No announcement yet.

Knives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well colour me confluence of coincidence ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dubs View Post
      I did nick the metal while sanding the top

Looks like you nicked an artery as well going by the spots on shirt
      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
      Originally posted by Phildo
      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
      Originally posted by filbert
      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• You cant make a masterpiece without spilling a little blood.

Therefore, imagine how much blood was spilled making an average-piece?

Dubs

Comment

• Finally got started on the next Damascus profile... am hoping that the big chunk of nickel at the tip comes right with the grind.

I plan to make this one for myself, with some Elderwood burl and green stone handles held in place with custom dragons head pins.

I have made similar profiles earlier using Damascus and buffalo horn with custom pins... but those were sold (below)... the above one is for me.

I also want to have a go at making sheathes, as the knives seem a little naked when sold without them, so I picked up a few bits and pieces and have had a go at making a 1911 holster for a mate - free of course as I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out. Fortunately neither of us were too disappointed with the result.

Originally posted by Abraham Lincoln
          "The problem with internet quotes, is that you can never be sure they are real".

Comment

• Originally posted by NAK3D View Post
            Finally got started on the next Damascus profile... am hoping that the big chunk of nickel at the tip comes right with the grind.

I plan to make this one for myself, with some Elderwood burl and green stone handles held in place with custom dragons head pins.

I have made similar profiles earlier using Damascus and buffalo horn with custom pins... but those were sold (below)... the above one is for me.

I also want to have a go at making sheathes, as the knives seem a little naked when sold without them, so I picked up a few bits and pieces and have had a go at making a 1911 holster for a mate - free of course as I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out. Fortunately neither of us were too disappointed with the result.

Great job on the knives and the holster, you'd be hard pressed to pick the holster wasn't a Hellweg or something if you weren't into firearms Oh tell your mate that's a sweet looking 1911 from what I can see of it

Anyone going to the Perth Knife Show at Freo Prison over the weekend? Only heard about it on the radio the other day, might see if I can get down there
            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
            Originally posted by Phildo
            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
            Originally posted by filbert
            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• Thanks 😁

I am planning on heading along, not sure which day yet.

On a side note, does anyone know where to get some decent ferric chloride locally? The last lot I got from Altronics, and its about cut... and tbh it wasnt great to begin with.
              Originally posted by Abraham Lincoln
              "The problem with internet quotes, is that you can never be sure they are real".

Comment

• Well, a few hundred dollars later....

I blame [MENTION=32269]NAK3D[/MENTION]

edit: A good friend of mine was there as well with his dad, who was something of a celebrity as he invented the McDonald Rolling Mill
                Last edited by Skut; 04-02-2019, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• Here's a question knife people: why does everyone seem to use the thumb to push to release a liner or frame-lock and complain when it doesn't work well - when using the index finger to pull from the other side works so much better (and safer as you are already pulling away from the blade..)?

Comment

• Had a play, [MENTION=17857]Skut[/MENTION]. For me, better closing control using the thumb. Better grip from all fingers. The index finger pushes the blade up to a point (5 degrees or so) where the blade holds the lock open allowing the thumb to be swung out the way well before the blade closes. The bottom 3 fingers have good grip on the handle and are out the way of the blade.

With the index finger pulling the liner the side of the thumb has to push the blade up, grip is not as firm and not easy to do without wrapping the bottom 3 fingers in the blade path so more have to move out the way of the closing blade.

I did find it easier not using the index but the second finger to pull back on the liner using that method. Much better with a flipper using not the thumb but the index pushing on the flipper base to close whilst the second finger pulls the liner.

lefty is even easier closing a right hand knife, as only a small part of the thumb is exposed and easily slides out the way the moment the blade passes the lock point. Solid, no slip.

I'm generally lefty but my ambi is good and often use either hand for opening, closing and cutting.

EDIT: BTW, that middle little flipper you got, I had a play with that on Sunday. Great value for a good knife.
                    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                      Had a play, ....

EDIT: BTW, that middle little flipper you got, I had a play with that on Sunday. Great value for a good knife.
                      Cheers. I guess I'm not liking to use my thumb at the mo as I have two small cuts on it

Yeah, the Tuyaknife is good heavy type blade S35VN and that odd "choil" can open a bottle (And probably a safe way to puncture a tin, but not tried yet)

The green Civivi is really growing on me for an everyday knife, really simple and clean lines and not threatening looking. Also has a smooth flipper action with ceramic bearings.

Comment

• S35VN, and ceramic bearings is Chris Reeves style without the $800 price tag.

The importer also gets a model in with M390 which is great steel.
                        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

• Brother cleaned out his fishing box a month or two ago and found an old hunting/fishing knife that has been kicking around the family for 30-40 years. Tubbed up O.K. The leather handle had been varnished, so sanded it back and hit it with Carnauba wax, rusty blade also cleaned up but left the pitting for effect. Still polishing the guard and pommel. The sheath needs more work as well.

I must remember to take before photos.

p.s. The silver soldering on the other knife went well, will post pics soon.
                          They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

• bump for help please knifey peeps

https://forum.perthstreetbikes.com/f...-grinder-build

Comment

Working...
                            X