Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toyota Tundra Dually - Widest vehicle on the road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd prefer a trayback one for practicality of loading pallets and such.

Supervisor at my last job had an F350. Inside was awesome. Air con in the headrests to blow on your red neck/backsweat.

Comment

Originally posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
      or just get one of these:

infinitely more customisable in terms of body/tray/bed/engine/transmission combinations, better fuel economy, better offroad, more suited for towing...

oh, and you don't look like a total manchild driving it.
      Except lower power (215hp vs 440hp, 470 v 890ft/lb torque), lack of acceleration, higher fuel economy (more weight and frontal area) - especially when towing as that engine would be screaming, more road noise, worse suspension, cant park it in any carpark, interior is comparitavely crap as is standard features (sat nav, audio, leather etc). IMO the F250 would shit all over that in every way except for the option of building a truck body on the back of it.

While we get screwed here in Aus on teh price of the yank trucks, the price in the states would be massively in the F250's favour too.

Comment

Saw one at Bunnings yesterday. Wasn't getting potting mix though... but it was getting about 10 toilets.

Fit into a car bay OK. Didn't stick out too much, and didn't have four wheels on the rear axle.

I dig 'em

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
          Except lower power (215hp vs 440hp, 470 v 890ft/lb torque), lack of acceleration, higher fuel economy (more weight and frontal area) - especially when towing as that engine would be screaming, more road noise, worse suspension, cant park it in any carpark, interior is comparitavely crap as is standard features (sat nav, audio, leather etc). IMO the F250 would shit all over that in every way except for the option of building a truck body on the back of it.
          ???
          complaining about horsepower, acceleration, and leather seats... lol... I thought we were talking about a tow car/4wding type practical thing.
          but if you just want to pick up bags of potting mix from bunnings etc, you could do that with one of these:

for a fraction of the cost

...without looking like a manchild
          but I NEED neck warmers
          Originally posted by devolved
          I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Comment

Originally posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
            ?I thought we were talking about a tow car/4wding type practical thing.
            Yep - the F250 would be a much better tow car - engine woudlnt scream while trying to do the speed limit.
            From what I heard a while back F250 - not towing - 17L/100 (diesel), towing 3.5T of trailer + racecar +spares etc - 18L/100km. And that was the older engines, newer ones are probably better.

To compare
            Commodore VZ SS - 14L/100 not towing - 20L per hundred with the same rig on the back
            Commodore VZ SV6 - 11L/100 not towing - 23L per hundred with the same rig on the back

I have heard of them going as low as 17L/100km towing caravans when driven by senior citizens.

And could go more places on a 4x4 track. FWIW I saw one pull my borther out of the sand in Gnangara, looked like it made the earth turn while it stood still. Those trucks look like they would tip pretty quickly.

Comment

Major problem with them offroad is the actual extra track width. On a 2-wheel width track, you'll always have one side just off the side of the track, which will give you more punctures than normal. No problem on wide tracks of course, or sandhills.
              " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

Got the rodeo bogged on the beach down south once.

A relative of the mob I was staying with had the bloody big ford 4 x 4 thing with the 7 litre turbo diesel down for the weekend so I got the children to climb the sand dunes and call the house while I had a surf.

Long story short, we got ourselves out because the fucking thing was too heavy for the beach and the diffs caused too much drag anyway. What useless pieces of shit they are.
                They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                  Got the rodeo bogged on the beach down south once.

A relative of the mob I was staying with had the bloody big ford 4 x 4 thing with the 7 litre turbo diesel down for the weekend so I got the children to climb the sand dunes and call the house while I had a surf.

Long story short, we got ourselves out because the fucking thing was too heavy for the beach and the diffs caused too much drag anyway. What useless pieces of shit they are.
                  Probably the wrong tyres for sand driving then? - the tyres they come std with are useless for offroading (no different to landcruisers and patrols etc these days)

the one that pulled my brothers car out looked more like this:

Comment

Probably the wrong tyres for sand driving then? - the tyres they come std with are useless for offroading (no different to landcruisers and patrols etc these days)

For sand it would also come down to the weight and length of the wheelbase I reckon. They would sink/bottom out easy. Would be better using the weight to advantage, stopping on nearest hard stuff and winching your bogged chums out.

That said, I still want one.

Comment

Yep - the F250 would be a much better tow car - engine woudlnt scream while trying to do the speed limit.
                      From what I heard a while back F250 - not towing - 17L/100 (diesel), towing 3.5T of trailer + racecar +spares etc - 18L/100km. And that was the older engines, newer ones are probably better.

To compare
                      Commodore VZ SS - 14L/100 not towing - 20L per hundred with the same rig on the back
                      Commodore VZ SV6 - 11L/100 not towing - 23L per hundred with the same rig on the back

I have heard of them going as low as 17L/100km towing caravans when driven by senior citizens.

