Retriever x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zero View Post
    But when YOU have separation anxiety, that is something different.
    On reflection it's not different - Breeding, background, temperament...

Comment

Dogs Certainly do......Pick You.
      What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

point taken..

I do miss havin a walking/running mate..tho..

Hope you find just who you are lookin' fo Steve...;-]

Maybe I need to wait for a bit......"dogs n owners'.com.au" moreso for the dog than me..
        " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
          I would love to, but having 2 border collies I don't even know when I could do it?

I take my dogs out twice every day, often more on the weekends, so don't think I could allocate time to more dogs?

Plus our new pup is one of those batshit insane border collies.
          I used to take Bella out three times a day...mostly to walk the kilos off from giving in to her pleading looks at meal times...how can anyone ignore that hang dog expression.... that...'if you really loved me you'd give that last bit of sandwich to me" look.

It really is the right dog that comes along...I just cant wait...it used to be the same at Christmas when my older bro and me were sprogs...up at 1:30 am wrapping all over the place...
          Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
            ... giving in to her pleading looks at meal times...how can anyone ignore that hang dog expression.... that...'if you really loved me you'd give that last bit of sandwich to me" look
            I remained strong on this for over 3 years. Never any staring and drooling in expectation.

Then in a weak moment I broke. Just once... Ruined it all.

Comment

Ahh you know its the right thing to do....love them as much as you can for the short time they are with you.

Comment

Love does not equal food, but I carry the guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by zero View Post
                  I remained strong on this for over 3 years. Never any staring and drooling in expectation.

Then in a weak moment I broke. Just once... Ruined it all.
                  Being very careful with that too,my one is going to be huge and will easily reach tables etc so no human food at all, so far it's working well, and doesn't plead drool and beg, my staffy but was given our food from young and is a massive scab around food, I won't do that again.

Comment

Harley will sit, stock still and look at you eating.
                    If he is given a yes, he will come forward and sit again.
                    We say, gentle, to him and he honestly takes what is offered like he is the queen at a bloody tea party....a slow, gentle, little nibble 😍
                    So funny to see.
                    But soon there will be little fingers around and a) I don't want him taking food from her and b) I don't want a very large dog accidentally nipping little fingers.

We handle him a lot, too, while he is eating and we pull his tail and roll him around during play.
                    We knew when we got him that he would eventually have small people around.

He is the most loving and attached dog I have ever seen. He loves us to pieces. Gets up during the night to check everyone and his favourite place is wherever we are.
                    He does a LOT of sleeping and we had to get on top of his jumping up right at the beginning because he is so bloody huge!! We honestly got really lucky.
                    I'm so glad we went to 'have a look' one Boxing Day and I couldn't resist my pleading husband, even though I was thinking, god, it's huge!!
                    Best move we ever made 😀

I'll keep an eye out for you, too 😀
                    Last edited by Gothchick; 04-04-2016, 10:36 PM.
                    Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by GsxInShed View Post
                      I am a bit naive..
                      Had a top cross ...once....
                      Is it fair to leave a dog at home alone..?
                      Not sayin you do...
                      How do you desensitise the need to hunt/bark/help...?
                      Or is there a thing......with dogs....that makes some breeds easier to leave alone.?
                      I get so attached ...that I just wanna be near at all times......
                      any help is a good thing.ta!
                      I think this is where a puppy is a good thing over an older rescue, though both have pros/cons.

A puppy you can teach your routine to. My dogs know that first thing in the morning is walk and play time. Then I am gone for 4-8 hours. Then it is play time again and a big outing (beach/different park etc). After this it is quiet inside time.

Even the batshit insane pup knows to just chill out by 830pm and lie by our feet. It has been drilled into them since day 1 and they all know the score.

That said, once our older girl moves on we will rescue a playmate for the pup.

Comment

Tried SAFE, [MENTION=27751]BusaSteve[/MENTION]
                        Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a unicorn.

Comment

Yeah...there is a site that lists all dogs at all refuges and pounds....48 pages of available dogs five to page....lots on there. petrescue.com.au

Comment

did you see the golden i posted on the first page?? he is a rescue
                            Originally posted by DailyBanana
                            That little girl likes her pizza more than you like people

Comment

No... no I didnt...first page here or on a site?...Sorry I did see him but he had been adopted by the time I looked....bugger....glad he's got a loving home though.

Comment

Try contacting these guys - https://m.facebook.com/Retriever-Res...9649066513035/

Also I know you weren't after a puppy but CJs animal rescue have a couple of retriever cross pups up for adoption soon.

Otherwise just be patient, I've been involved in rescue admin for 5 years. Retrievers do come through often

Comment

Working...
                                X