Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barfy's thread for 'getting it off your chest' v2.0

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yep, also high risk activities for example parasailing.

    Even if it is a legitimate claim, the insurer will make you jump through hoops. Be prepared to cover your own costs, possibly until after you return.
    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
      These bloody dickheads who don't get travel insurance when going overseas and then hurt themselves so they set up a gofundme to bail them out.

      Just saw a family looking to raise $18,000 to cover hospital costs and return flights in an Asian country...could have been avoided by taking out travel insurance for $100.

      It should be mandatory. To leave Australia you need your Australian passport and travel insurance. Protect these morons from themselves.
      Nah, it's not like motor vehicle insurance where your lack of insurance can cost me.
      Let 'em suffer. That's $18k that the insurance didn't have to pay out, so my policy is cheaper when I travel.
      You'd have to be an idiot, but there's no shortage of idiots.
      Originally posted by mekon
      Why are pirates called pirates?
      Because they Arrrrrr

      Comment


      • Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
        Yep, also high risk activities for example parasailing.

        Even if it is a legitimate claim, the insurer will make you jump through hoops. Be prepared to cover your own costs, possibly until after you return.
        Not always, depends on the company.
        My daughter got evacuated with altitude sickness when trekking in Nepal.
        A bottle of O2 at altitude (which is not cheap), two heli rides, hospital stay, cost of cancellation of the rest of the trek and changing her flights home.
        Didn't pay a cent at any point. Never even saw the bills.
        Originally posted by mekon
        Why are pirates called pirates?
        Because they Arrrrrr

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MikeL View Post
          Not always, depends on the company.
          My daughter got evacuated with altitude sickness when trekking in Nepal.
          A bottle of O2 at altitude (which is not cheap), two heli rides, hospital stay, cost of cancellation of the rest of the trek and changing her flights home.
          Didn't pay a cent at any point. Never even saw the bills.
          Depends on the company or the type of injury. For example, distal limb compound open fractures stabilised in a halo in Singapore.

          Every insurer wants you on a plane and back to Australia ASAP.

          Tell the insurer you want an operation in Singapore on the advice of the orthopaedic surgeon and all hell breaks loose.
          The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by chew View Post
            ^ Remember to read the fine print as well.

            If you stack a scooter in Indo and do not have a bike licence, travel insurance does not cover you.
            +1 Actually anything over 250cc even IF you have a full Oz MC licence still isn't covered on a lot of travel insurance policies


            Originally posted by MikeL View Post
            Not always, depends on the company.
            My daughter got evacuated with altitude sickness when trekking in Nepal.
            A bottle of O2 at altitude (which is not cheap), two heli rides, hospital stay, cost of cancellation of the rest of the trek and changing her flights home.
            Didn't pay a cent at any point. Never even saw the bills.
            Yep a mate of mine had the same when trekking in Nepal a year or so ago, don't know the insurer but AFAIK no cost to him
            He got lucky back in 2015 as well, flew out the day before the earthquake
            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
            Originally posted by Phildo
            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
            Originally posted by filbert
            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

            98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

            Comment


            • My girlfriend ended up in hospital in Bali after having her drink spiked. I paid $1000 upfront at the hospital but got the money from the insurance company pretty quick with no hassle.

              A few years ago I was in Switzerland with my brother skiing when his snowboard got tangled in a chairlift and he was dragged resulting in a broken arm. By the time things were finalised it was about a $15,000 bill (ski rescue, ambulance, hospital). Insurance company paid out within a day.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                My girlfriend ended up in hospital in Bali after having her drink spiked. I paid $1000 upfront at the hospital but got the money from the insurance company pretty quick with no hassle.

                A few years ago I was in Switzerland with my brother skiing when his snowboard got tangled in a chairlift and he was dragged resulting in a broken arm. By the time things were finalised it was about a $15,000 bill (ski rescue, ambulance, hospital). Insurance company paid out within a day.
                Can you drop the name of this company?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by wonky View Post
                  Can you drop the name of this company?
                  They were both whichever pamphlet the travel agent had on her desk at the time. This is going back 7/8 years now.

