Wahoo and the gm grain debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wahoo and the gm grain debate

For anyone interested Wahoo, aka Julie will be on Australian Story tonight on ABC at 8pm
    Last edited by Louise8; 16-03-2015, 07:50 PM.
    sigpic Sponsored by (08) 9250 5567

My hometown, grew up with all involved in the sad and sorry debarcle.

Corporate giants can ggf, and so can the BS organic certification.

Comment

Fred and Mick are family friends, particularly close to my grandparents who farm-sit for them often and have for quite a few years now. Whilst I don't support GM, I don't support Monsanto, I think it's just incredibly sad what this case has done to them and their family, not only that but the friendship that the families previously shared.
      AKA Lady Jonas

Comment

Michael is the nicest bloke you'd ever meet.

approachable... and that's where it all went wrong.

Comment

Here's the link to the iview repeat of the program http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/aus.../NC1556Q007S00 hard to see an even ground being met on this sadly.
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe the organic guy should have erected proper fences when he decided to go GM free.
            -

Comment

What have I done? Get of my case!

Comment

Its a simple debate. Who do you think should be liable for any economic loss caused by GM? The GM patent owner, the GM grower, the non-GM grower or the government for ignoring the problem?
                It is a really sad case that should have been prevented by introducing proper liability regimes. Everybody knew contamination couldn't be prevented, everyone knew economic loss would occur but it is not fair to expect non-GM farmers to be liable for the economic loss that it caused.
                Government said take a common law remedy to sue the GM grower and this was a spearhead case. We tried to prevent it by making the GM patent owner liable for the economic loss they cause but it was denied as the government promised common law would work which involves farmer versus farmer.
                While this case is about an organic farmer, every single farmer delivering their grain to CBH agrees to terms and conditions where they promise they have no GM (zero) in any grain they deliver and agree to be liable if any loss of market, demurrage, recall of the product, contamination, cleanup etc which can amount to $millions.
                The GM patent owner gets rewarded for contamination under existing rules. We have the same end point royalty system as Brazil where all farmers end up paying Monsanto as any positive test allows them to deduct their user fee from all grain payments under the end point royalty system.
                The Minister for Agriculture holds the portfolio for the Ag Department who do the plant breeding and their company Intergrain got a $10.5m payment from Monsanto when the Minister said Yes to GM canola without any restrictions.
                Unfair liability needs to be sorted out before GM wheat is introduced as the reason no GM wheat is commercially grown anywhere in the world is because of the massive economic risk to others. Only one farmer needs to commercially grow it and the market perception of having GM unless it is proven you have not is far too expensive and difficult to avoid labelling as GM. As a result our existing government wants to remove the legislation we have to assess economics as they know GM wheat will fail. Overnight, WA could lose all wheat markets and unwanted wheat might just be dumped on parliament house for ignoring the problem.
                Didn't see the show myself as I was taking my daughter to the airport and while I was driving she was sending more than the one text out that I asked her to, hence Louise and a few others got that one. I'd rather be riding my bike.
                It is an extremely divisive debate but rather than argue the Yes/No debate, why not focus on what risk management is needed?
                Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

I'll be interested to see what happens in the next part of the story, but I feel sorry for all concerned. Ordinary people don't expect to be caught up this sort of thing.

I do believe there is a place for organic, GM and non-GM crops, but proper legislation needed to be in place a long time ago. There should an onus on the producer to ensure that they can produce a crop that meets the standard they subscribe to, and surely that includes protecting their crop from being contaminated AND from contaminating someone elses crop.

In my view, both parties are at fault, but both parties are victims of poor legislation to control this issue in the first place.

Is there research on how best to ensure that crops are not contaminated, or how to best control contamination? We have to do more to help farmers produce what we, as consumers, want. If we want organic, GM and non-GM, then we must help them achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                    Maybe the organic guy should have erected proper fences when he decided to go GM free.
                    How do fences stop pollen etc floating onto a property or bees/birds carrying it? Serious question Also I was under the impression that all grain etc used to be GM free and the GM stuff was the new one coming along
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                      How do fences stop pollen etc floating onto a property or bees/birds carrying it? Serious question Also I was under the impression that all grain etc used to be GM free and the GM stuff was the new one coming along
                      Spot on... the GM is the newcomer and contamination can not be prevented. Legally to sell a product labelled "non-GM" or "GM-free" it means zero contamination which is not possible. I was on the parliamentary advisory committee that prepared a report trying to address the problem and the pro-GM side said contamination is to be accepted because it is not possible to prevent contamination. The report clearly stated there was a major problem with unfair liability. So those pushing GM (which included the Libs and Multi-National party) said "She'll be right mate!" knowing full well it wouldn't be but expect those not wanting GM to pay for the economic loss it causes.
                      Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo View Post
                        Spot on... the GM is the newcomer and contamination can not be prevented. Legally to sell a product labelled "non-GM" or "GM-free" it means zero contamination which is not possible. I was on the parliamentary advisory committee that prepared a report trying to address the problem and the pro-GM side said contamination is to be accepted because it is not possible to prevent contamination. The report clearly stated there was a major problem with unfair liability. So those pushing GM (which included the Libs and Multi-National party) said "She'll be right mate!" knowing full well it wouldn't be but expect those not wanting GM to pay for the economic loss it causes.
                        Monsanto must be rubbing their hands with glee. If there's no way to prevent contamination, if they've been clear about that from the beginning, and if the government accepted this risk, then it looks like Monsanto are the only winners in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Trashed View Post
                          Monsanto must be rubbing their hands with glee. If there's no way to prevent contamination, if they've been clear about that from the beginning, and if the government accepted this risk, then it looks like Monsanto are the only winners in this.
                          Deliberate fait accompli - much like Hardie delaying and appealing court cases of mesothelioma sufferers until the victims died. Everyone just puts their hands in the air, shrugs, and says "Oh well, too late. Oops."

Comment

What an awful situation for all those involved, it seems that the Organic label will eventually be lost through no fault of their own for all Australian farmers as none will be able to guarantee 100% gm free crops. The only way will be to import from gm free countries....
                            sigpic Sponsored by (08) 9250 5567

Comment

Originally posted by Louise8 View Post
                              What an awful situation for all those involved, it seems that the Organic label will eventually be lost through no fault of their own for all Australian farmers as none will be able to guarantee 100% gm free crops. The only way will be to import from gm free countries....
                              Kind of ironic for an island nation that is usually paranoid about agricultural quarantines. GM was simply invited in...

Comment

Working...
                              X