Vegan cafe charges male customers 18 percent ‘man tax’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegan cafe charges male customers 18 percent ‘man tax’

Vegan cafe charges male customers 18 percent ‘man tax’ and seats women first in bid to address gender pay gap

Feminist vegan hopes the move will provoke people into discussing unfair treatment of women

A CAFE is making waves after it began charging blokes more money in a bid to close the gender pay gap.

The feminist vegan owner of Handsome Her eatery in Melbourne, Australia, is making them pay an 18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

Owner Alex O’Brien told Broadsheet website: “I do want people to think about it, because we’ve had this (pay discrepancy) for decades and decades and we’re bringing it to the forefront of people’s minds.

“I like that it is making men stop and question their privilege a little bit.”

Ms O’Brien says the response from her customers has been positive, with one man even donating $50 to the cause.

She said: “There’s been nothing but positivity from everyone, males and females.”

But the reaction on social media has been mixed, with some praising while others are outraged.

One Twitter user said: “This makes me sick. What the hell is wrong with these stupid women. Rules for men to enter?”

While Jack Saba tweeted: “Your “cafe” is sexist.”

The extra money will be donated to the Elizabeth Morgan House which supports Aboriginal women and children.

https://www.facebook.com/handsomeher...ick/?ref=br_rs

Alll I see is a marketing scam... and good on you --girls... you just alienated -2% of the opposite sex who cares what they see on Facebook. ( so if you ever want to reproduce by natural methods--ya just blew it)

So .... this is a joke ...eh?

Straight chicks don't go to les/veg/hip/camp/troll coffee shops.

The same chicks don't drink from other peoples cups.

Unless , of course there is a full length mirror and a handy corner that bounces their voice back at them...just sayin'
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

I guess the market will decide how that goes.

I remember some outrage on social media from that dick Boris about a club in Melbourne that forbade men from approaching woman (which is probably a great place where a chick can go for a drink on her own or meet friends without being propositioned every 5 minutes, and even for guys to just go for the same...)

Same thing applies, it's a free world and they're being pretty up-front and honest. But I bet a bunch of "alpha males" are having a tanty online about it

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmm... gluten free slices for $5.50 each eh? its not just the men folk who are being reamed on price, and you dont even get gluten! obviously theres no perceived issues between taking the moral high grouund complaining about womens wages to making a tidy profit from them

edit------

wait on a minute.........DID THEY JUST ASSUME MY GENDER ???? OUTRAGE
        I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

if you walk into a vegan cafe are you even a man?

Comment

I don't have a problem with them having a 'man tax' at all.
            The wage gap IS a discussion that needs to be had - and good on them for sounding off.

But the priority seating is where I would draw the line.

They've diluted the conversation, and made it sexist/discriminatory themselves...

Comment

Meh Money is going to a Charity anyway so I have no issue with it.
              PSN- DOOOM666

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                I don't have a problem with them having a 'man tax' at all.
                The wage gap IS a discussion that needs to be had - and good on them for sounding off.

But the priority seating is where I would draw the line.

They've diluted the conversation, and made it sexist/discriminatory themselves...
                hahahaha wage gap, you crazy kids

Comment

Just because it's less prevalent at our wage level, doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Comment

Vegan = men wont go there anyway.
                    Ok ok , might get z stragglers in for a coffee once in a while.
                    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                    (anarchy in english )

Comment

Just because it's less prevalent at our wage level, doesn't mean it doesn't exist
                      Bahahahahahaaaaa
                      You should ask Dubs where he has worked.
                      Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                      One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                      . .

Comment

This has gone on long enough.

Time to free the glutens for once and all.
                        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

But isn't the argument that women on average earn less than men?
                          Rather than women doing exactly the same job equally qualified and competent get paid less than men?

If the second case was true I'd be the first to be outraged by it... is there any evidence to support this being the case?

Are there really barriers which prevent a woman from becoming (for example) a brain surgeon, or a highly skilled underwater welder (or pick highly paid career of your choice)?

Serious question, not being argumentative... and happy to be proven wrong

Comment

It's more of a participation gap than a wage gap, but that never gets mentioned.

A woman is far more likely to have time off for kids and/or switch to part time work. Both of these obviously hinder their promotional prospects.

What other factors are at play? My feeling is that comparing the same roles apples for apples, women get paid less
                            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post

What other factors are at play? My feeling is that comparing the same roles apples for apples, women get paid less
                              If this is true, I'll support the cause. I can't see how this could be legal?

Comment

Working...
                              X