Installing a sata hdd??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a sata hdd??

just bought a new sata drive today and want to put stuff from old hd to new one before taking old one out into different pc....
    will it appear on there nice and easy? (i have sata motherboard).
    i should have approproate drivers on the motherboard disc,
    i also understand i have to run my operating system (xp pro) from this drive?
    i want both hdd's in so i can copy my music,piccies movies etc over as u do...............

Do you want to dump everything across including winXP? :?

Or do you plan to install XP on the new SATA drive yourself then just copy across files you want to keep? :shock:

Easiest way is to ghost everything accross with Norton Ghost which will create a whole image of your current hard drive and copy it to your new one. But of course this will copy all the crap you might not want to keep?

Other way is to install the sata by it's self, get it up and running whack XP and its updates on. Then install your old HDD as a slave or whack it on the secondary IDE where ya CDROMS are adn then manually transfer all ya goodies.. like music, ass and titties

pm if ya get lost? else seems to be bulk nerds lingering around this forum

Comment

yeah will be runing xp from new sata drive, then want to manually transfer stuff across or if need be i can take old one out, install xp on newie then pop old one back in later? (although old one has xp on it)?????

Comment

Yer you can and it's probably the best so XP doesnt get cranky and confused by other hard drive devices when you install it.

Just got to make sure when you put the old hard drive in later that it's the slave or on the secondary IDE were you CDROMS are generally..

However once XP is on both drives.. which ever it boots upto it wont matter that much can still transfer the files between them then take the old one out.

have fun :twisted:

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........GETTING THOSE PAINS IN RIGHT TEMPLE AGAIN!! ARRRGGGHHHHH

Comment

I reckon Ghost is your easiest & quickest option & less farting about. Just stick it in as a slave(ask if you don't know what this means), boot from FDD, bring to the boil and simmer for 6 minutes. Shutdown the PC, make the new drive your primary master(once again, ask if necessary), remove the old drive, reboot and serve with a garnish of asses'n'titties.

Here's one I prepared earlier.....

Comment

cant hepl you daz but

mmmm Laetitia Casta

(\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

Comment

Other way is to install the sata by it's self, get it up and running whack XP and its updates on. Then install your old HDD as a slave or whack it on the secondary IDE where ya CDROMS are adn then manually transfer all ya goodies.. like music, ass and titties
                Personally, I'd go with this option.
                ...having dinner with KARMA tonight...

Comment

Yer the longer option is better as all microSLUT programs they always run nicer from a fresh install and you wont be transfering all your registry fuckups form your current system

Comment

I am running 2 x SATA in RAID format. RAID or no RAID it should be the same for you. FOr optimal performance you should do the following.

1. Disconnect your IDE hdd
                    2. Set in bios the startup sequence. Should be CDROM, SATA and HDD0
                    3. Insert XP disc into cdrom
                    4. Once Windows Xp setup is loading hit F5 (from memory) once the blue ssetup screen appears.
                    6. It will install some drivers into your memory and it will prompt u for additional sata drivers.
                    7. Insert you sata drivers and install
                    8. continue with setup
                    9. Once xp is finished and you can get into the OS, turn off your computer
                    10. Reconnect the IDE HDD
                    11. Boot up and transfer what ever files you want from the old hdd to your new
                    12. Enjoy

Comment

CHEERS BOYS BUT CANNOT STOP LOOK AT THE TITS LONG ENOUGH TO READ INSTRUCTIONS

Comment

Working...
                      X