Windows 10 free upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlpineAx View Post
    I have not had any problems YET from Windows 10, but have been finding it frustrating how they've laid everything out compared to Windows 7.
    I have W10 on my new (this) laptop and it's been pretty good so far, some nice new features over W7 although I do prefer the W7 layout
    The only real issues I've had so far was that when I 1st started it up it wanted me to log in with my Live.com address and then do a pin #, problem was everytime I tried putting a pin # in it typed 2 numbers After some searching it appears it was an issue with the fancy new touchpad that had 2 finger squeeze like a smartphone so went back to std that fixed that
    Got rid of the pin and went back to a PW but whenever I open the laptop up again and type the PW in it drops the numbers (Num lock goes off), I did a bit of searching and found a fix that was supposed to fix it by changing some numbers in the registry but it still plays up a lot of the time
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Originally posted by Phildo
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Originally posted by filbert
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
      XP and Windows 7, I prefer using el capitan anyway
      Yep. They didn't update those - at all.

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
      Enjoy using windows 10 spyware edition
      I do. I really do.

I also use El Cap (doing it right now), but I don't understand the MS butthurt.
      I use Win10 all day, and love it. I'm in the middle of changing all our users over from 7, and when I get on a 7 machine, it feels old.

I'm not saying 10 needs some initial 'love' to get it set up right, but when it does - it's fantastic. IMO

BusaSteve, I've found with ANY version of Windows, it's a good idea to rebuild it at least once a year to keep it in good order.
      Just consider it part of what you signed up for. I don't seem to experience or require that with my Mac, but if you choose Windows over Mac, that's one of the things you really DO need to do to keep it running well.

Unfortunately, good backup procedures and maintenance, are not something the average user has a conceptual understanding of, or ability to complete.

I think 80% of consumers would be able to use thin clients (Chromebook for example) and it would be perfect.
      Get everything off the machine, into the cloud, and you could 'refresh' you computer and have everything back the way you want it in about 15-30 minutes.

I think thin clients / dumb computers will make a comeback.
      Cheap. Easy. And about on par with the average level of user knowledge.

Comment

I've tried on several occasions to upgrade to windows 10 and each time it fails. after much searching and help files, its still fucked. I am still on windows 7 and its fine. I don't have 25mB/s to be able to do the constant stream of updates before i use my machine and i do find this tiresome and pathetic.

Sure it might be fine when you have NBN and like seeing repeated adds for something you searched by chance, but i don't

time for a MAC
        Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

i have a laptop that was unuseably slow on windows7. since doing the free upgrade to win10 it has actually been useable and preety good.

on the otherhand my desktop was chugging along on win7 flawlessly. i thought well it cant hurt huh. fuck me was i wrong.
          after being stuck in a boot loop for a few hour i managed to re-set it back to win7. fuck win10 for that.
          Originally posted by Paraletic
          little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

Originally posted by Arwon View Post
            I've tried on several occasions to upgrade to windows 10 and each time it fails. after much searching and help files, its still fucked. I am still on windows 7 and its fine. I don't have 25mB/s to be able to do the constant stream of updates before i use my machine and i do find this tiresome and pathetic.

Sure it might be fine when you have NBN and like seeing repeated adds for something you searched by chance, but i don't

time for a MAC
            How are you 'upgrading'? Fresh install or in-place upgrade?

Re "constant stream of updates"... Whatyoutalkinaboutwillis? Since I installed windows 10, I've got FOUR Windows updates installed...
            What's are these updates you're required to do?

You sure as hell don't need NBN or big data limits.

===

If you want to look at a Mac
            1. They don't fix everything
            2. Wait and see if they announce anything on new hardware at WWDC next week.
            3. New hardware might be coming out in a few months - so hold off on pulling the pin just now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post

Re "constant stream of updates"... Whatyoutalkinaboutwillis? Since I installed windows 10, I've got FOUR Windows updates installed...

I've had a few more than that although not a constant stream since I got this new lappy in Aug last year, it is a bit annoying when there is one though because you can't halt it or even if you can everything seems slower until it's done That is one thing I like with the desktop and W7, it's set up to notify me when updates are available and I install them when there isn't much else going on

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Comment

You can set 10 up exactly the same?

Comment

You can set 10 up exactly the same?
                  Can you? I was under the impression it installed updates whenever it liked with W10

Comment

===

If you want to look at a Mac
                    1. They don't fix everything
                    2. Wait and see if they announce anything on new hardware at WWDC next week.
                    3. New hardware might be coming out in a few months - so hold off on pulling the pin just now.
                    there is one computer in the house with Win10 and it is constantly updating, It was an 8.1 upgrade but from a clean 8.1 install not a used computer.

MIne , i have been trying to upgrade from 7. I could download a new version i guess but at that rate i have to totally rebuild a computer software side. If i have to do that its worth considering options.
                    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

• So, it went from 8.1 to 10. And now, it constantly updates?
                      With what? Is it hung on the same update?
                      Is it ACTUALLY updating and doing something?

In-place upgrades is never the best way to go anyway Mate.
                      If you're going to upgrade, clean is the way to go. Start fresh.

Rebuild, put some core apps on, and leave it at that. You won't end up installing it ALL again anyway.

Like I said earlier, if you do a refresh once a year, the system will run better, and each time it will be much easier.
                      I don't know if I'd go switching OSes just because of it.

My run with computers is generally pretty good. i know to be thorough with backups and to start fresh whenever you do something major.
                      But, I've heard horror stories with both Mac and Windows, so no matter what you go with, just be prepared and know what you're getting yourself into.

I like the Mac, but some software isn't the same as the Windows version, and I've still not got 100% comfortable with it after a year.

That's also a combination of moving from a desktop to a laptop...

Comment

• Mrs laptop just did this update

Candy crush no longer works

Havent had such an uproar here since the mouse plague of '89
                        Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Working...
                        X