Monster asteroid passes Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster asteroid passes Earth

A MASSIVE two kilometre-wide asteroid has made a dramatic “near Earth pass” today.

Scientists revealed the colossal rock hurtling through space towards the planet missed by 15 million kilometres – a virtual whisker in space terms.

The asteroid – named 2004 BO41, after the year it was first discovered – could wipe out life on earth if it was to make landfall.

Another rock named 2016 QL44 has also been identified – and heading in our direction on “a highly uncertain orbit”.

However, if it was to crash into a city it would cause the same damage as several nuclear bombs.

It is believed 2016 QL44 will also miss earth – predicted to whiz by at 60,000km/h in nine days’ time, on September 17.

But scientists are keeping a close eye on it in case of a miscalculation or a change in course.

The space rock was coded as a nine of NASA’s scale – meaning scientists are the least certain about its flight path.

In 1908, a similar sized asteroid exploded above Siberia in what has now been dubbed The Tunguska Event.

The impact flattened more than 80 million trees and sent a colossal, earthquake-like shockwave through Russia measuring five on the Richter scale.

And in 2013, a meteor measuring just 13 metres in length blew apart above Chelyabinsk in Russia.

A bright light lit up the sky, windows in buildings were smashed and around 1,000 people were hurt.

A spokesman told The Express: “NASA knows of no asteroid or comet currently on a collision course with Earth, so the probability of a major collision is quite small.

“In fact, as best as we can tell, no large object is likely to strike the Earth any time in the next several hundred years.

“NASA has also made asteroid detection a top priority, and are developing strategies for identifying asteroids that could pose a risk to our planet.”

Hopefully this will land on top of the Japanese Whaling fleet
    What You See

Isn't always what you get

I had some large asteroids once, got this cream from the Dr for it
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Originally posted by Phildo
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Originally posted by filbert
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

What You See

Comment

Bloody Julia Gillard, this is all her fault.
        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Imagine how much better the earth would be.

*Few million less humans
          *Economic stimulus of rebuilding effort

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
          I had some large asteroids once, got this cream from the Dr for it
          Pain must have been stella eh?
          Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
            Nah the pain from memory was caused by something Jane did not Stella

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Comment

Are you trying to get a job at PerthNow TROUBLE? Disgusting wastes of taxpayers money, aeroplanes flying in the wrong direction and now massive earth destroying asteroids

I'm joking of course. I like reading these stories sometimes, you don't get them with ABC news.

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                Nah the pain from memory was caused by something Jane did not Stella
                What did Jane do with Uranus?
                They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
                  Imagine how much better the earth would be.

*Few million less humans
                  *Economic stimulus of rebuilding effort

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure once you start measuring them in km there probably isn't going to be a concern about economic stimulus for anything or anyone left for quite a while. Wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of the world when the baby comes in even if it does just graze the atmosphere.
                  The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/

Enough to make you nervous when these are only the ones they know about
                    The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                      What did Jane do with Uranus?
                      Lets just say she had very long fingernails

Comment

didnt you feel the rocking the other day?

i thought it was the pills giving me dizzy spells........................................

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Don't we already have a clickbait/news.com/perthnow thread?
                          Originally posted by Desmo
                          Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                            Are you trying to get a job at PerthNow TROUBLE? Disgusting wastes of taxpayers money, aeroplanes flying in the wrong direction and now massive earth destroying asteroids

I'm joking of course. I like reading these stories sometimes, you don't get them with ABC news.
                            I amuse myself @ 4am by reading the news..
                            What You See

Comment

Working...
                            X