seem to quite grasp that compulsory voting is new. Compulsory enrolement is from 1912 and compulsory voting is from 1924. Compulsory Voting - Australian Electoral Commission

Comment

• Originally posted by boeman View Post
                I shouldn't be penalised for not repeating a task I did correctly the first time.
                This^^ It should be a good enough reason for not voting in this rerun the fact that you HAVE already voted in the election but the AEC fucked it up :o

Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
                The only thing to add is that the parties are state funded by how many votes they get.
                And this ladies and gents is why the pollies will never get rid of it, it just makes too much money for them :o Just like speed cameras, even if accidents etc dropped they want the $
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• The beauty of living in a democratic society such as ours, if you are unhappy with the compulsory voting law, you have the right to petition your local member to introduce a bill to have this law repealed. If you are unhappy with their response, you are able to vote for a person who you believes WILL introduce such a bill.

Notice how the election process does not actually have any bearing on the law unless of course it is a referendum on a specific one?
                  Not sure I can simplify it any more than that.
                  Can you help with foster care?
                  http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

• Anyone who thinks optional voting is a better idea than compulsory voting needs to go to a few local govt meetings...

There you will see how people elected into positions of power and authority by a few friends, and people like developers and builders, can rain shit into your life like there's no tomorrow.....
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

• Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                      And this ladies and gents is why the pollies will never get rid of it, it just makes too much money for them :o Just like speed cameras, even if accidents etc dropped they want the $
                      It's actually from relatively recent legislation. Late in the Hawk era IIRC. There's nothing stopping it from being changed to percentaged, raised, removed, or any other alternative. Yes it would be nice for them to take their noses out of the publicly funded trough, but there is an argument that by them being publicly funded there is less incentive for them to seek finding from individuals and business. supposedly it lowers the risk of corrupt relationships between the party and business or wealthy individuals.
                      I think one of the reasons they haven't removed compulsory voting is that not only has it been in place for the best part of a century, there is not consensus that it should be removed. It's one of the more divisive issues that you can bring up, and neither party would really be able to agree on a position.
                      The other reason is that you aren't that likely to get fined, the fine is fuck all anyway, and you can just cast an informal ballot if you don't want to vote for anyone. To most people it simply isn't a big enough deal to try and get the law changed.
                      Seeing as the people who don't want to vote aren't going to be voting for their MP in the future there is really no incentive for them to bring up a private members bill. That's just me finding politics funny.

Comment

Working...
                      X