Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC prob. All sorted. Thanks to FraG @ ROSS Auctions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC prob. All sorted. Thanks to FraG @ ROSS Auctions.

I bought an ACER Veriton 5100 at ROSS auction yesterday.
    It's a P3-866 and I'm trying to install windows XP on it.

So you can follow whats going on I'll just step thru what I've been doing.

1) Boot from CD
    2) Format HDD
    3) Install XP (Still in the blue screen mode.)
    It gets to here quite happily.
    Now it resets, goes to run XP for the first time, the XP screen comes up,
    and then the PC resets again, and again, and..... :evil:
    4) Next is would normally go to the screen where you put in the date, location etc and then keep installing XP.

I've used this cd recently to install on other pc's and it works fine.
    Used a diff XP cd, same problem.

Have been to the ACER V-5100 website and there is no mention of a possible problem. Also found nothing when googling.

Anyone got any ideas? Or have I bought myself an expensive paperweight?
    Worst bit is I bought this on behalf of GF, so am gonna fell like a right c**t if I don't get it going. DOH!

If anyone got any ideas it would be much appreciated.
    sigpic

Sounds like it's got a problem with some piece of hardware in the machine, When it's about to crash and reset look closely does it blue screen for a split second?, Also what windows did it come with? Did it run that alright?
    My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
    Motorcycle Panel & Paint
    Q-Zar Fremantle
    Rated-R Parts
    PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
    Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
    CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
    Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Sounds like it happens when it first goes from text mode to GUI mode. Can you try a different video card for a test? Maybe try different RAM. Check/Reset the BIOS settings.

Put a Knoppix (live Linux CD) in and see if that brings up a GUI desktop. It won't touch your harddrive and you don't need to know linux, but it is a 700 MB .iso. ftp://mirror.wa.3fl.net/pub/knoppix/KNOPP...-2004-05-04-EN/

-G00f

Comment

Tyson:

It came with nothing on the pc.
        No spilt-second blue screen. It resets after about 5sec on the black screen with the windows logo.

You can get into the bios easily and all that works.

It has onboard video, so I thought I'd just try and put a card in and see if anything different happened. Looking at the card you could see the fan power up but no output. (card is good).

Enabled the testing options in the bios and it goes thru them with no errors.
        sigpic

Comment

Goof:

Currently trying to install Windows 2000 to see if the same thing happens.

So i download everything from that site and put it onto 1 cd and make it bootable?
          sigpic

Comment

Trying out win 2000 or 98's a good idea, if that works throw the Xp cd in the drive and check for compatability.

Also an alternative to knoppix is Damn Small linux, Just a cut down version of knoppix, only 50MB
            ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions...t/dsl-0.7.2.iso

Edit : Oops didnt see that win2k didnt work, It's a long shot but it's not running hot is it?
            My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
            Motorcycle Panel & Paint
            Q-Zar Fremantle
            Rated-R Parts
            PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
            Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
            CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
            Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

So i download everything from that site and put it onto 1 cd and make it bootable?
              No, just the .iso file. A .iso is an image of a CD (ie it's a package that contains smaller files, like a .zip). I think most CD burning software should be able to recognise it and write it to a CD. The point of it is there is fairly good hardware detection and better error reporting when you boot from that CD.

Oh, and you probably have to turn off the onboard video chip to make the video card work.

-G00f

Comment

There was only 2 options for the onboard video, AUTO and ONBOARD.

Just installed Windows 2000 and get the same problem.
                The windows 2000 loading screen comes up does it's thing, then RESET.

I forgot to mention that I bought a second one at the same time for a mate, just spoke to him, he only put 2000 on it, and had hardware problems, but wasn't doing any silly reseting stuff.
                sigpic

Comment

Not much more I can suggest remotely. It is certified for Win 98/ME/NT/2000. You need to coax your local nerd around to look at it.

Good luck,
                  G00f

Comment

Being in charge of the Ross's Auctions computer section I'll give you my personal gurantee that I'll get it going or replace/refund.

If I can't replace I'll def refund for ya mate. The testing guys don't load OS's so sometimes shit like this happens.. Ie. we won't pick up Mainboard faults

Some gimme a call morrow at work on 9272 4644 or come in and see me.

Ask for Matt Kalinski.

Sorry for the inconvenience
                    Will you insure me?!

Comment

I had the exact same problem on a few weeks ago. I found it was all down to a faulty hard drive.
                      ...having dinner with KARMA tonight...

Comment

Tyson/Goof: Cheers for the help.

edit: And Blade954. (Tried the hdd bit too. It's beyond me.)

FraG: LEGEND!

That'd be great. I'll keep at it, but will give you a ring tomorrow.
                        sigpic

Comment

Being in charge of the Ross's Auctions computer section I'll give you my personal gurantee that I'll get it going or replace/refund.
                          That's very encouraging to hear. I could do with a new gateway/server box. Might have to rock up the the next one.

-G00f

Comment

No probs, wouldn't want to be partly responsible for a bloke getting no nookie from his missus over a puta :roll: :twisted:

But yeah gimme a call morrow and we'll sort it.
                            Will you insure me?!

Comment

The testing guys don't load OS's so sometimes shit like this happens.. Ie. we won't pick up Mainboard faults
                              Yeah that's fair enough, considering the massive amount of gear at each auction It'd be a nightmare to go to that level of detail.

That's very encouraging to hear. I could do with a new gateway/server box. Might have to rock up the the next one.
                              I haven't looked out for them but they seem to have lots of everything.
                              the website usually has a full listing up by each thursday.

I'd still recommend going, lotsa good & cheap gear. Plus it's always amusing when you see 3 ppl trying to out-bid for a Lot of 3.....only to buy one each. :shock:
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X