2017 Done and dusted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Done and dusted

So now that Xmas is out of the way is it time to reflect on the past year??

For the last 12mths i have had the same missus, same job, same car and same house. What the fuck happened there??

No closer to getting another bike which i miss but with finances in a hole a bike is not happening for a while. I never got to ride for too long but very quickly found how when riding everything else disappears just for a while. Maybe just my concentration or maybe just that pure enjoyment, i miss that clarity.
    This year was the first year i really started to feel my age (mid forties) and knowing how much harder you have to work to keep fit and healthy is not the same as actually doing it.
    Even though for the first time in 4yrs i worked all year financial stress hit me pretty hard and with a tough living arrangement i guess a form of depression got hold of me for the last 6mths but i am working my way out of it. I realised some situations are far from perfect but can't be fixed without a change in approach and thinking and possibly a more positive attitude.
    The kids are getting older and as a parent i am at that stage where i need to let them go do their thing with their mates. Being a part time dad that lives life by a calendar makes that that much harder to do. Mr 14 is turning into a mature (cliched surly teenager!) young man with massive opportunities coming his way this year, and while Mr 12 is growing up fast he is still my best mate and while challenging i love every second i am around him.

So in short, some things may need to break to be fixed but here's to 2018.
    Theres my vent, only had 2 drinks today too 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Meditation is being in the moment. Motorcycle riding is much about being in the moment.

2017 started badly for us but we decided to make the most of it.

A cruise booked out of Fremantle our first nine days after Mrs Lins Operation.

Each radiation treatment we turned into a coffee morning or lunch out

I had to stop working for two months due to anxiety and depression resigned from my career of 40 years.

A week in Kalbarri for Lin after the end of radiation as I had a couple of days work in Carnarvon

I rode my bike to the Border and back solo ride just to do something for me.

Rode the Denmark Black Dog Ride. I facilitated Mental Health First Aid courses in Denmark and Walpole.

Rode for five days to take part in some of the Tasmania Black Dog Ride, the WA part.

I climbed Bluff Knoll just to have bragging rights!

Started a new job working in mental health and have not looked back for one second at the old one. Love it.

Had an opportunity for free accomodation in Uk and Spain. Riding a push bike with Mrs Lin to swim in the Mediteranian a high light.

Linda lost her best friend to the same cancer she fought. We had to say goodbye to our lovely dog.

What will 2018 bring? We are working on this and have bought a caravan.

Our ride to the Mediteranian for a swim.

Comment

And you still have that perfect sense of humour that makes you ‘That Guy!’.

There is still 4 1/2 days left of the year. Plenty of time to get in the shit.

Comment

If I were dwelling on the past as I've been known to do, I’d reflect and solely say I’ve had a difficult year but courtesy of said experiences I’m starting to see things differently. While having a different perspective doesn’t necessarily make the challenges of the year any less difficult, it does in retrospect, help you look at the blessings you had, value them and learn and grow from them. I am determined to learn from, and build on my experiences of 2017 and come out a better person and be ready, and better equipped for what lies ahead.

Originally posted by Geeman View Post
        Yes, I feel the same. There is an irony in that some things have to break in order to change them and therefore stop them from breaking again. It shouldn’t be that way but sometimes it just is and even though you may feel defeated by whatever it is that needs fixing, defeat means acceptance and it’ll never change otherwise - better late than never. My head has previously ruled my heart and that’s where the defeat and acceptance came in for me. Now with a changing perspective the heart is certainly giving my head a run for its money and is challenging so many aspects of my life and what I had accepted as my path.
        Last edited by Kristy; 26-12-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I moved to Melbourne at the end of 2016, and this year have been settling into life in Melbourne. Although I've spent 5 months this year between Adelaide and Dubbo for work.

Pro's of 2017.

Bought and sold a Yamaha Bolt which I was never happy with and now have a Yamaha XSR900.

Made new friends in Melbourne.

Went to WSBK & MotoGP at Phillip Island. Got to see Nicky Hayden race one last time.

Explored a lot of South Australia, Victoria and NSW.

Heading up to Brisbane tomorrow with my bike to ride with some old PSB friends.

Cons of 2017

Didn't get an overseas holiday in, already working on this for next year.

Didn't get to Tassie when I told myself I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Geeman View Post
            So now that Xmas is out of the way is it time to reflect on the past year??

For the last 12mths i have had the same missus, same job, same car and same house. What the fuck happened there??

No closer to getting another bike which i miss but with finances in a hole a bike is not happening for a while. I never got to ride for too long but very quickly found how when riding everything else disappears just for a while. Maybe just my concentration or maybe just that pure enjoyment, i miss that clarity.
            This year was the first year i really started to feel my age (mid forties) and knowing how much harder you have to work to keep fit and healthy is not the same as actually doing it.
            Even though for the first time in 4yrs i worked all year financial stress hit me pretty hard and with a tough living arrangement i guess a form of depression got hold of me for the last 6mths but i am working my way out of it. I realised some situations are far from perfect but can't be fixed without a change in approach and thinking and possibly a more positive attitude.
            The kids are getting older and as a parent i am at that stage where i need to let them go do their thing with their mates. Being a part time dad that lives life by a calendar makes that that much harder to do. Mr 14 is turning into a mature (cliched surly teenager!) young man with massive opportunities coming his way this year, and while Mr 12 is growing up fast he is still my best mate and while challenging i love every second i am around him.

Theres my vent, only had 2 drinks today too 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
            I hear yah, and that's why I have started doing this....

Getting out on the ocean really narrows down what's important at the time and you are literally removed from most land-bound shite, and unlike the road, arseholes are far away.

Edit: and no, it's not my boat, but I have ready access to sail on it - all the fun without the responsibility I even have the option of bringing guests on board for a sail! (And that's my 13yr old boy on the right, so some good old salty bonding happens as well)
            Last edited by Skut; 27-12-2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Started it in Australia, I painted the house and sold the ZZR before going to USA, got a real job, went to Colorado for a few days holiday, went to Disney Orlando for a 'conference' and brought family in tow, in-laws visited a few times, my mum and dad seem to be doing OK after what I feel has been about 10 years of shit aka divorce and aftermath, dad in particular has began to mend after also being the victim of a violent crime, reconnected with a brother I hadn't spoken to in about 7 years.

Ever feel like parent/child rolls sort of flip at a certain point in life? These days, I find myself thinking about my parents often, hoping they are happy and I feel obligated to check in on them and make sure they're OK
              Last edited by INTJ; 29-12-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Lot of change in 2017 and still adapting to a different set of circumstances where a lot has changed but stayed the same.

Taught an Indian bloke to snorkel the other Sunday and really enjoyed floating above the seaweed covered reef watching the surge blow the seaweed around and seeing his joy at counting fish and just being in the ocean as he had not being in the ocean for four years.

Have resolved to spend more time in with the predictable sharks in 2018 as opposed to the land based ones.
                They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Working...
                X