No announcement yet.

External brick sealing service/product.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External brick sealing service/product.

Hi,

So it seems bricks on the inside of the garage wall are rather wet, from outside after all the rain lately. That side doesnt have a roof so the rain drops directly on the external wall and moisture comes through to the inside.
    After googling it seems such issue can be fixed by applying a brick sealant from the outside.

Have you used such product? If so which one would you recommend?
    or
    Do you know anyone in Perth that does it?

thank you : )
    Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth!!
    Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

Bunnings stock this stuff >>>> Ormanoid Bitkote No.3

Ormonoid Bitkote #3 is a black-brown water based dispersions of bitumen and modifiers, which dry to a black, flexible and water insoluble coating. Bitkote No. 3 is suitable for general purpose repair and protection.

Ideal for the sealing of most timber, metal, brick, concrete and cement sheeting surfaces against water entry.

Bitkote #3 has good resistance to water, alcohol, animal wastes, most dilute salt, acid and alkali solutions to last longer in demanding conditions.

Useable for Potable water applications

Cold applied, easy to use, and easy to clean up in cold water

Ideal for timber and stone retaining walls
    What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Or a clear sealer...I used some paving sealer on the drive and the water beads off....Also as it is clear so there is no unsightly painted effect.
      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Yes, black finish wouldnt be a good choice for a light coloured brick.
        Thinking perhaps something like this:
        https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommeli...ealer_p0960095
        Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

Comment

The only issue is that my neighbours fence is right next to that wall.
          For now i am thinking to go from neighbours side with a ladder and a long roller and try to apply the sealant from top to as low as i can reach, guess i wouldnt be able to get it all the way down.
          Any other ideas?: )

Comment

One of these. The ones with the long handle

What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Maybe its just me but from those pics looks like your gutter is getting full and overflowing back into the roof and down the cavity.
              "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Why not install a flashing and gutter at fence height and channel the water away from 3/4 of the wall easy and cheap to do

Comment

1) Take six pack to next door folks, tell 'em your plan:
                  2) Watch them carefully remove fence sections whilst you drink 2 x beers.
                  3) Watch and give handy advice/light banter/critisism as they dutifully apply sealant (drink two more of those beers)
                  4) Have them reinstate fence sections...
                  5) drink remaining 2 beers. Share one - you're not greedy after all.
                  6) Return home and bust open another six pack... you deserve it.

S.
                  Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Halo: the first pic yes, that was from a year or so ago when it was overflowing and running down the wall, i fixed it now, the bricks are just still discoploured from when it happened
                    water pig: can you show me an image of what you mean? i like DIY jobs but not quite sure what you mean.
                    Sprint: i dont drink beer ;P

Comment

Originally posted by PolishBiker View Post
                      i dont drink beer ;P
                      Start practicing then.. that wall ain't going to supervise itself!

Here... your training video:

S.
                      Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

I would think a garage wall is single leaf so no cavity. I can see a twinside concrete wall that is at the base of the fence which will make any sealing extremely difficult to achieve...a mini roller on a long stick/extension would probably be the only way. You would need to get plenty on so it splashes down to the bottom of the wall. How about drilling your wall from the inside and pumping a sealer in from there? They used to do cavity insulation in the UK that way. Another way would be to pump a fair bit of sealer between the walls...the mastic style stuff is quiet thick and would build up fairly easily.
                        Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

mmmmm diluted bleach and pressure wash will get the green out

Use aquadhere wood glue straight or diluted in water /sprayer 2-3 coats will do it..---------( after brickwork dries completely of course.from bleaching....)

I seal terra cotta pots n the birdbath with this.... ( I used to eat it as a kid..don't ask...) so is relatively harmless...forms a clear membrane smells good too.. :-)

Hope this helps...
                          " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

A siloxane-based formula like Masonry Saver Heavy Duty Water Repellent or SuperSeal M will penetrate deeply into most masonry brick walls for optimal protection. The best sealer for brick walls should be breathable but will not promote peeling or flaking. The siloxane-based brick wall sealers have active ingredients that penetrate the brick pores up to ¼ inch or more. This not only protects the brick wall but also will not alter the appearance of it. When dealing with the best sealer for brick walls, try to steer clear of acrylics, silicones, and similar types of waterproofing sealers that linger on the surface. These brick wall sealers tend to trap moisture vapors and may promote efflorescence, mold, mildew, and other damaging effects.

Comment

Originally posted by tonytwomey View Post
                              A siloxane-based formula like Masonry Saver Heavy Duty Water Repellent or SuperSeal M will penetrate deeply into most masonry brick walls for optimal protection. The best sealer for brick walls should be breathable but will not promote peeling or flaking. The siloxane-based brick wall sealers have active ingredients that penetrate the brick pores up to ¼ inch or more. This not only protects the brick wall but also will not alter the appearance of it. When dealing with the best sealer for brick walls, try to steer clear of acrylics, silicones, and similar types of waterproofing sealers that linger on the surface. These brick wall sealers tend to trap moisture vapors and may promote efflorescence, mold, mildew, and other damaging effects.
                              can I just go to my local home depot or lowes hardware to get such a product ? I've been meaning to get my hummer tuned at the garage so I'll do it then before I go bankrupt from not having health insurance
                              Rest in Peace

Comment

Working...
                              X