Guitar tutor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar tutor?

Ok I have been self learning the guitar for over 9 months or so...just started picking songs rather than struming...even walked a chord....backwards...talk about choosing the harder route....although I think it makes little difference whether its forward or backwards.

Anyway I wondered if any one here could recommend a tutor...I dont want to learn music...just help with more obscure and difficult chords, some good strum/pick practice patterns and help with smoother transition from chord to chord.

I know practice makes perfect but its no use practicing something wrong to get better at it if you see what I mean.

Thanks for any help.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

I don't know if he still does it but try [MENTION=11568]mcmurray[/MENTION]

Comment

Pffft.

E - 022100
      A - 002220
      D - 000232

Worked for ACDC.

Comment

^^ and you can musically tell someone to eat a dick.

Comment

Just out of idle curiosity what are those numbers....keep seeing them on tab...which by the way I dont like using...actually are they the string/fret combo's?

Comment

Ok will contact as many as I can when there are some more.

Comment

They're the fret on relevant strings, so:

0 = open E string
              2 = 2nd fret A string
              2 = 2nd fret D string
              1 = 1st fret G string
              0 = open B string
              0 = open e String

Looking at it from the top of the fret board to the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                Just out of idle curiosity what are those numbers....keep seeing them on tab...which by the way I dont like using...actually are they the string/fret combo's?
                So each number is the fret. 0 being open string, 1 being the first fret from the headstock and etc.

The numbers from left to right are the equivalent of you looking down on the strings if you were the one playing the guitar.

So E major 022100 looking down would see the "top" string open, then the next string have you finger on the 2nd fret, next string your finger on the 2nd fret, next string finger on 1st fret, then bottom two strings open.

Edit: Beaten with a much more simple explanation.

Comment

Yeah I figured it was...funny thing is I write it down as the string then fret...so the above, for me would be as follows.

2-2
                  3-2
                  4-1

with nothing for open or silent strings. The vertical format helps with the location of the strings and in the original format has to be so I suppose or it becomes too jumbled up.

Someone I know likes them written as fraction style...2/2...3/2 and so on. I dont know if this would be a problem when choosing a tutor...dont really want to re-learn and who is to say which is the correct way??

I supose a traditionalist would use tab or written music sheets...not where I want to go.

I was led to believe many accomplished guitarists cannot read music in the written form and simply rely on chord shapes. This may take a while as there are so many variations of each...which I suppose you become familiar with the more you play.

I have noticed that many songs have similar chord progressions to the extent that some are almost the same in part.
                  Last edited by BusaSteve; 09-04-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah I figured it was...funny thing is I write it down as the string then fret...so the above, for me would be as follows.

2-2
                    3-2
                    4-1

with nothing for open or silent strings. The vertical format helps with the location of the strings and in the original format has to be so I suppose or it becomes too jumbled up.
                    Really, that's just tab format with a superfluous number in front, though. You'll probably find tab format the easiest way to find music transcribed, so I'd suggest just getting used to that. Plus tabs are easier to do timing with.

A massive, massive help when I was learning was a program called TuxGuitar (there's a more common one called GuitarPro, but TuxGuitar is freeware and does the job just as well), into which tabs can be entered with timing information. It can really help with things that have more complex duration/timing information. People need to manually program the tab in, but then you can play it like a midi while reading it like a tab. For me, when I was struggling with timing on some of the more complex pieces I was learning, this really helped bring it all together.

^ This is 'learning by yourself' info. I haven't had lessons, so I don't know if they'll teach you by proper sheet music. I found as I started to get more serious, I did become more interested in learning it by sheet music (and thus learning where the notes were on the fretboard) as it helps you understand better, play from listening better, and transcribe things to suit your playing style better (I'd alter some tabs because I thought they had unnecessary movement when you could just play 4 frets down on a higher string, etc).
                    Last edited by Wilson; 09-04-2014, 12:55 PM.
                    Insert witty comment here

Comment

Ok I have been self learning the guitar for over 9 months or so...just started picking songs rather than struming...even walked a chord....backwards...talk about choosing the harder route....although I think it makes little difference whether its forward or backwards.

Anyway I wondered if any one here could recommend a tutor...I dont want to learn music...just help with more obscure and difficult chords, some good strum/pick practice patterns and help with smoother transition from chord to chord.

I know practice makes perfect but its no use practicing something wrong to get better at it if you see what I mean.

Thanks for any help.
                      Acoustic yeah?

I'd recommend seeing Ross Gibson in Gosnells. He'll teach you every obscure chord known to man, and the finer details of strumming. He'll also teach you how to pick properly, how to read music, and the black art of Jazz guitar.

The caveat is that he's definitely no rock/metal electric guitar teacher, so if you're looking to master vibrato, bends or downtuned djent metal (or any kind of playing with distortion) then look elsewhere. Judging by your post though he would suit your needs perfectly.

Comment

If you want someone to jam with I'm happy to help out. My music theory is a little rusty but I've been picking it up again since starting bass.
                        The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

Ok...yes acoustic and I had better qualify my position I am in Falcon atm...will be moving back to perth soon so local tutors are moot for the time being. I will definatly look into Ross Gibson...with a name like that he should be able to play! lol.

BOFH when I'm back in the metro I will certainly come along to kill a few songs...my theory is non existant so we should do well together...lol!

Comment

I need to start playing again. I paid a small fortune for a Maton during my apprenticeship and it no longer gets the love it deserves.

PSB jam sessions could be on the cards.

Comment

Working...
                            X