X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DERPONT
    replied
    start with http://shop.australiangeographic.com...nomy-book.html

then get something from http://shop.australiangeographic.com...pes-binoculars

- - - Updated - - -

Also http://shop.australiangeographic.com...kids-astronomy

Leave a comment:

• tank-wombat
    replied
    Originally posted by wonky View Post
    For about $5.00 you can cover the ceiling of his bedroom with glow in the dark star stickers.
    funny you say that, i just got him a planetarium for his bedroom. i was thinking we could use that to pick some stars or planets he wants to see for real

Leave a comment:

• wonky
    replied
    For about $5.00 you can cover the ceiling of his bedroom with glow in the dark star stickers.

Leave a comment:

• Skut
    replied
    Originally posted by tank-wombat View Post
    Hey peeps,

As you know chrissy is coming up and i want to get my little man something cool that we can both enjoy together. i really want to get in to astronomy with him. my problem is i have no idea where to start.

i was thinking about getting a mid level amateur telescope to start with. something that wont cost an arm and a leg but something that will still work, show us a good picture of the moon, be able to locate specific stars (or maybe even planets??).

whats good in terms of brands? am i in over my head expecting to be able to jump in to this? are there any really good books that i can get to show me how to start?

any info would be appreciated.

note my little man is only 5 years old so im hoping i can get something i can set up and get him to look in to. "Look son, thats jupiter" "wow dad your the best"
    Celestron is pretty available at most focal lengths and "aperture" (pretty much light gathering capacity) and gives decent bang-for-buck.

I have a 130 Astromaster, which is a simple Newtonian reflector (big tube with a concave mirror at one end). Can see the rings around Saturn, and most of Jupiter's moons. Deep sky stuff just wont happen in an urban environment (light pollution).

I'm still waiting for my Barlow tube and camera adapter for some decent astro-photography efforts.

Watch the shit out of that channel and you will learn a lot

Edit: Picked up the barlow tube and adapter today - will post up anything half decent if I can.
    Last edited by Skut; 04-12-2015, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tank-wombat
    started a topic TWWTK - questions for PSB astronomers

TWWTK - questions for PSB astronomers

Hey peeps,

As you know chrissy is coming up and i want to get my little man something cool that we can both enjoy together. i really want to get in to astronomy with him. my problem is i have no idea where to start.

i was thinking about getting a mid level amateur telescope to start with. something that wont cost an arm and a leg but something that will still work, show us a good picture of the moon, be able to locate specific stars (or maybe even planets??).

whats good in terms of brands? am i in over my head expecting to be able to jump in to this? are there any really good books that i can get to show me how to start?

any info would be appreciated.

note my little man is only 5 years old so im hoping i can get something i can set up and get him to look in to. "Look son, thats jupiter" "wow dad your the best"
Working...
X