Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical of Course: Interstate Traffic Offence

As the title suggests, hypothetically:

1. Vehicle registered in Queensland to a recently deceased person.
    2. Vehicle attracts a traffic offence fine in NSW.
    3. Driver at the time of the offence committed in said vehicle holds a Victorian drivers license.
    4. Mail for deceased person redirected by Aust Post to Victorian drivers address.
    5. Queensland registered vehicle to be transferred to Victorian registration in the very near future.

Obviously the current registered owner is not positioned to nominate any person who may have been driving the vehicle at the time.

Should the person who has received the Traffic Infringement Notice simply inform the issuer of the status of the registered owner and nothing more?

Should the person who has received the Traffic Infringement Notice just ignore the notice?

Open to other suggestions around this hypothetical scenario.

For Info the hypothetical infringement is 10kph over the limit and is a $450 fine.

Notify them....worse case scenario, I would think, will be the deceased will have their licence suspended
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

If i know the recently deceased person i might just pay the fine to save any added grief to parters or family

Comment

Normally I would say drag it out and see what happens.

Deceased and grieving involved, what keys said.
        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Yeh as above.....

Don't ignore it .....the law works very slowly....Cops will knock on the door...( not a great look for surviving family members)

$450.. meh... would have spent 10 x that at the wake....

Just my opinion... oh and frame the fine...and receipt..( it's what I did.:-)

Makes a great addition to the pool room....

Prior to that ....seek legal advice.......may save you a buck ...or two.
          " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far.

No fear about upsetting any existing family, the postal address of the deceased is vacant and there is no surviving family that will be offended, hypothetically the only surviving family member is the Victorian driver and is fully aware of the situation.

Could it be likely that the NSW authorities bother to chase a fine from a deceased person in Qld or would they just write it off?

Comment

Fine will be written off.

Eastern states issue with people nominating deceased drivers as responsible for infringement is huge issue for this remote policing method.
              You can't *burrrp* can't just post, just post anything you feel like morty, you just *burrp* just end up *burrp* end up hurting people's feelings morty I mean how, how would you like it if I said things that offended you morty?

Comment

$450 for 10 over? We have nothing to complain about here.
                Originally posted by Desmo
                Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                  $450 for 10 over? We have nothing to complain about here.
                  Yep, complete rip off, 100 in a 90 zone, allegedly, hypothetically, could have, this isn't a true story and the people and events are fictitious.

Comment

Originally posted by kapyong View Post
                    Thanks for the responses so far.

No fear about upsetting any existing family, the postal address of the deceased is vacant and there is no surviving family that will be offended, hypothetically the only surviving family member is the Victorian driver and is fully aware of the situation.

Could it be likely that the NSW authorities bother to chase a fine from a deceased person in Qld or would they just write it off?
                    How did they know that it was said Victorian driving? Did deceased forward the fine on before dying?
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                      Notify them....worse case scenario, I would think, will be the deceased will have their licence suspended
                      This.

The deceased would want to ensure that this is sorted out before he/she gets charged with decaying whilst under suspension.

However, I strongly suspect that this one would be put in the "too hard" tray and discarded.

Bloody good idea though.

Now I need to go find someone dying of cancer, put my stuff in their name and go have some fun for a while.
                      One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                        How did they know that it was said Victorian driving? Did deceased forward the fine on before dying?
                        They don't know the Victorian was driving the vehicle, but the Victorian is the person who is the son of the deceased and receiving the forwarded mail.

The son is considering returning the infringement notice with a copy of the death certificate and just leaving at that, without any accompanying letter identifying who has sent them the notice and certificate. The hope is that the authorities will just say it is too hard and bin the lot.

Comment

Bin it
                          Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Police may insist on a name of who has been driving the vehicle at the time, unless deceased was alive and passing away after the fact
                            Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                            remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                            Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                            Who died while defending his right of way;
                            He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                            But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
                              Police may insist on a name of who has been driving the vehicle at the time, unless deceased was alive and passing away after the fact
                              The person (the registered car owner) they need to get that info from is deceased, the vehicle is still registered to the deceased pending re-registration in another State.

I am trying to work out if anyone else is obliged to inform the authorities of who was driving the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X