And could go more places on a 4x4 track. FWIW I saw one pull my borther out of the sand in Gnangara, looked like it made the earth turn while it stood still. Those trucks look like they would tip pretty quickly.
                      But you have to average that out to how much towing you do. If 10% of your driving is towing it's still cheaper to run the commodore.

Edit: Based on those numbers (I know, loose guesswork) you would need to be towing that same rig more than 50% of your driving to be using less fuel overall.
                      Originally posted by Desmo
                      Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                        But you have to average that out to how much towing you do. If 10% of your driving is towing it's still cheaper to run the commodore.

Edit: Based on those numbers (I know, loose guesswork) you would need to be towing that same rig more than 50% of your driving to be using less fuel overall.
                        Yeh, hence I reckon the vehicle is suited to my above situation/commercial situations.

Have it as a work car. Fill the tray with shit and have a trailer. Do your own pickups instead of deliveries. Then get the added bonus of being a douche/driving in comfort rather than a truck.

Also need obvious second car. Can't take Ms boeman out for hotwings in that thing. Everyone would see her clacker when she gets out.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                          'Why would you need a car that big?'

They are great for hauling heavy loads easily in comfort

'That rear end is ugly'

Dunno about ugly but it is FUCKIN WIDE!

'He's obviously compensating for something'

Compensating for drivers of lesser vehicles

'How does he park that in carparks?'

Depends on how good a driver he is

'Lane splitting is legal and he's infringing on my rights to split at warp speed'

Pffft, there's room to go under

'Why would you want to own something like that?'

You can really OWN the road, besides you'll never roll the fucker

Edit: For anyone wondering it's 2.5m wide. A Toyota Hilux is 1.76m wide.
                          Yeah that's because it's a dual wheel variant, the std version would be narrower, the std F250 is ~2031mm wide so I'd guess this would be similar
                          They have certainly gotten longer, taller & heavier over the years, 1978 F250 – Length: 5360mm, Width: 2022mm, Height: 1696mm, Weight: 1800kg. 2005 F250 – Length: 6289mm, Width: 2031mm, Height: 2039mm, Weight: 3089kg.

Interestingly power/weight and torque to weight was better on the old ones, 90W/kg & .238Nm/kg vs 56.7W/kg & .2214Nm/kg

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
                          Yeah new F252/350's are similar, partly exchange rate, partly conversion but mostly the fact there is really only one company converting them on masse so they charge like wounded bulls

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                          Once my building company is up and running in time, I will be getting an F series for a company car.

Will only be parked on building sites and loaded with shit. Can't be beat.
                          I had a 78 4WD SWB and a 79 2WD LWB and I loved both of them Nowhere near the luxury of the new ones though but a shit load easier to do work on yourself
                          That was when I was in the building game and for that stuff they were awesome, the amount of weight they could carry without issue was brilliant and able to carry all my tools around

Plus you can sleep 2 in comfort The 4WD was pretty good off-road too with the right tyres although a little wide for a lot of tracks
                          Parking I never really had an issue with even though they didn't have power steering, I found it easier to reverse into parking bays, even my missus was able to drive it
                          I use to say the reason I liked them so much was they were faster than anything bigger and bigger than anything faster
                          I don't know really where the dual wheel version would have much of a use though apart from maybe mine sites etc for extra payload
                          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                          Originally posted by Phildo
                          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                          Originally posted by filbert
                          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

I have a raging chubby for a mid 70's C10 step-side SWB.

Don't need 4wd, don't need it to carry anything. I just think they are fucking awesome.

Exactly like this one please.

Originally posted by Desmo
                            Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Still not much clearance under the diff and the front steering arms, this plus the weight is what fucks them in coarse sand. They would be ideal around Carnarvon and the Pilbara.

I was in the deep south on the weekend while some of the lads were swapping fucking big mud type tyres around and deciding what vehicle could turn them etc.

I made the suggestion they could modify the guard with a sledgehammer to get some more steering lock and that they should learn how to drive off road instead.

I really need to learn to be more diplomatic with pig hunter type people as they did not take my suggestion well.
                              They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by 06sti View Post
                                Saw that f650 for sale a few months back for $500k
                                Tell him he's dreaming. I've heard that the 650 comes with quiche heater in glove box which is rediculus really, it should be in the centre squab like it is in the tundra. I had one for a while - but after a big night on town, I forgot the 3 points of contact rule, fell out and became a quadraplegic. So that meant I could not change the back axle by myself anymore and had to let it go.

Good rig but, came with bow thrusters and pto to drill my own csg gas well so I could fill her up whenever I needed to and every Sunday I used to get under the front left wheel arch and clean out all the remains of dead cyclists.
                                You can't *burrrp* can't just post, just post anything you feel like morty, you just *burrp* just end up *burrp* end up hurting people's feelings morty I mean how, how would you like it if I said things that offended you morty?

Comment

Working...
                                X