Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you lose your job to a robot in your lifetime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Para045 View Post
    I wouldn't agree completely with that, most new autos are more fuel efficient, quicker, smoother and generally more reliable which is a big reason for the uptake Hell even F1 cars are probably closer to an auto than a traditional manual trans
    The auto transmissions are nowhere near as reliable as the manuals.
    They are plagued with the electronic bullshit problems. Major problem with Volvos if they are left in gear and shutdown.
    Can't neutralise them therefore can't start them again.
    Freightliner Roadrangers do it as well and other absolute bullshit crap!

I know. We will ring Kalgoolie and get a Volvo mechanic to come out to Caiguna and neutralise the box so it can be started. Not hard. They'll do it for a 6 pack.

An 18 speed RR manual, if it is in gear you push a foot on the clutch and remove it from gear and start it.
    If your clutch is fucked, you gear down and leave the fucker in low, turn it off.
    To leave, you turn the key and the mother fucker starts and you go home. Not stuck on the side of the road for three days while someone wastes their time to come and start your bucket of shit.

Automatic boxes are absolutely pathetic for towing multiple trailers in steep country.
    They are fucking useless for towing a single trailer up the Bell Line Road in the Blue Mountains.
    An auto will not change from 7th High Range Overdrive to 2nd Low Range Direct in one change.
    This what is required to pull over the Bell Line Rd.
    Piece of cake with manual. An auto stalls. It rolls back down the hill making grinding clanking and crunching noises although the engine is sitting on the rev limiter.
    Stop it, roll down the fucking hill to a suitable grade the the useless piece of shit can pull it's arse up. Which is fucking low gear. There is no bloody more below that.
    then you have to lock it in low so the Mother fucker does shift up when it reaches peak revs because when you hit the steep bit the useless piece of shit stalls out again.
    So you attack Bell Line in low gear and it takes you 40 friggin' minutes longer.
    And if you try to let if shift up or do it manually it can't do it quick enough and you are back to rolling back down the hill and trying again.

They put autos in trucks for a very good reason, so fucksticks that can't change a crash box can drive a truck.
    Did you know a synchro manual box requires more effort and strength to change than a crash box?
    The Europeans loved them before they found autos.
    why. Because they could not change a gear with a crash box to save ther fucking lives.
    It probably doesn't come as much of a surprise a lot of Yanks aren't very good at it either.

But remember. It is a very unskilled job and anyone can drive a truck.
    Anyone does now they are auto.

Comment

• Auto's may be better than back then but there appears to be an increase in the number of drivers who press the accelerator by mistake and plow into whatever happens to be at the side of the road...one in Mandurah where an older women plowed into three people sat at a bench...panicked when the car acclerated...luckily no one was killed.

As to truck driving being less skilled there seems to be a lot of them who will taigate you like hell.....had a few coming to Perth from Falcon while we were building. Loony fuckers would be right on your arse even though it was oviously impossibe to move any faster because of traffic in front...not just the smaller trucks either... big bastards too.
      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

• Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
        As to truck driving being less skilled there seems to be a lot of them who will taigate you like hell.....had a few coming to Perth from Falcon while we were building. Loony fuckers would be right on your arse even though it was oviously impossibe to move any faster because of traffic in front...not just the smaller trucks either... big bastards too.
        But if you leave a gap, people "push in" and can beat you.

Cant have that as it distracts while using the phone, having a fag and eating a pie.
        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

• Worksafe should ban those fucking pies...so many are too hot and you can burn yourself quiet badly....have to down a bottle Jack Danials to soothe it then....

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenMeanie View Post
            But remember. It is a very unskilled job and anyone can drive a truck.
            Anyone does now they are auto.
            I don't recall anyone (on this thread) implying driving a truck was unskilled.
            The problem drivers will face soon is that the skills required transfer very easily to AI.
            Not in rough country roads, but what percentage of trucks drive those routes?
            There's a hell of a lot of nice road out there that will be driven for 'free' 24/7.
            The technology is here now, the only thing currently stopping it is legislation.
            Originally posted by mekon
            Why are pirates called pirates?
            Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeL View Post
              I don't recall anyone (on this thread) implying driving a truck was unskilled.
              The problem drivers will face soon is that the skills required transfer very easily to AI.
              Not in rough country roads, but what percentage of trucks drive those routes?
              There's a hell of a lot of nice road out there that will be driven for 'free' 24/7.
              The technology is here now, the only thing currently stopping it is legislation.
              I did.
              All we do is sit on arses all day.
              Stop anyone in the street and ask them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                +1 I wanted to go to a place just off Dellamarta Rd the other day and for the hell of it punched it into my sat nav in the car despite knowing Wangara pretty well and it wanted to send me all over the place
                I'm not married, so I bought a GPS so I would have someone to argue with on long journeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by nos View Post
                  I'm not married, so I bought a GPS so I would have someone to argue with on long journeys.
                  I want a GPS with Tourette Syndrome so that it calls me a cunt and tells me to get fucked every few km.

I reckon that'd go down really well in a taxi.
                  One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                    I want a GPS with Tourette Syndrome so that it calls me a cunt and tells me to get fucked every few km.

You got lots of abuse last night!

Comment

You got lots of abuse last night!
                      The bike abused me, and I abused it.

The clutch - I won't need Tourette Syndrome to come up with words to describe that one.

I mucked up on the corner marking, though. Sorry. Too damn focussed on not crashing.
                      One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

The auto transmissions are nowhere near as reliable as the manuals.
                        I wasn't referring to trucks at all in my reply to Kristy, was regarding auto's in cars which is what I assumed she was referring to given the 2/3 of vehicles comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                        Auto's may be better than back then but there appears to be an increase in the number of drivers who press the accelerator by mistake and plow into whatever happens to be at the side of the road...one in Mandurah where an older women plowed into three people sat at a bench...panicked when the car acclerated...luckily no one was killed.
                        Yeah I guess it it may be more common or maybe it's like a lot of things and becoming more widely reported? I guess by the same token there are less accidents where people let their foot off the clutch and lurch forward into traffic/the rear of someone's car

Originally posted by GreenMeanie View Post
                        I did.
                        All we do is sit on arses all day.
                        Stop anyone in the street and ask them.
                        Ha ha it's a bit like the people that think I deal with people getting knifed all the time or walk around bashing crims with a baton
                        Originally posted by Phildo View Post

#1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• I'm pretty busy working on this new tech project called Skynet and I can't really ever see myself having my job, or anything else, taken over by robots.

Comment

• You'll be baaaack even if you are

Comment

• Originally posted by =Stevo= View Post
                              I'm pretty busy working on this new tech project called Skynet and I can't really ever see myself having my job, or anything else, taken over by robots.
                              You work in Kuala Lumpur?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@3.13...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

Working...
                              X