computer ports help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer ports help

a friend of minde told me to do a "netstat -a" to see what ports were open on the computer etc. so i did, and there a few that somone needs to tell me if there ligimate or not:
    Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State

TCP :1025 images.real.com:1030 ESTABLISHED
    TCP :1025 images.real.com:1032 ESTABLISHED

TCP :1026 images.real.com:1031 ESTABLISHED

TCP :1033 images.real.com:1026 ESTABLISHED
    TCP :4642 scds52.sjc.llnw.net:554 TIME_WAIT

can somone tell me WHY DA FUK i have several open ports to images.real.com and scds54.sjc.llnw.net:554!!!!!!!!!!????????????

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Don't see any reason why that should be open...
    Best way is to close off your ports and see if any services stop
    Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

You've got "some" level of traffic going back and fwd between that site and your pc.

You got a firewall and cleaned your pc of spyware and the likes recently?
      sigpic

Comment

Yeh, check to make sure that no browsers, IRC clients, messenger software is running when you do the netstat -a

Also, the connection to images.real.com just means that those ports are open for some traffic....but might not necessarily be recieving anything. They are established, but that may mean that there was traffic anything up to around 15 mins ago (Can't quite remember the time before windows will revert the ports to time wait state, or close them off). So you may have had some software open, but it may not actually have any data, or only a tiny bit of traffic info passing back to images.real.com

Best thing is to download a piece of software called ad-aware. Its a small program that scans your system for spyware or adware and will allow you to remove any software that performs a call to home to send back information on your movement history, installed software, etc.
        Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Comment

Just another note.

real.com is the site for realplayer. You may find under the settings of realplayer if you have it installed, that there is an option saying "Send back anonymous connection statistics" Make sure this is unchecked, as you may find this is what is being sent back to real.com.

The other option is that it is grabbing images for the gay ass ads that appear in the corner of the realplayer when it is running.

Either way, realplayer blows, after installation of it you have to piss fart round killing off the real.com taskbar piece, which chews up resources, and doesnt actually make your life easier.
          Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Comment

ive got spybot s&D and that hasnt picked up anything, but real player isnt installed, and hasnt been for a few years????

there also about 20 ports that are just listining. that normal?

(\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

Comment

How do you look for a program that may have been installed so someone can look at your computer.eg...your screen becomes there's and they can see everything you are doing.....we have realplayer at home so will have to check the settings on that.

Comment

Having ports listening is normal, nothing to worry about for those.

Pure Power: Usually thats not quite correct, unless you have something like terminal services, remote desktop connection, citrix or VNC installed on your machine. More than likely what you are describing would be a trojan virus, in which case a good quality, up to date virus scanner would be the best method of keeping your system secure.

AVG Anti-Virus is free, and quite reasonable, personally I use McAfee anti-virus, and would definatelly recommend staying away from Nortons. The big problem with norton's software is that it hooks into EVERYTHING, and if it breaks, it takes a lot of other stuff down with it.

I have done so many reinstalls after nortons has shat itself and taken out core sections of Windows, so I'm possibly biased, but I've seen it too often.

Comment

You should have access to the local admin account on your machine (if your not normally logged on as 'administrator'... )

With this, you can go into the 'local users and groups' section in the control panel (or right click on 'My Computer' and select "Manage".

You want to disable all accounts that you don't use - just be carefull you don't turn off one that you need (logon as), as it can make an interesting afternoon trying to logon...

If ya not sure, I'm sure there are plenty of ppl here that will set it up for you.
                  Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Yeh, I have an afternoon spare today if you need any help, and are north of the river

Comment

pffft when i get home from work last thing id wana do is help people with computers let alone think about em

Comment

Your not much of a geek, are you??

Comment

i think chester just cracked a chubby over that piccie there Flakey......

Comment

Phhhhhht.......Lcd's are just for people who cant have a decent sized room for 8 machines to run in

(F**kit, im jealous as all hell, you bastard)

Comment

That pic ain't from my house... :x

Found it on the Net... Thought it'd fit in well with the thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X