cops auctioning a very nice HG Monaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all about genuine vs a copy.

If a car won Bathurst back in its day, then it tends to be worth a bunch extra.

The valuable one is the 1971 Falcon Phase III, which sold for around $5,300 back in 1971.

For whatever reason, that's the car that everyone wants. Just before the GFC (ie 2007) one sold for $750,000. They're going for around half that at the moment. There's only a couple of hundred left.

Last week: http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...-auction-41234

Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_X...GTHO_Phase_III

Because of the status of that particular car people make replicas out of base model Falcons. Not too hard - get a base model Falcon, restore it, put in the same V8 engine, gearbox, decals on the outside, etc. There's currently a replica for sale for $150,000. WTF.

On the Holden side, there is the Monaro and Torana. These cars were nothing special back in the 1980s, when they were 15-20 years old. However, these days they also command high prices, but nowhere near as much as the Phase III Falcon. A good late 1960s Monaro will sell for over $100,000.

Who buys these things? Who pays that sort of money? Collectors, particularly baby boomers.

There's an emotion involved. Women collect shoes, and men collect automotive things.

If you really want to spend some money on car then buy a Ferrari 250GTO. They're going for over $50 million these days.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250_GTO

It's also an adolescent thing. People that were watching these things race back in their teens and 20s are now in their 50s and 60s (ie baby boomers). They've got money, and they want to buy the car that they watched decades ago.

Back in 1988, when I was 16, the first HSV came out - the HSV VL Commodore SS Group A SV. It had an extreme body kit, and was considered to be ugly at the time.

As I had a different perception (ie no taste) I thought it was just damn sexy. I used to ride my BMX bike over to the nearby Holden dealer after school and stare at the one that they had in the showroom all year.

It sold poorly at its original $45,500 price, and was selling for half that secondhand within a few years.

However, these days a good one goes for at least $75,000.

One of the reasons is that car won Bathurst in 1990, with Alan Grice.

I want to buy one of those cars some day. For me, it's a childhood thing, and I'd want to keep it forever. It's something that I've always wanted, since I was 16 (44 now).

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Pretty small market really - gtho was supposed to be the first Aussie to crack a million, only way that's going to happen now if some Russian or Chinese billionaire gets ripped off.

You are quite right [MENTION=5421]Phildo[/MENTION] considerable up side on 80's muscle as the youngsters of that time are the multi millionaires of today who can spare it
      You can't *burrrp* can't just post, just post anything you feel like morty, you just *burrp* just end up *burrp* end up hurting people's feelings morty I mean how, how would you like it if I said things that offended you morty?

Comment

Used to have a 73 xa coupe and a 71 xy , both were genuine gs v8s with 351 and 4 speeds, beautiful cars, but got into bikes more so sold off the cars, made money on both, that's the beauty of old muscle cars, buy a new car and you lose money, buy old and you make money.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 98kellrs View Post
          For those not versed in old aussie cars, what's this one got that all the posers driving around Cottesloe and Freo don't?
          This one has the magic 81837 vin, indicating it is a factory 350 chev vehicle. Rare(ish) and very desirable indeed.

Comment

I wonder where the GPS is hidden in it?
            The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
            G T

Comment

I'm so depressed, I sold a green HQ SS for $2,000.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by rsa350 View Post
                This one has the magic 81837 vin, indicating it is a factory 350 chev vehicle. Rare(ish) and very desirable indeed.
                Ah yep, that'll do it.

Get it freighted over east, sit on it for a year and then advertise it for $120,000 upward.
                One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Last time I went to one of these auctions for there was a hsv clubsport senator, sold for 50k so wonder what kinda crowd this will attract.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                    It had an extreme body kit, and was considered to be ugly at the time.
                    Tip for ya Phildo, THEY ARE STLL FUCKING UGLY Fucking "plastic pig" they called them
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

On the Bathurst thing, the eb s xr8 won and is worth around a whole grand.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gangus View Post
                        On the Bathurst thing, the eb s xr8 won and is worth around a whole grand.....
                        The thing is though by that time they were just silhouette cars not real road going performance cars That was part of the mystique with all the cars prior, the cars they raced were pretty close to the cars you could buy! By the time of the V8 Supercar era they were purpose built frame chassis with crate race motors
                        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

It is all about originality.

My old man has his first car still, HG Premier. Not even a V8 but because it is 100% original and in great condition he has had some decent offers over the years.

I get it as a freebie once I have a house with a lockup garage and the spare $$$ to get the interior refreshed.

I purely want it for the sentimental value, could never sell it and Shannons has advised if anything were to happen it is irreplaceable, as are most parts these days. Took 4 years to find a new hubcap.

Comment

Working...
                          X