There's no such thing as a bike being 'too tall for me'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's no such thing as a bike being 'too tall for me'

This video has been doing the rounds on Facebook. A dwarf riding a motorcycle and using a very unconventional yet effective method for stopping at traffic lights. Pay no attention to the laughing, at least he's out there having a go

kudos.
    dont know if I would have the guts to do anything like that.

Comment

Are you kidding? That would be fucking awesome! Imagine having a bike 30% larger than normal. That would be exhilarating as fuck.
      Much love for you. http://templeofthewayoflight.org/

Comment

Well done to this guy for not being bound by his physical size to stop his desire to ride.....but.....I don't think it's the safest practice.

We all know there are times when you need to plant your foot or give a little touch in slow moving conditions or whatever, times when you need to stop abruptly and the foot that goes down is whatever side the bike is going to fall to in a split second. There is a chance that this guy, while all well and good in the situation in the video, could end up dropping his bike, or end up under it in the middle of an intersection and potentially cause an accident.

Being able to touch the ground comfortably I would imagine is a pre-requisite for even passing your licence?

It's all about control of your vehicle and I think if you cant touch the ground and bring your vehicle to a complete stop without jumping off then you don't have any business being on the road.

I've been on a PSB ride where I've seen a guy who had to pull to the kerb at the lights and junctions and slide off a little and put his foot on the kerb just to keep upright. I watched for a while before moving up the group as I don't want to be the one next to whoever it is when there's nothing there to lean on.

What if there is an obstruction? What if he(the video rider) decides to lane split tight traffic and someone cuts him off? Are you gonna be ok with it when he falls into your car or bike and damages it?

All this extra effort of concentrating on and making sure you're staying in the right place to ensure you can jump off your bike if you have to stop is using brain power that should be dedicated to the driving you are doing. It's like 4th gear no brakes at Trakdayz, if you have too much going on in your head it's a lot easier to make mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane_O View Post
          Well done to this guy for not being bound by his physical size to stop his desire to ride.....but.....I don't think it's the safest practice.

We all know there are times when you need to plant your foot or give a little touch in slow moving conditions or whatever, times when you need to stop abruptly and the foot that goes down is whatever side the bike is going to fall to in a split second. There is a chance that this guy, while all well and good in the situation in the video, could end up dropping his bike, or end up under it in the middle of an intersection and potentially cause an accident.

Being able to touch the ground comfortably I would imagine is a pre-requisite for even passing your licence?

It's all about control of your vehicle and I think if you cant touch the ground and bring your vehicle to a complete stop without jumping off then you don't have any business being on the road.

I've been on a PSB ride where I've seen a guy who had to pull to the kerb at the lights and junctions and slide off a little and put his foot on the kerb just to keep upright. I watched for a while before moving up the group as I don't want to be the one next to whoever it is when there's nothing there to lean on.

What if there is an obstruction? What if he(the video rider) decides to lane split tight traffic and someone cuts him off? Are you gonna be ok with it when he falls into your car or bike and damages it?

All this extra effort of concentrating on and making sure you're staying in the right place to ensure you can jump off your bike if you have to stop is using brain power that should be dedicated to the driving you are doing. It's like 4th gear no brakes at Trakdayz, if you have too much going on in your head it's a lot easier to make mistakes.
          Using the kerb is probably more comfortable for the person you mentioned above, but in other circumstances they probably slide to the side of the bike like I used to on a previous bike when I wasn't on level ground. I can only get a decent foothold on one side of my current bike. In the 7 years I've had it I've never dropped it in traffic and yet I've had every circumstance you've mentioned occur.

I'm totally fine if someone drops their bike onto my car or bike as long as everyone is okay. That's what I have insurance for. To be honest, I'd much rather that guy with his bike control around me than most of the riders on the road in Perth. Being limited in some way makes people very resourceful. You learn how to ride, approach lights and park so as to best work around your limitation. It becomes second nature and certainly does not take your attention away from your riding. It will, however, create a rider with the best low speed control you've ever seen.
          "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Reminds me of when i first started riding big boy bikes 😊the seat on a yz 125 was shoulder height, had to lean it against a tree to kick start it, then ride off from the tree without stalling it and come back to a stop against a tree without crashing to climb off

Good on him, he's putting in extra effort to do something we take for granted and doing it pretty well to boot.
            Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

We all know there are times when you need to plant your foot or give a little touch in slow moving conditions or whatever, times when you need to stop abruptly and the foot that goes down is whatever side the bike is going to fall to in a split second.

It's all about control of your vehicle
              It's like 4th gear no brakes at Trakdayz, if you have too much going on in your head it's a lot easier to make mistakes.
              Do we all? Or just those who dont plan ahead, relying on the crutch of being able to put a footdown instantly?

Being able to pass your licence is all about riding with your feet up.

(and isnt the 4th gear no brakes thing meant to give you Less things to think about?)
              Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

I don't see the issue with the video, I mean Paulie has been riding for years
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by somebodyelse View Post
                  Do we all? Or just those who dont plan ahead, relying on the crutch of being able to put a footdown instantly?
                  Plan ahead? Riding on the road your main philosophy should be expect the unexpected, you can't make any assumptions on any ride as to how the ride will go with regard to variables outside your control. The "crutch" of putting your foot down? What are you some sort of magician that can just balance indefinitely at all speeds?

Being able to pass your licence is all about riding with your feet up.
                  Including stopping at lights, emergency stops, parking and stepping off the bike???? Must've been a different test to mine. You think you would honestly pass if you had to jump off your bike to prevent it falling over?

(and isnt the 4th gear no brakes thing meant to give you Less things to think about?)
                  Correct mate, maybe read my last sentence again. This guy focusing on having to jump off his bike is causing him to probably focus solely or mostly on the vehicle directly ahead of him, reducing his ability to be aware of the rest of his surroundings, pedestrians, cyclists, vehicles behind or beside.

I'm in no way belittling this guy's effort and his passion, as if it was me I wouldn't let anything stop me riding but I dont agree that it's a great thing from a safety perspective.

How does everyone feel about those little old ladies who can barely see over the steering wheel or reach the pedals in their car?

Comment

The only ones with a disability in this video i can see are the family of white trash septic tanks in the SUV laughing at some guy going about his business and then putting it on youtube.
                    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

He's the one in the vulnerable position on the bike, he's the one taking on the increased risk, the rest is none of your business.

Frankly, I wish more people had the obvious passion for riding that this man does. Good on him, ride on!
                      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

for the effort and clear passion to ride 10/10.

being able to pass the test to ride? nope.
                        the crucial part of the E-stop is to have the correct foot down when stopped while also useing the right foot brake. never gonna happen.

also this guy on a hill start.... might aswell forget that too.
                        Originally posted by Paraletic
                        little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

Originally posted by Benny D View Post
                          for the effort and clear passion to ride 10/10.

being able to pass the test to ride? nope.
                          the crucial part of the E-stop is to have the correct foot down when stopped while also useing the right foot brake. never gonna happen.

also this guy on a hill start.... might aswell forget that too.
                          Remember this is in the USA, in a few states they don't even have helmet laws.

Comment

What a legend.

Anyone who overcomes adversity to pursue a passion should be admired and makes me feel like a lazy turd.

Comment

This is in the USA. Where blind people are allowed to own firearms for home defence.

Comment

Working...
                              X