Who has a long memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a long memory?

Some great old footage of the early days of the Narrows Bridge, filmed very early 1960s.

It hasn't changed that much over the years.

Anyone old enough to remember this?

(and not me, I wasn't born until 1963, and didnt arrive in Perth until 1971)

I remember this view from Kings Park around 1966.

Comment

I watched that this morning and saw that it was directed by Norman Uren. Fairly unusual name, and sure enough when I showed it to one of my colleagues at work, it turns out it was directed by her Grandfather. So thanks for sharing, it made her day.
      Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
        I watched that this morning and saw that it was directed by Norman Uren. Fairly unusual name, and sure enough when I showed it to one of my colleagues at work, it turns out it was directed by her Grandfather. So thanks for sharing, it made her day.
        we used to have a federal labor minister and deputy leader by the name of Tom Uren

Comment

Originally posted by gareth_oau View Post
          we used to have a federal labor minister and deputy leader by the name of Tom Uren
          Now you're just taking the piss
          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
          Originally posted by Phildo
          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
          Originally posted by filbert
          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Did you used to ride 200kph on gravel?

Comment

Originally posted by Skut View Post
              Did you used to ride 200kph on gravel?
              Duh no but my friend Jim down in Banbury did just ask Filbert...
              Last edited by Crobbo; 09-05-2017, 11:25 PM.
              In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Just might have seen WA's first Multanova flash (0:48) but I could be Wrong?

The Good'old'Days when you (or your Apprentice holding the ladder from falling out the tailgate) could ride in the Back of your Ute (1:21) and it was Still Legal.

Lots of traffic Still having trouble back then Merging (about 2:05) and some Hard far right to Left lane swings.

Lets just Undertake on the Left (2:45) in a Single lane. I'm sure he will realise that I'm there, I sure he won't be Complacent and will check his Mirrors at Regular intervals, Because that's what ALL car drivers do.

Lets just Straddle half of the Parking bays on the Left hand side (3:25) in my Black car with a White roof, so I have a Nice Wide turning circle to get into a Parking bay on the other side....Dam that's a Tight fit. Oops, changed my mind. I might just Reverse park it instead, as Reversing Cameras won't be invented for another 50 years and I'd hate to scuff the Chrome bumper if I overshot. Besides, what are the chances I could squeeze in a 3 Points turn anywhere in here.

No time to grab a Ticket for parking. Lets just Lob a couple of 20c pieces at the Attendant on the way through (3:30). Double points if you can take an Eye out as No Work-safe back then.

Dam near recon I could put a Hummer in those Parking bays and then some but someone still couldn't fit a car inside the space (3:35)

No-one is going to need those Bike bays (3:40) in the top left are they?

"Beyond the Intersection, traffic flows 3 abreast". Bullshit, in the far left lane a Car, SPLIT around another car with enough room that he didn't even hit the Broken Lines (3:45)

The guy on the Far right lane was doing an awesome job of Tailgating (3:40) and I needn't remind anyone that No car had ABS, they were built like Tanks (that didn't dent) and it was considered Flash if you even had a Seat belt.

Lets just J-walk at a Casual pace with our back to the Traffic (4:23)....what's the worse that could happen?

White FJ Ute at bottom of screen (4:39) still parked across his bay and the one behind it. Wait, on freeze frame I can see about another 8 other cars doing the same...look for yourself...LOL. At least the Black Convertable in the middle right of screen left plenty of room for the car on his left to open his door, wouldn't want him to chip the paint.

Who needs a cycle-path (4:54), they'll give me a Yards clearance when I'm riding my Push bike to work on Riverside Drive surely.

A good Near miss (4:57) between 2 cars on Riverside Drive and what would be the Mitchell Freeway on ramp. Even better one of a Truck having to come to a Complete Stop as some Dick changes his mind and does a Hard left onto Riverside Drive after he Forgets to "Follow the Signs that are Reflectorised for Safer night driving and Pick their Correct lanes". Not much changed there in the last 50 years then Huh?

Maybe, I'll just stand on the side of the road (5:20) and wait for the Boss to pick me up from Riverside Drive. Seems a Convenient and Safe place for him to stop when he sees me.

"and a Smooth easy flow of traffic over the bridge at an estimated at Peak hour volume of 6000 vehicles per hour in one direction"...oh how I would Love to know what the Current figure is.

I ALL seriousness, I LOVE to see this type of Footage Now I just have to find the one about "How Asbestos will be the Next Wonder building material of the Future"
                Rules are for the Obedience of Fools and the Guidance of Wise men. Douglas Bader.

Only two things are Infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein.

Three can keep a Secret, if Two of them are Dead. Benjamin Franklin.

Comment

Hell I can remember the Wanneroo race track, they even used to race motorcycles there. Then some car dealer paid them to name it after himself and it was all downhill from there.
                  The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
                  G T

Comment

Working...
                  X