2 widdle birdies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 widdle birdies

so this Dove nested in my tree much to my dismay due to the fact I have two beagles who are obviously hunting dogs by nature. This means that whenever birds drop in our back yard they are quite quick to scare them off ...

anyway so this dove build a nest, hatches two baby doves and then leaves em. So i'm asking for advice ...

are they eating? Should I intervene and take them down, feed them etc til they can fly or what? We haven't see the mother since they were born. They just sit there growing each day and of course my dogs want to eat them.
    Last edited by Viper; 22-10-2007, 02:01 PM. Reason: change title :)

If they are growing rather than dying I am going to go ahead and assume that they are being fed, shouldn't the mother still be around then. Just out hunting all the time.

Comment

we never see her ... if she does come back my dogs would go nuts unless she sneaks in (highly unlikely). During the day i'd of thought she'd hang around to protect them etc but we haven't seen her anyway...

Comment

are they cannibalizing each other? Being doves I am unsure if anyone will take them in (sanctuary wise). I found an injured owl once and took it into a vet who got a sanctuary to come pick it up, but it wasn't classified as a pest

Comment

Doves are pretty stupid, they will probably ignore a yapping dog on the ground if its not posing a risk to them. The mother dove is probably nearby, once the babies have hatched they dont need to be sat on all the time.

Comment

We had baby doves, out dogs wern't the problem, it was ... THE KILLA CROW! Nah the beebies only lasted 2 days before they went missing, kinda sad.
            I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

^^^ nothing Daisy the air rifle can't fix.

Daisy likes crows.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
                we never see her ... if she does come back my dogs would go nuts unless she sneaks in (highly unlikely). During the day i'd of thought she'd hang around to protect them etc but we haven't seen her anyway...
                she will be around !
                just watch the dogs when the babys start to fly,have a nest here that gets used in breeding season.
                one of the chicks flew out straight into the window on its maiden flight,needs to learn how to lean !!
                the cat just watched !

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

My dogs eat doves all the time

Comment

Its funny, my Rottie likes doves and with let em walk around the whole back yard but he hates crows n magpies

Comment

Originally posted by potatoe_jones View Post
                      she will be around !
                      just watch the dogs when the babys start to fly,have a nest here that gets used in breeding season.
                      one of the chicks flew out straight into the window on its maiden flight,needs to learn how to lean !!
                      the cat just watched !
                      This is what i'm worried about most ... if the bird falls on the ground my dogs will want to play with it and more than likely kill em.

might have to let the lil shits inside for few days til Nola is on maternity leave which is Tursday . They love being inside so won't go outside much but the birds are getting big now and will start to fly shortly.

Comment

We have a variety of flying rodents nest in our back yard every year and two dogs that love nothing more than a quick feathery meal. If your hound cant jump they'll be alright.

I wouldnt be too worried about the mother not being around. The babies in our tree are fine and I never see the mother during the day. If shes not there at night though theres a problem.
                        In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                        Its the little things that make the difference
                        Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                        If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Looks like either the birds have flown the coop or my dogs had dessert yesterday some time. Hopefully the first choice

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
                            Looks like either the birds have flown the coop or my dogs had dessert yesterday some time. Hopefully the first choice
                            when my dogs used to get birds there were feathers and shit everywhere. You'd know about it if the dogs got them

Comment

heh, i've got a beagle and he's too lazy to get up when he's sunbaking even if a bird lands on the grass near him!! damn slack dog!

Comment

Working...
                              X