Hello from Kazakhstan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Kazakhstan!

Hiya everybody, been here two weeks already, and still been keeping an eye on PSB and the rest of the normal world. Now have 6 more weeks to go before I can come home again, hopefully the snows hold off as long as possible cos its already getting damn cold.
    Anyhows my digital camera died on the flight over from Dubai, so the only handful of pics I have so far are from around site on the mobile, still should give you a bit of an idea of how barren the country is maybe.

View across the grass steppes to one of the neighbouring mines waste dumps

Kazakkh Fire Extinguisher, boring I know haha

Our brand new state of the art Russian Concrete Batch Plant- is crap of course

The batch plant dog, shes only a puppy, but there are dogs everywhere on site.

Underground Tag board

A view in another direction of yet another neighbouring mines waste dump

One of the best things about this place, the sunset and sunrises, beautiful!

Ill try and take more pics over the next few weeks, and some of in town too when I finally get the chance to go exploring in there.
    In the mean time Ill keep learning my russian
    In Kazakhstan if you want sugar in your coffee you ask for Kunt

central asian engrish.

So....It's niiice!?

No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

VERY NAAAARSE....

When puppy is big... err dog... i hev hkim for meke sexy taarme!
      In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
      Its the little things that make the difference
      Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
      If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Looks kinda dead. Are there many people on site there?

Comment

where's borat?
          "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Any strip joints?

Comment

Well hello there

Don't forget to try and get piccies of Borat for me when you go to town

Comment

Alright time to answer a few questions then.

No I havent found Borat, I have found two Marat's though but thats as close as it gets so far, the locals really didnt like the movie at all, which is funny cos in a lot of ways the reality is oh so much worse!

Havent found any strip joints in Khromtau, might be a few in the bigger cities like Aktobe and Almaty or Astana, but almost all the women are hot, suprisingly so, although considering the food youd be doing well to ever get fat off what they eat, is crap!

Heaps of locals on site, verry few aussies, only normally about 5 or 6 of us on a crew and then a handful more in more senior management, but were only meant to be here for 27months training the locals to mine our way, yeah right, there will be ex pats working here until the mine reaches its life expectancy in roughly 20yrs.

As you can see from the pics its a prety barren desolute sort of country out this way, Khromtau is in north western Kazakhstan, its a wamer more forrested region around Almaty, but there is also a massive mountain range just outside of Almaty too, here the biggest hills are the massive waste dumps from all the other mines that surround us. And they really dont like us being here either haha, this lease was one they forgot to renew and the company snatched up before they could do anything about it. So were not very popular with the local authorities, the locals love working for us though. We pay better and the conditions are about 20 times better and safer than what the local mines normally work with. Plus we mine a hell of a lot faster than they have ever seen in this country before.

As for the food, it is aweful, meat is always cooked until it is dry, pasta is never served with any sauces just plain and everything is cooked in oil and with heaps of flax as well apparently. Suffice to say that at the moment Bali Belly would be preferable to Kazkah belly.

Ill be hanging out for Big Mac when I fly back to Dubai on my way home.

Comment

tatoowine?
                  1, Always look good
                  2, Always know what you're doing
                  3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Comment

Two quick ones Scorpo...
                    What are you mining?
                    And who do you work for?
                    Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

Two quick ones Scorpo...
                      What are you mining?
                      And who do you work for?[/b]
                      Were mining Chromite, Khromtau the local town actually means Chrome Mountain and there are quite a few other mines here, all mining the same thing. Which is the other reason the authorites dont like us, were basically mining an outcropping finger of what they see as their ore body haha.

Byrnecut did the hiring, but now that Im here I believe Im actually working for CAMS or Central Asian Mining which is a joint venture between Vokshod Mining and Oriel. Basically a British led conostrium with some Kazakh partners.

Oh and the tax is only 10% here

Comment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stu @ Oct 5 2007, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
                        Two quick ones Scorpo...
                        What are you mining?
                        And who do you work for?[/b]
                        Were mining Chromite, Khromtau the local town actually means Chrome Mountain and there are quite a few other mines here, all mining the same thing. Which is the other reason the authorites dont like us, were basically mining an outcropping finger of what they see as their ore body haha.

Byrnecut did the hiring, but now that Im here I believe Im actually working for CAMS or Central Asian Mining which is a joint venture between Vokshod Mining and Oriel. Basically a British led conostrium with some Kazakh partners.

Oh and the tax is only 10% here
                        [/b][/quote]

Small World.

I&#39;m doing some vent design for there at the moment.

Does the ambient portal intake air really reach -40C? No wonder you need that heater bank.

Comment

Hey did you see my mate&#39;s kazak pics from last year?

Enjoy the coming winter months
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

thro there was no need for that. You&#39;ve ruined it for hi (and us) now
                            In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                            Its the little things that make the difference
                            Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                            If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

did you pack your flouro G-banger?

Eek, looks like a wasteland!

How long will you be there for?
                              Originally posted by vk6hgr
                              My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

Working...
                              X