Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent outdoor water pipe/tap.

So,

in short, someone not so bright decided to step on the tap and bent it, it looks a little rusty with all the recent rain so think bending it back could crack it in spots where its bent.
    i am quite good with DIY jobs.
    Any suggestions on what the best option to fix this is?

thank you for useful input as always : )
    Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth!!
    Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range...brass-fittings

go to Bunnings and buy an olive style crimp joiner as in above link, cut pipe with hacksaw, clean with a file, scrape paint off pipe, fit fitting, do up with a spanner. You will have to buy another fitting for tap. Drill new holes into brick work.

If you want to get back to original holes buy a 1mtr length of pipe and cut pipe to length, cut down under earth so you don't see the join.

or get a plumber.
    Last edited by Mickwoo; 07-05-2016, 04:37 PM.

Comment

best option is a plumber.

if you're a real tightarse, head to bunnings and get a few conetight fittings and cut off just below the kink.
      or if you're not so tightarse, you could buy a blowtorch and some silver solder, some fittings etc etc
      "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

You should be able to straighten it, the copper pipe won't be perfect but should flow fine, and it's copper, the paint has flaked off and showing tarnished copper, not rust

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Comment

Tip, if you keep bending it, it will crack, but should bend back ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnno View Post
            You should be able to straighten it, the copper pipe won't be perfect but should flow fine, and it's copper, the paint has flaked off and showing tarnished copper, not rust

If you have any sort of heat torch to soften the pipe it will help as well
            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
            Originally posted by Phildo
            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
            Originally posted by filbert
            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Unless the end is perfectly round and level, conetight fittings will leak.
              Last edited by TROUBLE; 07-05-2016, 05:17 PM.
              What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                If you have any sort of heat torch to soften the pipe it will help as well
                Won't heat it enough to anneal it with water in the line, and with it being one of the lowest taps on the house it will be hard to get the water out.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnno View Post
                  Won't heat it enough to anneal it with water in the line,
                  Not trying to anneal it as such, but any heat will help make the copper pipe softer and help it bend and less likely to crack
                  #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                  Originally posted by Phildo
                  Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                  Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

If you try and straighten it "cold" or hot use the rounded part of these to gently squeeze and shape the pipe as you bend it.

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Map gas will be needed for silver solder. As chew states a bit of reshaping as its gently bent back. That second bend will be no problem the first looks a bit tight. The burning question is...who did it?...Oh and good luck...best get someone near the main tap just in case.
                      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

You got one over these? Very handy for all manner of automotive wiring jobs and, believe it or not, you can join copper pipe using the pre-soldered fittings.

-

Comment

seriously, the qualities of manhood seems to have developed an inverse relationship with the number of hipster beards
                          1. go to fucking bunnings
                          2. buy some stuff
                          3. apply stuff
                          4. if it pisses water all over the joint, restart from 1.

Comment

Plumber.

Waste money trying to fix it then eventually call a plumber anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Until you have the problem again... if you learnt this time, you'll know next. If you called the plumber, you will next time too.
                              The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X