This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most stuffs gone;

still have the phone mount, but forgot to mention it's the one that clips on to the handle bar...
    similar to this
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universa...IAAOSwgotcGLVS

*USB wire has been cut as it didnt work in the first place....

have a few large size wrenches (can't remember the sizes, maybe used on front axle?) steel brushes and what nots that I definately wont use;
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Tron View Post
      Wish I saw this earlier. I don't seem to get email notifications anymore for this thread? help pls?
      What would a set up for this cost? interested in a similar set up.
      Depends how much you do yourself. I'm running Hikvision ones now and they run about $110/120 a piece for 4MP. If you want a simple setup, buy their DVR with inbuilt power over ethernet, and then literally plug a HDD in, plug the cameras into the back of the DVR, and it will detect and configure them and supply power. Think the one I sorted out at mums place was about $800~ for the 16 channel DVR, and in bulk the cameras were around the $110 mark at that time. Can't recall the price on the HDD, it was I think a 4TB surveillance model. And then we ran all the cabling, 305m box of CAT5E/6 when I stocked up years ago was about $120 on special.

Comment

• Thanks for the the heads up, doesn't sound too bad in total. 305m of cabling sounds like a lot of land to cover! will look up the brand and IQ of cameras - i'm assuming it's good enough for low light and 'sharp' enough. Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by claymen View Post
        Depends how much you do yourself. I'm running Hikvision ones now and they run about $110/120 a piece for 4MP. If you want a simple setup, buy their DVR with inbuilt power over ethernet, and then literally plug a HDD in, plug the cameras into the back of the DVR, and it will detect and configure them and supply power. Think the one I sorted out at mums place was about $800~ for the 16 channel DVR, and in bulk the cameras were around the $110 mark at that time. Can't recall the price on the HDD, it was I think a 4TB surveillance model. And then we ran all the cabling, 305m box of CAT5E/6 when I stocked up years ago was about $120 on special.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tron View Post
          Thanks for the the heads up, doesn't sound too bad in total. 305m of cabling sounds like a lot of land to cover! will look up the brand and IQ of cameras - i'm assuming it's good enough for low light and 'sharp' enough. Any other suggestions?
          Hikvision are the ones I have in the shop - welcome to have a look next time I see ya but great quality / cost balance in all light conditions IMO

Swann however...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaw View Post
            Hikvision are the ones I have in the shop - welcome to have a look next time I see ya but great quality / cost balance in all light conditions IMO

Swann however...
            Yer Hikvision have been excellent. The only issue I have really found is making sure that if you buy off eBay make sure you get the international version so you get easy firmware updates, and that when you run them flat out, so 4MP @ 4MP I find it introduces some weird noise. I've found that running my 4MP at 3MP that the image quality improved through less noise.

Hahaha Swann, most of the consumer stuff is garbage. Foscam and all that crap. Even unifi are overpriced junk.

Originally posted by Tron View Post
            Thanks for the the heads up, doesn't sound too bad in total. 305m of cabling sounds like a lot of land to cover! will look up the brand and IQ of cameras - i'm assuming it's good enough for low light and 'sharp' enough. Any other suggestions?
            305m is just the cheaper way to buy it, especially if you have to run a few cameras, starts to add up. Personally I prefer using separate software and a small PC for camera recording, typically way more flexible and obviously being software based you get new features over time assuming you pay your yearly license. I'm using BlueIris, which is pretty well priced, US$60 and then $30/year if I recall correctly. Supports up to 64 cameras, works with hardware accelerated decode/encode if you have either a recent-ish Nvidia GPU, or a CPU that supports QuickSync (Intel i7-2600 onwards basically). The hardware acceleration is amazing, I've got 12 cameras going and because all the decode/encode is done on the Intel GPU, the actual CPU sits there doing stuff all. I went from having 3 camera's smashing away at 50-70% CPU, to having 12 camera's and the system be mostly idle which means lower power and less heat. The GPU does in 2-3w what the CPU would need 90W for.

Depending how you work your camera recording you may need a fair bit of RAM on a PC setup, for example whilst I do motion detection, I capture 30 seconds of footage pre and post motion. This means that the system stores a constant 30 seconds or so of each camera feed in RAM, and depending on your framerate and video resolution it can add up. My system is currently an i7-3770 with 16GB of RAM. But this system runs quite a few other things, Plex, Software firewall etc, but the BlueIris software sits around 4-5GB with all 12 camera's going.

Comment

• interesting setup. I kind of want to do it cheap as I will not need 12 cameras but i do like the idea of capturing pre/post.
              I suspect that the DVR is the best option for me based on what your info as i am not a power user and am not sure future feature updates would provide if i just need something that records and stores ? plus with only 3 cameras I don't think it'll be necessary to invest in another PC and software subscription to have that flexibility..though i could source a spare GPU which does sound effective in your setup.

