Building Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Codes

Does anyone know the regulations regarding windows and privacy for the second story of a residential house?

Guys out the back of our house have sub-developed and have a full size 2nd story window looking straight into our back yard, whilst the guys across the road needed to put small windows high up in the walls to get approval.

Not so worried about the 2nd story, but they can see into 80% of our yard, and we don't want to put up 5m high fencing...

Just make sure you have your best underwear hanging on the line.

Your local council should be able to advise what is allowed and what isnt in your suburb.

Comment

plant some trees. largish ones
      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

BCA is tricky and open to interpretation just like any other such BS. What gets past by council one week wont necessarily get past the next and vice versa. The best be is to contact council to discuss the issue.

I was under the impression though that proposed plans for developments in established areas where issued to the owners of surrounding premsises so they had a right to object.

Although councils are corrupt. If the property was built by a councellor or some one that knows one etc, you most likely dont have a leg to stand on.

Just thinking out loud but the other thing here could also be the otrentation of the development. Northern facing aspect etc.

Failing all of the above, I happen to know where you may be able to obtain some high end CCTV equipment which may or may not look into their windows for youtube goodness.
        In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
        Its the little things that make the difference
        Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
        If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

"Right to light" I think is the principle you're looking for. A little vague on that as we covered it the day after my 20th birthday.

I was not well.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Yeah, they said it met local council approval - becuase the window is more than 4.5m from our property boundary.
            There is a 7-8m wide storm drain separating the two properties, which nullifies the 4.5m rule above.
            We weren't notified of the development until the actual building started, and had no idea it was going to be 2 story until they put the framework up.

They can see waist height 2-3m from our fence, and grass within 5m of our fence.

Best underwear? I wash ALL my clothes at the same time - nothing to wear until it's dry.

Edit: Windows are facing east and largish. Makes me wonder how it got past the Energy Efficiency rules, but the rest of the house is well shaded...

Comment

just hook up a huge security light, they won't want to look in for fear of being blinded, or Going nude may have the same effect

Comment

Point a webcam from your eves in the direction of the offending structure, it won't fix anything, but it'll be a little bit of tit-for-tat.

And who doesn't love tit-for-tat?

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Sif webcam..... toyz!
                  In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                  If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Best underwear? I wash ALL my clothes at the same time - nothing to wear until it's dry.[/b]
                    In that case make sure they are home when your hanging it out

Sounds like semi's tree idea is all thats left. Good luck.

Comment

but they can see into 80% of our yard, and we don't want to put up 5m high fencing...[/b]
                      that's normal. As a site worker, I go into a new house just about every day. Probably about 40% of which are 2 storey. Every one of them has a full view of the surrounding yards. That's suburbia. Plant some palms

Comment

BCA doesn't come into it - overlooking and glazing is all covered in the Residential Design Codes (R-Codes). If that 2nd storey is a habitable room and there is an aperture or window that could potentially overlook another property the window needs to be obscure glazed or of a size or height so that a person standing normally cannot see out of it

Comment

O'rly? Never seen that enforced.

Comment

O'rly? Never seen that enforced.[/b]
                            The only way it can be enforced is if the design was assessed under the performance criteria of the R Codes (which requires a planning application) and a condition of planning approval required obscure glazing on the 2nd floor north facing windows or whatever it is. It is frequently enforced and I have done so many times.

Comment

I find that realy odd. Ive worked around the constuction industry for 15 years and almost every 2 storey home I see has windows in habitable rooms which overlook adjacent properties.

Comment

Working...
                              X