X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senna Fan Club

MOVED FROM KIM'S TOPIC OF DINNER
    I GOT IT SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC

I'm with Maarken, as long as there is food and a ride its sounds good to me. Being a poor ass uni student that I am cheaper is better.

With food anyway.
    Dude slightly off topic here but, where did you come up with your user name ?? Are you an F1 fan by any chance ?

Just the old family name Gordo thats all, being a mike people generally know you by your surname rather than your first one.

Why the F1 fan part??
    Life is many different things, just make sure you have one!!

Comment

I think it was the name of the cartoon character of Late great Ayrton Senna, The cartoon ran on TV in Brazil for years to inspire young kids to achieve their dreams.

( spot the closet F1 and Senna fan :roll: )

Comment

Well I had no idea about that. I've actually been to the track in Imola where he died though. Its amazing the track is like its part of the town there are houses everywhere.

Comment

I've actually been to the track in Imola where he died though
          I was crusing down the Aryton Senna Highway in Sao Paulo not so long ago, that was kinda cool.

Comment

I've actually been to the track in Imola where he died though
            I was crusing down the Aryton Senna Highway in Sao Paulo not so long ago, that was kinda cool.
            Lucky barsteward, I wish I could travel over there to do some visiting and pay some respects.
            Senna was and still is a hero of mine.

Comment

Senna was an absolute legend (as if anyone would dispute), I was a big fan of his career.

It was a absolute trip to see the highway (amongst other things) that were named after him in Brasil, They say the popularity of F1 there dropped drastically after he died... Maybe a whole heap of people realised soccer was a little safer.

I was watching a special on Discovery Channel (I think) on F1, well it might have been racing accidents (or physics) in general and they were discussing his accident and what they believed caused it based on the telemetry from the car and the down force characteristics of his car at the time... quite interesting.

Anyway cheers to the legend.

Comment

I have watched and waited years for the truth to come out, I don't belive for a minute it was driver error. My money is and alway has been on the modifed steering column failing at maximum load.
                The Tamurello curve was a flat out bend that must have generated huge stresses on the weld and unfortunatly it let go ( in my opinion )

1/05/94 Darkest day in F1 for me.I'll never forget where I was or what was doing when I heard the event unfold or the radio.
                It kind of felt like a brother had died that day.

As you say cheers to the legend of Senna.

Comment

Well I can't say that I know his career as well as you Gordo, I'm prob a little young to really remember properly. (Not implying that anyone else is old of course).

However F1 is still a sport I'd like to know more about. When I was at Imola racetrack they had some bikes doing laps, 3 months later when I returned to Aus I bought a bike and have had one ever since.

Has anybody been to Melb for the F1 so far??

Comment

i love what goes on behind the tv screens....eg the building of the cars...the technology envolved...time... research... testing... BUT....cant stand watching the damn sport :roll:

Comment

Has anybody been to Melb for the F1 so far??
                      Been to about 3 of them, including this year's. A friend even managed to scam corporate box seating & a Ferrari pit lane tour for us - which was fucking awesome.

My money is and alway has been on the modifed steering column failing at maximum load.
                      I dunno about the physics of what went wrong with Senna's car. Supposedly he lost traction on the bumpy surface. Now with it being a fast corner he would have had shit loads of downforce, but these guys drive on the very edge of the abilities of their machines. So maybe a momentary upset in the balance, an unexpected stress on the chassis & balance, was enough to flick him over that edge and out of control.

.....or have I just bought the standard line?

I would have loved an ongoing battle between Senna and Schuey

Salute to the legend.

Comment

Supposedly he lost traction on the bumpy surface. Now with it being a fast corner he would have had shit loads of downforce
                        His tires were not at their calculated pressure hence his ride hight was lower than it should have been. After getting our from behind the Pace car there were several corners that you can see the car sparking from the belly hitting the ground, as soon as this happens you go from having all the required down force to take the corner to 0. Aluminum is not a good braking compound when used on tarmac..as most riders that have been down will know.

Its surprising that the only car in the field that seemed to have this problem was Sennas, I'm not sure if he had a different ride height setting or a different tire compound.

Comment

Does anyone have the dvd yet??
                          Love
                          Nick :twisted:

Comment

His tires were not at their calculated pressure hence his ride hight was lower than it should have been. After getting our from behind the Pace car there were several corners that you can see the car sparking from the belly hitting the ground, as soon as this happens you go from having all the required down force to take the corner to 0. Aluminum is not a good braking compound when used on tarmac..as most riders that have been down will know.
                            sorry Nath but this is a total load of shite !!! Published by Williams F1 soon after the accident for two reasons. 1. who would wan't to be known as responsible for killing the greatest driver around ? Not Frank Williams or Patrick Head.
                            2. because when a death occurs at an Italian track the team and whoever was in direct contact with the design/build/maintenance of the car can and will be charged with manslaughter. There are moves to reopen the original case some 10 years on.

The tyres may well have been cold, but on the first corner after the start of a race the drivers are balls out, Tamburello was the second corner ( i think ) now if he lost traction the car would have most likely slid sideway into the wall.Look closely at the onboard footage. the car seems to be cornering ok then it snaps slightly to the right and then spears straight contacting the wall at say maybe 45 degrees.
                            Sparks flying out from the undertray are normal the cars have titanium skid plates to allow them to run so low under full downforce loads without damaging vital parts of the underbody.

Fact - between qualifying and the race Senna had asked to for the steering column to be shortend as he had trouble reading the displays,Now he was not someone who could no for an answer so the job was done to chop a section out and then rejoin the shaft. This was not something that should have been done trackside. The most obviously visible broken internal part of the car at the scene was the steering wheel dangling over the cockpit with half the shaft still attached. I know some people may argue that this broke on impact but I don't buy it.

I don't think anyone should be convicted on any charges as Senna knew the risks himself but I would just like the truth to be released as to how the legend fell.

Shit I aint gonna proof read this lot,I'm off to bed

Comment

Ok, fair call, I can only go on what I read and whats on TV... Like TV woud ever lie to me.... and that 3D model they made was real convincing, it even had his helmet the right colour.

But speculation + more speculation - no facts supporting any certin truth as to what happen....certainly, as you say, who would ever take responsibilty for such a tradgey or provide enough facts to find the exact true cause.

Comment

Working...
                              X