Lolly's getting clucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lolly's getting clucky

So who has had experience with Silkies? I think that they are just adorable, and was hoping to keep a couple in the backyard. Here are some pics if you need convincing: My Pet Chicken - Breeds - Silkie Bantam

I have read though that they are not particularly good layers but that might be okay as we don't eat that many eggs anyway.

Otherwise maybe I should get a Leghorn as well?

Any advice on where to buy a chook hutch? I am hoping to get one with an enclosed run as well so that they can roam around without being stalked by our puddies.

Any advice on pros and cons of keeping 2 silkies and say one Leghorn (or something else) in the backyard - what age is best? And can anyone recommend a spot where I can buy (I could only think of the quokka).

Most cats will not go for chickens, they are too big to be prey. My 2 cats won't go for our Rabbit and porcelain had 3 cats and chickens at her parents house and they got on fine.

I have no idea how big the bantoms are though?

Comment

So cute, get the fluffy white one!!

Have no idea about chickens etc, but that website of them makes them look adorable!

Comment

Nugg-itt!!

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
          Most cats will not go for chickens, they are too big to be prey. My 2 cats won't go for our Rabbit and porcelain had 3 cats and chickens at her parents house and they got on fine.

I have no idea how big the bantoms are though?
          I am sitting with one of our two cats (Mugsy) on my lap trying not to gag from his breath. He has just devoured a lizzard and this morning it was a mouse. I don't know why we bother to feed these boys they seem to do just fine hunting their own food. Poor lizard (the mouse I am okay about - except the bit where he bought it into the house).

I do recall Mugsy stalked a couple of small geese in our laneway but he didn't pounce. So maybe he'd be cool with the chookies too. I'm hoping to test the theory that once cats know the chookes are pets and are not food, then they will be okay with them.

Comment

My folks used to have silkies. Didn't lay many eggs and you can't eat em (the chickens, not the eggs). Funny looking fuckers tho

Comment

Oh, and they had 2 cats in the span they had chickens, neither cat cared about them.

Comment

Well I have had both cats and chooks in the one yard and the cat couldn't really care unless they were little fluffy babies. But if they were babies with a protective mother then the cat stayed well away. I have bred silkie bantams and can highly recommend them as a pet/chook/cute garden ornament.... They do lay every day just like a regular Isa Brown or Leg Horn but the eggs are bantam size. We call them lunch box eggs or bacon and egg muffin eggs. No egg ring needed to keep them the right size to fit in a muffin,...

Silkies are hardy little buggers and are not destructive to your garden..Because of their feathered feet they cant really scratch like other chooks. The bigger varieties will decimate a garden in one day. They can make it look like the surface of the moon.

I have a good book on Silkie's if you would like to borrow it...

Yes you can eat the chooks they are like large quail in size once plucked, but most people don't have the heart to eat a pet...

Most chickens lay best for the first 2 years of their lives then they slowly go off the lay. Chickens like Isa Browns are modified for super laying capacity and in a lot of cases will totally stop laying by the end of their 3rd year, thus they become boilers or nuggets...On the farm I kept a mix of Isas' and silkies. The Isas never got full free use of the yard. The silkies were only locked up at night for fox protection...

Sorry about the length of this post but I really wish I could have a couple of fluffies again but we rent so not a ideal pet to try to hide.

Comment

Hia Lolly I have a silkie among my other chooks(araucanas and Ms Isa Brown, am also planning on getting more silkies soon too.
                  Cannot tell you much but no doubt more than you already know....

As for pens I build nice enclosed units that can easily be moved to allow the chickens to work in another area of the garden.

Comment

If only you posted this a few weeks ago as you can get good chooks from the royal show.

You can pick up 'losers' from the competitions for pretty cheap and they are good birds.

mum got a silky bantam a year or two ago and shes a good little chook

do her a favour though and cut her eyebrows so she can see more than a foot around her.

Mum's got a couple of isa browns and her silky. used to have a few other 'show' birds from the royal show but they aren't as tough as Isa's and have died.

One of our isa's lived until 8 and then died of fright when our new dog tried to eat her.
                    Wes

Comment

I thought you were jokin...you werent. Im gunna rename you Farmer Lolly!!

They are cute though. Build a nice big pen for em...not the size of mine...but putting them in a little box doesnt seem fun

Spock should be able to build a nice pen...or else me and you will have a go if you want...its not rocket science!

So have you picked out names yet?
                      Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                      hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

I know if I had chickens, I would have to have at least 1 foghorn - just to do the funny lines too (I say, I say boy)

Check with your shire, but I am not sure what the chook limit is in suburbia - I think it might be 6 or something from memory.
                        Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Lolly, not to put a dampner on things but have you checked with your local council to find out whether you can keep chooks and if so, how many?

Apart from that. Go for it!!!!!
                          Unlikely adventures require unlikely tools.

Comment

You usually find the only thing you can't have in the 'burbs' is a rooster, due to early morning noise, lol.

As to cat's, yes they will kill chooks, have had to put up with a poaching cat, just because they don't always doesn't mean they wont.

A run is a good idea, maybe something along the lines of an avery sized run, bigger than a rabbit hutch etc, just so you can leave them in there all day if need be.

Plus bantams are great breeders if you do get a breeding pair, and the little chicks would be an easy catch for a cat, or even a crow.

They are pretty easy to look after, they like to have pleanty of clean water, chooke pellets are okay for food, but they do LOVE scratching through the garden, looking for worms and bugs, especially when they have chicks.

I used to use broody bantam hens for hatching Austral Orpingtons and Rhode Island Red chook eggs, they are great mums.
                            Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Ive got 5 Mt Isa's...Im just about to head out and put some chicken wire over the top of my pen...to stop the foxes from climbiing in their pen and eating them. Love them actually...we have had them from eggs...they are now 8 weeks old..and so good. Been hand fed and will cuddle in and sleep on your lap. Although the kids nearly did them in. They decided it would be fun to get a chook each and take them onto the trampoline to see if they bounce. they do. and our dogs were salivating in hoping they would drop of the trampoline...damn kids. poor chooks. Is it wrong to want to put the kids in the chook run and let the chooks roam free?
                              Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                              hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X