World Heath Organisation announces that bacon causes cancer :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Heath Organisation announces that bacon causes cancer :(

Without bacon there's no reason to live...so I guess I've got no choice but suicide by bacon.

Bacon, sausages, ham and other processed meats are cancer-causing, red meat probably is too: WHO

Processed meats like bacon, sausages and hot dogs can cause colon cancer and red meat is also a likely cause of the disease, World Health Organisation experts say, in a potentially heavy blow for the global meat industry.

"Each 50-gram portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18 per cent," it said in a statement.

The category includes meat that has been salted, cured, fermented or smoked — hot dogs, sausages, corned beef, dried meat like beef jerky or South African biltong, canned meat or meat-based sauces.

The finding supports "recommendations to limit intake of meat" — particularly in processed forms, the IARC said.

"In view of the large number of people who consume processed meat, the global impact on cancer incidence is of public health importance," IARC official Kurt Straif said in a statement.

For an individual, the risk of getting cancer from eating processed meat was statistically "small", the agency said, but "increases with the amount of meat consumed".

The IARC added processed meat to the same group 1 category of cancer-causing agents as tobacco smoke and asbestos.

For unprocessed red meat — beef, veal, pork, lamb, mutton, horse or goat — the review found "strong" evidence of a cancer-causing effect, but not sufficient to place it in the same group of cancer-causing agents.

Instead, unprocessed red meat was classified as a "probable" carcinogen in its group 2A list that also contains glyphosate, the active ingredient in many weedkillers.

The UN's International Agency for Research on Cancer has warned that processed meats like sausages and ham cause bowel cancer, and red meat "probably" does too. Does this mean we should stop eating meat?
    As for processed meat, the red meat risk was mainly for cancer of the colon and rectum, but also the pancreas and prostate, the report said.

The agency cited research attributing about 34,000 cancer deaths per year worldwide to diets high in processed meat.

As for red meat — if the suspected link were to be confirmed — it would account for some 50,000 cancer deaths per year worldwide.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-2...agency/6886882

"Death by bacon." doesn't sound like a bad way to go by any means.

I like the part where they say it will have a massive blow to the meat industry, hehe, good joke, everyone laughs.
    Here lies the body of Harold Day
    He knew it was his right of way.
    He was right, dead right, as he rode along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Comment

Is this organisation run by a vegetarian?

Comment

99 out of 100 people I've surveyed have had the attitude that they'd rather lead a happy life full of bacon rather than a briefly extended life of misery and tastelessness.

The other one is a vegan and that's punishment enough.
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
          Is this organisation run by a vegetarian?
          In b4 someone comments that it's run by Muslims.

Comment

That was my next question!!! Lmao!!!

Comment

Yup and in US Vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists live on average 10 years longer that the average chump.
              Doesn't mean that everybody going to stop eating meat patti's from macca's and start eating nut-meat burgers......or crickets, oh that's being done already.
              But yeah nasty stuff in processed meats nothing new there!
              The weed killer is a worry though, my wife is an enviro and does allot of weed spraying out on the waste dumps etc. Mind you she wears all the PPE. inhalation is probably an issue though.
              "Love a ranga today"

"How long, not long, because because what you reap is what you sow"

Comment

Each 50 gram portion increase your chances by 18%...so 5.55 bacon sandwiches later you're dead.
                Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Damn. There goes my mega brekkies at Dwellingup.

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                    Each 50 gram portion increase your chances by 18%...so 5.55 bacon sandwiches later you're dead.
                    No.

If your baseline risk was 1% of getting colon cancer, eating 50grams of bacon a day raises that to 1.18%, 100 grams to 1.36%, 500 grams to 2.8% etc etc.

Even a kilo a day would only be 4.6%
                    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                      No.

If your baseline risk was 1% of getting colon cancer, eating 50grams of bacon a day raises that to 1.18%, 100 grams to 1.36%, 500 grams to 2.8% etc etc.

Even a kilo a day would only be 4.6%
                      so how many bacon sandwiches can I eat if I want to live past my 60th birthday and still be able to hang glide?...but only on Tuesdays
                      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by Maloney67 View Post
                        The weed killer is a worry though, my wife is an enviro and does allot of weed spraying out on the waste dumps etc. Mind you she wears all the PPE. inhalation is probably an issue though.
                        Well its in the same group as red meat, so no more dangerous than slapping her in the face with a steak for example...but slapping her in the face with a pork sausage is much worse..
                        Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
                        Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Find a farmer who butchers the old way without sulphides and all the other shit they put in processed foods and enjoy
                          "Love a ranga today"

"How long, not long, because because what you reap is what you sow"

Comment

who wants to live to 90 in pain anyway?

Comment

Should be an opportunity for enterprising local butchers to produce and market their own sausages etc as nitrite-nasty-free. Maybe a push for more affordable artisan natural-cured and smoked bacons ........ mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X