No announcement yet.

Windows 10 free upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have done an upgrade, the FIRST thing you should do is open an administrative command prompt and run sfc /scannow
    This^^^ I've upgraded to 10 twice in a month. First time, was on a Surface pro 3--seamless except a couple of things broke. Couldn't stay connected to my Telstra/netgear portable modem, all other connections fine. This prompted me to bin it and save myself $60/month as i wasn't using it much any more anyway. And couldn't connect wirelessly to HP home printer, Win 8/8.1 just worked so well with that. Driver issue, in the wifi part of the printer, not main driver. Couldn't send emails from Outlook on my bigpond account Two calls to Telstra support to fix it.
    Then, last saturday, I dropped the Surface onto brick paving and smashed screen/bent case
    .. went out and bought an exact replacement that day, like it so much. Then do the setup, including an upgrade to 10. Why, when it came with 8.1? Because once you have used 10, you don't want 8.1 . Same issue with email. Sure I had all my settings right this time. So line up for 24/7 chat again, and remote. When I see her check all my settings, change nothing, then go to the command prompt "facepalm" That's how it was fixed last time, eventually. Apparently there is a very common file error after the upgrade, scan fixes. Now working.
    So if you do the upgrade, run command prompt and tack scannow onto the end, hit Enter, go away and have a coffee.

For all those who are saying they are staying with 7 forever, I am sort of emphathic, but stick with that line and you will eventually be like the sad old bastards who refused to shift from XP. Clean installs are always best, with anything, MS OR Apple. But generally, 10 is fine. And I love the SP3, had it nearly 12 months now, can't beat it for a mix of business and after-hours.
    Last edited by ranmar850; 10-11-2015, 11:27 AM.
    " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

I obviously spoke too soon and jinxed myself as the other day my lappy started freezing/locking up and the fan comes on at full bore Can't do anything no keys or mouse will work, no Ctrl/Alt/Del nothing all I can do is do a hard shutdown with the power button Did a bit of a Google and it seems like a common issue, will need to check into it some more
      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
      Originally posted by Phildo
      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
      Originally posted by filbert
      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by ranmar850 View Post
        For all those who are saying they are staying with 7 forever, I am sort of emphathic, but stick with that line and you will eventually be like the sad old bastards who refused to shift from XP.
        Nothing wrong with win7, it'll receive support till January 14, 2020 its everything else that might eventually not run on win7. As for XP i know some people still using it regardless of no support too stingy to upgrade.
        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

im desperate to get away from hunting around the right top of the screen to shut down 8 but 10 ? im approaching that with trepidation

still,its only the home bunky hardly normal cheepo comp.

i run 7 professional at work and thats fantastic

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
            As for XP i know some people still using it regardless of no support too stingy to upgrade.
            My Brother in Law works for a large bank in the UK. His laptop is not due to be upgraded from XP until the end of 2017. And they haven't paid for the additional support from Microsoft that so many governments have.

Bearing in mind how important security is to a bank.......
            Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
              im desperate to get away from hunting around the right top of the screen to shut down 8 but 10 ? im approaching that with trepidation
              Right click the start menu.
              Originally posted by Desmo
              Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by moshriff View Post
                I administrative command prompt and run sfc /scannow
                What does it do?

I have triple boot machine ( xp, vista, w7)
                Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                Who died while defending his right of way;
                He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                  Right click the start menu.
                  oh lol

thanks

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
                    What does it do?

I have triple boot machine ( xp, vista, w7)
                    SFC stands for System File Checker. It scans for corruptions in Windows system files and restores them if able.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929833

Comment

Originally posted by moshriff View Post
                      SFC stands for System File Checker. It scans for corruptions in Windows system files and restores them if able.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929833

Thank you

Comment

Windows 10 is fine.
                        I'd definitely move to 10 from 8.x.

But, I would (did) move through all versions of Windows without the 'drama'.

Originally posted by datsikk View Post
                        Heard win10 is just spyware so I'm not upgrading even thou I hate 8...How do you get pics to be seen in small icon mode?
                        You've read too many link bait headlines and haven't done any research.

Explain this spyware of which you speak.

What do you mean get pics to be seen in small icon mode? In File Explorer or in their pokey photos app?

There offering it for free cause win8 is shit and people weren't happy, also apple gives out free OS and updates and need to compete/copy them.
                        Sorta. They want everyone on the latest version because it's easier to support. Good business.

It has fuck all to do with copying Apple.
                        And, I believe you will need to buy it next year if you don't take advantage of the free upgrade offer.

Originally posted by Halo_2
                        Personally i don't trust doing upgrades and prefer doing a fresh install, less headaches if shit becomes corrupted.
                        Absolutely. Fresh is best.
                        But, I DID do an in place upgrade to 10, to suck-it-and-see.
                        Haven't found a reason to blow everything away and start again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                          Windows 10 is fine. Explain this spyware of which you speak.
                          Its crazy what level you have to go to stop all the spying keylogger etc
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=octjhIXkcf0

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                          It has fuck all to do with copying Apple.
                          Just like stopping service packs and releasing a new OS and software every few years (just like apple)
                          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

From my understanding you had to buy 10 a few months after it came out if you hadn't bought a machine with it already installed...so all of a sudden an OS is free when it used to cost... given microsoft's track record for producing crap OS full of glitches there is more than likely another agenda. I'm getting my tinfoil hat on.
                            Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

I am sticking to 7 and still got XP

Comment

Its crazy what level you have to go to stop all the spying keylogger etc
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=octjhIXkcf0

Just like stopping service packs and releasing a new OS and software every few years (just like apple)
                                Will watch the video when I've got some time.

They won't be releasing a new Windows every couple of years. This is pretty much it.
                                "Windows as a service" will continually change and never be finished.

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                                From my understanding you had to buy 10 a few months after it came out if you hadn't bought a machine with it already installed...so all of a sudden an OS is free when it used to cost... given microsoft's track record for producing crap OS full of glitches there is more than likely another agenda. I'm getting my tinfoil hat on.
                                No. You have this totally wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X