Handymen/women of PSB i need your help - Shuffleboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handymen/women of PSB i need your help - Shuffleboard

Alrighty, long story short i went to Canada and played shuffleboard at a pub there. its a freaking awesome game that Australia would love but shuffleboards arent made here. i have kept my eyes open in the vain hope that one may pop up on gumtree for a reasonable price but it just isnt going to happen.

so i am going to be super ambitious and try to build one. the reason this is so ambitious is i have legit never built anything before, let alone worked with wood.

i have some handy friends and family that can help me, supply any of the tools i need and supervise the build, but i want to try and do as much as i can by myself.

i need some advice about types of wood for the playing surface im worried about the Australian climate wreaking havoc on the wood (causing it to bow or split over time). i need a completely flat, thick and smooth 5m surface (0.5m wide) to play with. some people use old bowling alley flooring but im thinking of using MDF and covering it with some sturdy laminate (cost and availability is better). do you think this could be a problem? do you think there are better materials to use? im honestly out of my depth here so i welcome any advise you have to give.

im planning on a design like this

http://buildashuffleboard.com/the-playing-surface-2/

This dude uses MDF and polyurethane paint.

It looks like a fucking cool game.

http://buildashuffleboard.com/

http://buildashuffleboard.com/dimensions/
    If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.

Comment

Cheers mate, I had been through both of them but had not found anything that used MDF with Laminate. the other issue is that there are no build threads in places like Australia and im worried about our heat and what that may do to specific types of wood. im just concerned that i will spend heaps of time and effort in to making a shuffle board to have the australian summer ass fuck me less than a year after i finish. i want this baby to last me years.

its fucking great fun!! beer in one hand, puck in the other. shoot the shit with mates whilst playing for hours. its awesome

Comment

You could consider a good quality plywood with laminate on top.

Plywood is made up of mulitple crossover layers whereas MDF is made up compressed and glued wood fibres.

I'm sure to have opened a can of worms here, but I believe plywood would be stronger and less likely to warp than MDF.

Edit: [MENTION=7753]Para045[/MENTION] was a cabinet maker in a past life I believe.
        Last edited by stromrider; 11-04-2016, 03:24 PM. Reason: para
        If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.

Comment

Import one?

I'm part of the Ice Hockey community here in Perth, too easy to hook you up with some Canadian expats?
          Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

consider joining this mob.
            they are pretty much like PSB but without the abusive posts. (yes it seems it is possible)
            http://www.woodworkforums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by forunna View Post
              consider joining this mob.
              they are pretty much like PSB but without the abusive posts. (yes it seems it is possible)
              http://www.woodworkforums.com/
              I thought renovateforum took them over?

Comment

Originally posted by stromrider View Post
                I thought renovateforum took them over?
                nup. still going, same looking site with same topics etc.
                I used to hang out there a bit but not for years. looks the same.
                seems to be a lot more headings and topics. gotta read the headings carefully to find teh actual woodworking ones now so perhaps renovate has been incorporated then.

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
                  Import one?

I'm part of the Ice Hockey community here in Perth, too easy to hook you up with some Canadian expats?
                  i dont want to lash out 3-4k on a table plus at least another 1k on import costs so thats a no go for me. im also excited about trying to build something, i think its gonna be pretty rewarding if i can pull it off. you play ice hockey? i play in the SRHL and heaps of the boys in that also play ice. one of our team mates started playing ice this year.

Thanks for all the advice guys really appreciate it

Comment

Ikea Underframe (probably one of the black options)
                    Formply Top (already smooth plastic) with carved/routed markings, then polished/waxed/urethane top to keep it silky smooth (similar to this)

Comment

Originally posted by =Stevo= View Post
                      Formply Top (already smooth plastic) with carved/routed markings, then polished/waxed/urethane top to keep it silky smooth (similar to this)
                      that formply looks like a dam good idea for the playing surface. do you think it would have any issues if i laminated the top for a smother sliding surface? i want to stay away from using Polyurethane if i can for a few reasons. 1) i will likely fuck it up trying to apply it 2) it needs maintenance and reapplications yearly 3) i have kiddies and i dont trust them staying away from the drying "tent" i will need to set up for the Polycrylic.

Comment

Originally posted by tank-wombat View Post
                        i dont want to lash out 3-4k on a table plus at least another 1k on import costs so thats a no go for me. im also excited about trying to build something, i think its gonna be pretty rewarding if i can pull it off. you play ice hockey? i play in the SRHL and heaps of the boys in that also play ice. one of our team mates started playing ice this year.

Thanks for all the advice guys really appreciate it
                        Yah bro. Many years. Now a senior on ice official.
                        Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Originally posted by stromrider View Post
                          You could consider a good quality plywood with laminate on top.

Plywood is made up of mulitple crossover layers whereas MDF is made up compressed and glued wood fibres.

I'm sure to have opened a can of worms here, but I believe plywood would be stronger and less likely to warp than MDF.

Edit: [MENTION=7753]Para045[/MENTION] was a cabinet maker in a past life I believe.
                          Yeah I used to be a cabinetmaker for ~25 years There are many ways you could do it, the nicest looking way would be a laminated hardwood as they have done with bowling flooring etc but as you have mentioned is quite a bit more work, cost and maintenance/upkeep There used to be Jarrah laminated benchtops available from Bunnings at one time (can only see these now) although these Bunnings ones may do the job there is still the upkeep of polishing them

A gloss laminate on 32mm moisture resistant MDF would probably be the best/cheapest option, plywood in it's basic form is slightly better at not swelling and warping but really if you are going to have it in a high moisture area then you would need marine ply anyway
                          I'm guessing it wont be out in the weather or even exposed to high levels of damp so a MR MDF would be fine, laminate the top in a gloss laminate and for extra safety a couple of coats of a cheap lacquer/polish on the underside and edges to seal them and she'll be fine
                          You could even go to someone who does postform tops and get the 2 long sides post formed and just coat the bottom

Originally posted by =Stevo= View Post

The only real issue with formply is that while it does withstand swelling/warping etc well the surface isn't usually THAT smooth for the sort of use this requires, even looking at that pic it looks like there are ripples across the board
                          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                          Originally posted by Phildo
                          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                          Originally posted by filbert
                          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                          X