WDTV alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDTV alternative?

So it would appear that my faithful old WDTV Live has shit the tin and I'm in need of a replacement.
    I've tried using the PS3 but its codec support is fucking woeful and technology makes me angry when it doesn't work.
    So is there a decent alternative to the WDTV or is it still the dog's danglies in relation to media players? I do have an Odroid U3 lying around that I could put Kodi on and this would be ideal except it doesn't have an optical out for audio.
    Answers on a postcard.

So Optical Out is a requirement then?

I have a Roku 3, Asus Nexus player, PS3, PS4, X360, LG TV and Yamaha amp that are all capable of network streaming.

I've had issues with the Roku and Nexus playing back uncompressed blurays over the network from Plex, and the Yamaha amp codec support is pretty poor. The TV is solid as a rock though, playing direct from the file shares. I haven't played a lot with the streaming on the games consoles yet, as I think the Plex issue could be the server setup.

The WDTV Live that I used to have was spectacular, but it seems they weren't meant to last. Mine started overheating and locking up before dying completely.

What are you playing media from, and what kind of services do you want to use on it?
    '====
    //`
    -Magilla
    They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
    Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

I have a boxee box laying around that I don't use anymore if you are keen.
      "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Originally posted by okitoki View Post
        I have a boxee box laying around that I don't use anymore if you are keen.
        No, he's Desmo. Different dude.
        '====
        //`
        -Magilla
        They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
          No, he's Desmo. Different dude.
          "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Originally posted by okitoki View Post
            '====
            //`
            -Magilla

Comment

Working...
            X