Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army reserves

Hi all

I'm currently in the process of showing interest in the army reserves and am looking for experiences from other members here.

I'm in my mid 20s, employed full time with no plan of changing job/employer in the foreseeable future.
    I have a partner but no kids planned For the near future.

I work 4 days on 4 days off and have found myself with excess free time and an interest to challenge myself and try something new.

Currently looking at the rifleman in infantry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
    1985 - 2009

Comment

Infantry rifleman is the purest, distilled essence of soldiering.

More power to your right arm, young man. And thanks.
      The Earth is slow but the OX is patient.

Comment

I hope you like

Comment

IMO the most time wasting recruitment process ever. Anyway, with the infantry (rifleman) you will be walking like no tomorrow, every day, all day everywhere you go.

Consider A-Squadron XLH (Ten Light Horse) got some of the best vehicles (you won't be walking) and you get to play with number of additional weapons compared to a rifleman.
          They have regular info sessions at 13th Brigade HQ, go talk to one of the members or go there on their weekly training day (Tuesday).

My 2 cents.
          Best I can do to describe the issue is this.
          Normally it goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, shift, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But now it's a bit more like this
          BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-R-R-r-r-r-r-r-, shift

exan

Comment

Originally posted by BikeONE View Post
            IMO the most time wasting recruitment process ever. Anyway, with the infantry (rifleman) you will be walking like no tomorrow, every day, all day everywhere you go.

Consider A-Squadron XLH (Ten Light Horse) got some of the best vehicles (you won't be walking) and you get to play with number of additional weapons compared to a rifleman.
            They have regular info sessions at 13th Brigade HQ, go talk to one of the members or go there on their weekly training day (Tuesday).

My 2 cents.
            Props to you and olrence for not leaving cunty replies

Gay jokes are only warranted if someone wants to join the air force or navy
            Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
              Props to you and olrence for not leaving cunty replies

No one has left a gay joke or cunty reply. Army reservists are known by full time soliders as 'Chocos'. And all the army guys I know constantly speak of pineapples (crappy tasks).

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
                You joined the Navy.. ???
                What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Ever considered joining full time? If I had my time over, I would in a heart-beat.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone, appreciate it.

And pnork - I'm pretty comfortable in my civvy job atm and would take a major pay cut joining the army full time which is not what I'm really looking for currently

Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                    1985 - 2009

Comment

I was in the Army Reserves for a few years, Artillery (or drop-shorts as the Infantry would call us....don't know why ) to be precise.

We got to play with big guns. It was a long time ago and I enjoyed my time, but I found that when I had a girlfriend it got more difficult time-wise.

If I recall it is a commitment of every Tuesday night, one weekend a month and 2 weeks every year as a minimum - but this might have changed.

Good times!
                      Last edited by vegie; 03-06-2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Go for it would be my advice. Its flexible so if it doesn't suit you there isn't any obligation.

As for Rifleman, that's what I was I doing. Its the fittest I've been as an adult, so if getting fit is a goal Infantry will help you do that.

The recruit training will change you, but for the better. Good luck

Comment

I did 14 years in arty reserve best days of my life met my wife and some of my best mates go for it you will love it or hate it but the recruiting process sucks dicks now days

[MENTION=5064]vegie[/MENTION] where you arty at 7 field
                          I may have yelled at you in the past its Bdr McNamara

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by whowalks; 04-06-2016, 11:57 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Also if no one has mentioned the current recruit training is 5 weeks in kapooka then you will need to do another course for combat rolls which is 2 weeks before you even start your core course so save up that holiday leave of course some places also have military leave so that helps

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
                            sigpic

Comment

How old is too old? I certainly don't feel old and on the eve of my 40th I'm considering joining the Reserves as a Patrolman, mostly conducting recon and surveillance on the Nth/West from the Pilbara (where I was born) up along the coastline.

Team of 6, no more. Funnily enough I stumbled on an old letter from ADF dating back Sept 2000 regarding an inquiry that I'd made about recruitment. As mentioned by someone, I'd also do it in a heartbeat.

Rest in Peace
                              Brother Ryad

Comment

Working...
                              X