Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opt Out Period My Health Record

Howdy Guys,

You may or may not be aware that the Federal Government has embarked on the digitisation of your health records.

I think we're all big and ugly enough here to understand the privacy and security implications of this, and potential scope creep as is inevitable with Government "intiatives".

You have a three month window to permanently opt out here:

https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/fo...-health-record
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

My issue with it is...someone gets injured at work.

A young person perhaps...who doesn't understand they have the right to choose their own doctor rather than the employer's preferred doctor.

Suddenly the employer's preferred doctor, who is working in the interests of the employer has access to all your medical records and ammunition to use against your injury claim.

Comment

Reason for opting out;

Other: I have no confidence in the competency of the Australian Government when it comes to cyber security.
      Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
        Reason for opting out;

Other: I have no confidence in the competency of the Australian Government when it comes to cyber security.
        Especially when our Government thinks Laws can supplant the rules of maths when it comes to encryption.
        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post

Suddenly the employer's preferred doctor, who is working in the interests of the employer has access to all your medical records and ammunition to use against your injury claim.
          This.

Something like this occurring could be the difference between you being entitled to workers compensation and getting by versus the obviously terrible alternative.

Always put yourself and your family first, 99.99% of employers will not.

Comment

Interesting.

Here's what it does:

In a medical emergency, healthcare providers connected to the My Health Record system can see your health information such as allergies, medicines and immunisations. This helps them to provide you with the best possible treatment and care
            Count me in. I like living.

It's really interesting that there's an argument against it. From people who ride motorcycles.

So the reason to add risk to your (more likely than average) potential life-or-death situation is because you mistrust workers compensation?

Really odd priorities.

Get income protection. Get trauma insurance. Get total & permanent disablement insurance. Get top cover health insurance. And sign up for the My Health Record.

Because you want to put "yourself and your families first", right?

Workers Compensation is an insurance, provided by major insurers through your employer plan. The insurer will, as with any claim relating to health, write to each of the medical practitioners you have visited. Which they know about because of Medicare. If they find something, you'll have an opportunity to dispute it.

Which you can't do if you're dead because they couldn't access your records in time.

Somewhere there's a whole server filled with the extensive medical issues I've had. Honest question - what risk outweighs reducing my risk of death? I can live with the embarassment disclosure might provide - and the massive financial settlement I'd demand for it.

Just my thoughts.

Here's a view against it that's worth a read.

https://privacy.org.au/campaigns/myhr/

Didn't change my mind.
            Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
            1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
              Interesting.

Here's what it does:

Count me in. I like living.

It's really interesting that there's an argument against it. From people who ride motorcycles.

So the reason to add risk to your (more likely than average) potential life-or-death situation is because you mistrust workers compensation?

Really odd priorities.

Get income protection. Get trauma insurance. Get total & permanent disablement insurance. Get top cover health insurance. And sign up for the My Health Record.

Because you want to put "yourself and your families first", right?

Workers Compensation is an insurance, provided by major insurers through your employer plan. The insurer will, as with any claim relating to health, write to each of the medical practitioners you have visited. Which they know about because of Medicare. If they find something, you'll have an opportunity to dispute it.

Which you can't do if you're dead because they couldn't access your records in time.

Somewhere there's a whole server filled with the extensive medical issues I've had. Honest question - what risk outweighs reducing my risk of death? I can live with the embarassment disclosure might provide - and the massive financial settlement I'd demand for it.

Just my thoughts.
              We've survived this long without online medical records. Maybe if there's something in my medical records that's relevant to motorcycle crash injuries I'll opt in. As it stands, there isn't.

And this Government has a poor track record of keeping information secure.

Comment

We've survived this long without online medical records. Maybe if there's something in my medical records that's relevant to motorcycle crash injuries I'll opt in. As it stands, there isn't.

And this Government has a poor track record of keeping information secure.
                Who's "we"? Who has survived this long?

The people who died haven't.

"We" survived without penicillin, computers and MRIs for a while. But they're pretty useful.

It's information. It's already out there electronically. It's able to be accessed remotely which means it's able to be accessed by the wrong people remotely.

This is about making it more accessible in a timely manner to the people who can use it to potentially save your life.

And sure. There'll probably be a slip and someone will discover I have a mental illness and injury-prone hips. I'm more worried about my internet browser history.
                Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

I am disappoint, I thought I could opt out of my period :/

I intended to opt out so thanks for posting as a reminder, OP!

Comment

Who's "we"? Who has survived this long?

The people who died haven't.

"We" survived without penicillin, computers and MRIs for a while. But they're pretty useful.

It's information. It's already out there electronically. It's able to be accessed remotely which means it's able to be accessed by the wrong people remotely.

This is about making it more accessible in a timely manner to the people who can use it to potentially save your life.

And sure. There'll probably be a slip and someone will discover I have a mental illness and injury-prone hips. I'm more worried about my internet browser history.

You're not worried that any old Tom Dick and Harry with access can find out you had the clap 5 times, not counting that nasty oral chlamidia infection?
                    Hey there, Hey fella.

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                      You're not worried that any old Tom Dick and Harry with access can find out you had the clap 5 times, not counting that nasty oral chlamidia infection?
                      I'm not sure how that could be detrimental to my way of life?

What's the scenario you have in mind?
                      Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                      1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

I'm not sure how that could be detrimental to my way of life?

What's the scenario you have in mind?
                        You have the hots for a woman who moved here from the Czech Republic 3 years ago.

She's a former Russian Spy who still has contacts within the KGB.

She uses her old contacts in Russia to either hack the medical data base or add her to the UWA Graduate List as a doctor.

She gets access to your medical records.

Finds out you have chlamydia due to your close contact with Koalas at the wildlife park where you work as a food and beverage attendant.

She turns you down when you summon up the courage to ask her on a date.

An unlikely but not impossible situation.

And that's why I'll be opting out!

Comment

If you had some medical history data that would help save your life in an emergency - sure its a reasonable risk to take

anyone healthy - fuck that, I opted out last week

Comment

I read this one the other day...

https://theconversation.com/my-healt...ting-out-99302

Comment

You have the hots for a woman who moved here from the Czech Republic 3 years ago.

She's a former Russian Spy who still has contacts within the KGB.

She uses her old contacts in Russia to either hack the medical data base or add her to the UWA Graduate List as a doctor.

She gets access to your medical records.

Finds out you have chlamydia due to your close contact with Koalas at the wildlife park where you work as a food and beverage attendant.

She turns you down when you summon up the courage to ask her on a date.

An unlikely but not impossible situation.

And that's why I'll be opting out!

Don't wait - ask her out now before she finds out mate!!

She's obviously in to you or else she wouldn't be using her KGB contacts to find out more about you. But if she's not able to identify the urine-transferred Koala chlamydia (had to Google that) from the differently-named STI from humans, is she even the right girl for you??!

Maybe move on to a local girl. Just make sure it isn't one who has a contact in any Medical office in Australia. Because otherwise she'll be able to use one of the hundreds of thousands of logins used by Doctors to access the very same information available from the Pathology lab website. Although maybe she will think you're the one, and be interested enough to Google the strain to see that you're not a rampant whore.

For sure I can see there would be a reason why some would choose to opt out. I'm just not one to opt out based on potential Russian girlfriends or tin foil theories.

I see my Doctor tomorrow. I'm going to ask him his opinion and see if that changes my mind.
                              Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                              1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Working...
                              X