                  Comment


                  • Oh ok. I am actually trying to buy travel insurance today so I'll keep looking

                    Comment


                    • We've gone with RAC the last couple of years as we both have breakdown, house and car insurance with them so get a discount
                      They were great 2 years ago, I got a bug and was bed ridden for 3 days spewing & shitting , no food and drinking only PowerAde and eventually had to call the hotel Dr who came to see me in the room.
                      He then prescribed a bunch of medications which got me right in a couple of days When we got back it was just a matter of sending a receipt of the Dr's bill and they deposited the money in our account within a day or so
                      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                      Originally posted by Phildo
                      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                      Originally posted by filbert
                      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                      98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                      Comment


                      • You have to delve into the fine print if you plan on riding a motorcycle. Travelling to the US, one lot of insurance fine print noted that if you had a license for that class of motorcycle you were covered (HBF I think). Next trip I went with the travel insurance that came on the credit card (ANZ Travel Rewards I think) and it was restricted to 250 and under.
                        -

                        Comment


                        • Well done IT department, After 18 months or so of progressively "securing" my laptop against unwanted "intrusion", they've locked it up so much that not even I can use it.

                          And then when the replacement gets here apparently I have to deploy all the corporate software myself

                          Lesson: Never let the sales or service business get in the way of a good corporate IT policy.
                          I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality


                          Comment


                          • Reg/rectifier blew so we order ex-Eastern States after getting no love locally. Shipping 2-3 days and way less than the shops quoted.
                            The day it's due we check tracking and AusPost have slapped a week on top with no explantation. Grrr.

                            Every shop we spoke to said "yeah, common problem on those". Not common enough to stock the parts it seems!!
                            __________________________________________________ ____________
                            "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Sauer View Post
                              Reg/rectifier blew so we order ex-Eastern States after getting no love locally. Shipping 2-3 days and way less than the shops quoted.
                              The day it's due we check tracking and AusPost have slapped a week on top with no explantation. Grrr.

                              Every shop we spoke to said "yeah, common problem on those". Not common enough to stock the parts it seems!!
                              Put a Yammie R1 one on my VTR ages ago and never had an issue again.
                              They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sauer View Post
                                Reg/rectifier blew so we order ex-Eastern States after getting no love locally. Shipping 2-3 days and way less than the shops quoted.
                                The day it's due we check tracking and AusPost have slapped a week on top with no explantation. Grrr.

                                Every shop we spoke to said "yeah, common problem on those". Not common enough to stock the parts it seems!!
                                I feel for you mate Been trying to sort out a charging issue on my BB since last year, she'd run for about 20 mins and then all the gauges would start going haywire

                                Replaced the battery, no change, replaced the R/R which Gills had to get from over east although in my case it came in a day and a half

                                Unfortunately it still didn't solve the issue so changed the stator out for an Electrosport unit which I thought had solved the problem but no

                                Got Derek Ball around Wednesday who did lots of tests but still couldn't find anything amiss except there wasn't any charge getting to the battery
                                Connected up a known good R/R straight to the battery rather than through the loom which worked which he figured was because my R/R was shot again

                                Anyway he ordered another upgraded R/R and came around this morning to wire it in Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, he ended up tracking it back to a corroded/melted starter switch (probably melted by the old stator) which was allowing voltage to the R/R but not through to the battery so had overheated the R/R plug and killed the new R/R



                                Thankfully he managed to figure it out and rewired the switch and R/R plug which sorted the issues, not a cheap exercise but at least my Bird is running again



                                Now just need to finish putting the tail cowl and all the pannier racking back on so I can go for a ride

                                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                                Originally posted by Phildo
                                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                                Originally posted by filbert
                                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                                98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X