The blind leading the blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blind leading the blind

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge in California certified a class action lawsuit against Target Corp (TGT.N) brought by plaintiffs claiming the discount retailer&#39;s website is inaccessible to the blind, according to court documents. </p>Judge Marilyn Patel of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California also rejected Target&#39;s motion for summary judgment in the case, according to the ruling filed October 2

According to the ruling, plaintiffs -- including the National Federation of the Blind -- claim Target.com violates federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination against the disabled

"This is a tremendous step forward for blind people throughout the country who for too long have been denied equal access to the Internet economy," Marc Maurer, president of the National Federation for the Blind, said in a statement.</p>

"All e-commerce businesses should take note of this decision and immediately take steps to open their doors to the blind," Maurer said.</p>"Target is committed to serving all of our guests and we believe that our Web site is fully accessible and complies with all applicable laws," Bloomberg quoted Target spokeswoman Carolyn Brookter as saying in an e-mailed statement[/b]
    Click for article.

Im all for accessability for those with physical limitations but where do we draw the line. iTunes next because the the hearing impared cant make full use of the site?
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

i had a blind user on my 2400baud bbs back in the early 90s.. I added plain text menus just for him.. cos im such a nice fella.

Comment

it&#39;s stupid, but we have the same kinds of laws over here.

Comment

Im all for accessability for those with physical limitations but where do we draw the line. iTunes next because the the hearing impared cant make full use of the site?[/b]
        A deaf person wouldn&#39;t have any problems using iTunes or purchasing/dowloading music.
        Only issue would be with the playback at their end - hence their problem with purchasing something they can&#39;t fully enjoy.

Not quite an equal analogy.

Sight impairment isn&#39;t a physical limitation? Certainly a physical part of the body that&#39;s not working.

edit: - I&#39;m not saying that the above lawsuit is reasonable either.

Comment

Deaf people can still read the "error" messages you get when using Itunes.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

It doesn&#39;t take that much to make a website accessible to the visually impaired, WA Govt sites must all comply with the same regulations, I beleive that for a small initial cost the sites become accessible to everybody. It seems reasonable that everybody have access or rather the ability if they want to access these sites.
            Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

It doesn&#39;t take that much to make a website accessible to the visually impaired, WA Govt sites must all comply with the same regulations, I beleive that for a small initial cost the sites become accessible to everybody. It seems reasonable that everybody have access or rather the ability if they want to access these sites.[/b]
              Agreed.
              But there must be the distinction between inadvertantly failing to make a site accessible, and deliberately making a site inaccessible to exclude (hence discriminate against) the visually impaired.

The litigation mentality of some people as opposed to simply requesting that changes be made to improve accessibility.

Would be a bit like suing the Royal Agricultural Society/Claremont Council for the rediculous ACROD parking at the Claremont Showgrounds, or simply giving constructive feedback and waiting for improvements. (and an improvement there was )

Comment

Sight impairment isn&#39;t a physical limitation? Certainly a physical part of the body that&#39;s not working.[/b]
                I never mentioned that it wasnt a physical limitation.

What was meant was that there needs to be a line drawn with how far legal bs is taken in circumstances like this.
                In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                Its the little things that make the difference
                Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Yeah this shit makes me laugh (was a very similar, possibly same case raised a few years ago)

If you write your website so it&#39;s not braille compatible or whatever, who&#39;s fault is that? Your&#39;s for not supporting a marginal technology that there&#39;s no standard methodology for, or the operating system vendor&#39;s (for not providing a translater into speech or whatever) or what?

If you inadvertently cut off a section of the market, you&#39;re just opening it up for a competitor.

I&#39;ve got nothing against people with disabilities, but shit...
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Maccas have braille on the drink lids.

Comment

as do atm&#39;s on the keys. gee, I think there should be braille on road signs and everything. But for the blind ppl I think everything should make a beeping noise too.
                      Originally posted by kyliejane
                      benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
                      Originally posted by harns
                      Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mark_rattigan @ Oct 4 2007, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
                        Sight impairment isn&#39;t a physical limitation? Certainly a physical part of the body that&#39;s not working.[/b]
                        I never mentioned that it wasnt a physical limitation.
                        [/b][/quote]
                        Sorry, misread what you said.

What was meant was that there needs to be a line drawn with how far legal bs is taken in circumstances like this.[/b]

Agreed - as I mentioned above it needs to be somewhere along the line where inadvertant &#39;discrimination&#39; becomes deliberate.

Comment

as do atm&#39;s on the keys. gee, I think there should be braille on road signs and everything. But for the blind ppl I think everything should make a beeping noise too.[/b]
                          Same goes for them new Toyota eco cars. They are silent so you can&#39;t here them coming. You don&#39;t have to be blind to get hit by one of them. When they go faster you can here the tye noise, but thats not much help. They should make the same noise George Jetsons craft made...

Comment

I blind person could probably hear a new toyota echo better than a sighted person.
                            No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

I blind person could probably hear a new toyota echo better than a sighted person. [/b]
                              I think he was referring to a Prius when running on electric, but you&#39;re still right

Comment

Working...
                              X