Will check out Jaws set up and see how i go from there thanks heaps

Originally posted by claymen View Post
              Yer Hikvision have been excellent. The only issue I have really found is making sure that if you buy off eBay make sure you get the international version so you get easy firmware updates, and that when you run them flat out, so 4MP @ 4MP I find it introduces some weird noise. I've found that running my 4MP at 3MP that the image quality improved through less noise.

305m is just the cheaper way to buy it, especially if you have to run a few cameras, starts to add up. Personally I prefer using separate software and a small PC for camera recording, typically way more flexible and obviously being software based you get new features over time assuming you pay your yearly license. I'm using BlueIris, which is pretty well priced, US$60 and then $30/year if I recall correctly. Supports up to 64 cameras, works with hardware accelerated decode/encode if you have either a recent-ish Nvidia GPU, or a CPU that supports QuickSync (Intel i7-2600 onwards basically). The hardware acceleration is amazing, I've got 12 cameras going and because all the decode/encode is done on the Intel GPU, the actual CPU sits there doing stuff all. I went from having 3 camera's smashing away at 50-70% CPU, to having 12 camera's and the system be mostly idle which means lower power and less heat. The GPU does in 2-3w what the CPU would need 90W for.

Depending how you work your camera recording you may need a fair bit of RAM on a PC setup, for example whilst I do motion detection, I capture 30 seconds of footage pre and post motion. This means that the system stores a constant 30 seconds or so of each camera feed in RAM, and depending on your framerate and video resolution it can add up. My system is currently an i7-3770 with 16GB of RAM. But this system runs quite a few other things, Plex, Software firewall etc, but the BlueIris software sits around 4-5GB with all 12 camera's going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaw View Post

Swann however...
                interesting setup. I kind of want to do it cheap as I will not need 12 cameras but i do like the idea of capturing pre/post.
                I suspect that the DVR is the best option for me based on what your info as i am not a power user and am not sure future feature updates would provide if i just need something that records and stores ? plus with only 3 cameras I don't think it'll be necessary to invest in another PC and software subscription to have that flexibility..though i could source a spare GPU which does sound effective in your setup.

Will check out Jaws set up and see how i go from there thanks heaps
                If you want to just plug it in and have it do its thing, then grab one of their DVR's. That's why mum has it, don't have to mess about, it just sits in the cupboard, sends alerts to her phone, job done. She's got two of them now, one running 9 camera's (might be 10 now), another at her other place running 6.

Comment

• The company I work for does all this stuff.

You need to be careful with what you get over the net.

We use cameras that don’t need software updates that you pay for.

Also make sure that you change the passwords on all your cameras if your using them through the net.

Comment

• Originally posted by marras View Post
                    The company I work for does all this stuff.

You need to be careful with what you get over the net.

We use cameras that don’t need software updates that you pay for.

Also make sure that you change the passwords on all your cameras if your using them through the net.
                    The camera's get firmware updates for free, as do the DVR's. But there is a limit to what you get for free, you can't honestly expect new features in software for free forever someone has to pay for that software to be developed. Hell even the beloved Apple cuts people off at some point.

At some point either the hardware isn't capable, or it is not sold anymore so there is no incentive for them to develop anything new on it.

My point around the software side of things, is you can absolutely keep using it on the version you have forever if you please, just don't expect any support, or any new features.

Also the note around being careful which version you buy, there are models for the Chinese market specifically which are significantly cheaper. There are modified firmware versions which convert these back to English, but each time a firmware update comes out you need to modify it to work. The simplest way around this is to just buy the worldwide model in the first place and then you can just download the updates straight from their site.
                    Last edited by claymen; 12-04-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by okitoki View Post
                      most stuffs gone;

still have the phone mount, but forgot to mention it's the one that clips on to the handle bar...
                      similar to this
                      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universa...IAAOSwgotcGLVS

*USB wire has been cut as it didnt work in the first place....

have a few large size wrenches (can't remember the sizes, maybe used on front axle?) steel brushes and what nots that I definately wont use;
                      Yeah I'm interested in the mount mate When you say clips on the bar, does it still have the ball joint clamp as in the pic on the link?
                      Only ask as I'm looking to put a mount through the head stem anyway which would require another ball mount anyway so the ball and plate would be superfluous

I wouldn't be able to collect for a week as I'm out of town till Saturday so let me know
                      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                      Originally posted by Phildo
                      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                      Originally posted by filbert
                      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• having a clean out - more will be added as I unearth shit

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wbtUofPUVdRtSxD98

Set of beginners golf clubs - can throw in a trolley

2 MT XX tail sections

Champagne bucket with stand
                        Last edited by dwillia; 14-04-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• is that pic working for ppl??

Comment

• Originally posted by dwillia View Post
                            is that pic working for ppl??
                            nope not working

Comment

• FFS

Comment

• I can see it.
                                The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Working...
                                X