Windows 10 free upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 free upgrade

I have been told by Microsoft that I can have a free upgrade to windows ten from my current windows 8.2. It doesnt say what will happen to programs I have added or what will happen to files I have saved etc. Has anyone here done to swap and if so what programs are wiped...I seem to remember later windows os wiping the entire hard drive so the new stuff could be installed...wont be doing that!...I wonder why they are offering for free a previously charged for item...perhaps its as crap as 8.2?...any people using it??

Cheers

Steve
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

I'm a happy win7 user, and from what I've seen of win10, I have zero reasons to want to upgrade.

But if you're already on win8, which is an abomination, then it might be worthwhile.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Nothing is wiped when you upgrade.

I would be backing up important data before hand though, just incase.

Comment

There offering it for free cause win8 is shit and people weren't happy, also apple gives out free OS and updates and need to compete/copy them.

They were looking at changing M$ strategies ages ago when they stopped doing service packs for win7.

Personally i don't trust doing upgrades and prefer doing a fresh install, less headaches if shit becomes corrupted.
        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
          I'm a happy win7 user, and from what I've seen of win10, I have zero reasons to want to upgrade.

But if you're already on win8, which is an abomination, then it might be worthwhile.
          Yeah our main computer is W7 Pro and the old laptop is W7 Home and the missus and I are really happy with it, recently got a new lappy though that had W10 and while it did take me a while to get my head around the changes it isn't too bad and the way it does things so seamlessly when setting it up is cool Still prefer W7 though
          Can't comment on W8/8.1 as the lappy came with W10 as I held off because of the bad reports, a bit like with avoiding Vista before W7 came out
          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
          Originally posted by Phildo
          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
          Originally posted by filbert
          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
            I wonder why they are offering for free a previously charged for item...perhaps its as crap as 8.2?...any people using it??

Cheers

Steve
            It's free because you have become the product.

Windows 10 is about Microsoft selling you other stuff, being able to market other company's products to you, and (tinfoil hat mode) helping the NSA better spy on what people are doing.

It's about getting people to use Bing (via Cortana), and also attempting to force Microsoft's new UI / platform into relevance where 8.x failed dismally.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

...and showcase the brilliance of the surface tablet thingies...

Right?

Right?

<crickets>
              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Yeah they're rad.

Try pressing ctrl+alt+del to change your password on a domain joined one without using a physical keyboard.

“Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

So in a nutshell a retrograde to 7 is the better option. Bugger it I just got 8.2 working the way I want? Might check on how to change to 7...or just leave shit alone??
                  Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post

This.

Originally posted by thro View Post
                    It's free because you have become the product.

Windows 10 is about Microsoft selling you other stuff, being able to market other company's products to you, and (tinfoil hat mode) helping the NSA better spy on what people are doing.

It's about getting people to use Bing (via Cortana), and also attempting to force Microsoft's new UI / platform into relevance where 8.x failed dismally.

And this.

Its not tinfoil hat time, they freely admitted you can't turn off automatic updates and that it's logging everything you do.

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                      So in a nutshell a retrograde to 7 is the better option. Bugger it I just got 8.2 working the way I want? Might check on how to change to 7...or just leave shit alone??
                      If you're on 8, i'd leave shit alone for the time being.

10 is still very new, and there's a new version of 10 coming out in the next few months. There has been a few SNAFUs with 10 regarding enforced windows updates breaking people's shit already (windows update in 10 is automatic, you don't get to choose whether you want to run updates unless you disable the windows update service entirely).

edit:
                      having used every version of Windows since 3.1... anything after 7 is similarly "meh". there are a few nice new features in 10, but for most people the OS is just an application launcher, and that shit doesn't really matter.... downgrading to 7 will be a waste of time really and new software will start requiring some windows 8+ features.

I'd stay on 8 until things you want to run don't run any more, microsoft stop supporting it, 10 starts sucking less, or you decide to buy a Mac to escape the insanity.

I've decided never to buy another windows box due to the crap in 10...
                      Last edited by thro; 05-11-2015, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                        helping the NSA better spy on what people are doing.
                        Every OS has a backdoor

https://youtu.be/7gRsgkdfYJ8
                        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Windows 7>Windows 10>Windows XP>Windows 8

Comment

I've upgraded to Win10 - was fairly straightfoward.. but seriously thinking of changing over to one of the Linux variants. Win10 (as with 8/8.1) crashes occasionally, and for what I use my PC for, Win's just not needed.

Comment

Upgraded to windows 10. wasn't compatible with graphics drivers. 2 months later upgraded again, still graphics issues.

I refuse to upgrade until it's out of this weird pseudo beta stage.

Comment

Working...
                              X